Requirements for Foid
Application for a FOID is made to the Illinois State Police, FOID, P. O. Box 19233, Springfield, IL 62794-9233. Application forms can be obtained online at Illinois State Police Home Page
or by calling the Firearm Owners IdentiAn applicant is entitled to a FOID if he:
* Is over 21 years of age. If under 21, he must have the written consent of his parent or guardian. In such case, the guardian himself must not be ineligible for a FOID, and the applicant must never have been convicted of a misdemeanor or adjudged a delinquent.
* Has never been convicted of a felony.
* Is not a narcotics addict.
* Has not been a patient in a mental hospital in the preceding five years.
* Is not mentally retarded.
* Is not an alien who is unlawfully present in the United States.
* Is not subject to an existing order of protection prohibiting the possession of a firearm.
* Has not been convicted within the past 5 years of battery, assault, aggravated assault, violation of an order of protection, or a substantially similar offense in another jurisdiction, in which a firearm was used or possessed.
* Has not been convicted of domestic battery or a substantially similar offense in another jurisdiction committed on or after January 1, 1998.
* Has not been convicted within the past five years of domestic battery or a substantially similar offense in another jurisdiction committed before January 1, 1998.
An applicant for a FOID must consent to the Department using the applicant's digital driver's license or Illinois ID card photograph, if available, and signature on the FOID, and must furnish the Department with his driver's license or Illinois ID card number.
The Department must approve or deny the FOID within 30 days and is authorized to deny the FOID only if the applicant does not meet the listed qualifications. The FOID is valid for five years from the date of issuance. The Department shall forward to each FOID holder, a notice of expiration and a renewal notice application, 60 days prior to expiration.
A FOID may be revoked and seized if the holder made a false statement on the application, is no longer eligible, or whose mental condition poses a clear and present danger to self, others, or community.