+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast

Thread: Another School Shooting

I'm all ears. Hassun has disabled reputation
    Thanks

Re: Another School Shooting

Looks like our shooter Stephen Kazmierczak was viable to get one of those FOIDs.
    Because you know, all it takes is ONE armed, trained person to snap and create a bloodbath.

Lady Barronmore Arrianna has become well known Arrianna has become well known Arrianna has become well known Arrianna's Avatar
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Hassun View Post
    Looks like our shooter Stephen Kazmierczak was viable to get one of those FOIDs.
    Because you know, all it takes is ONE armed, trained person to snap and create a bloodbath.
    And ONE more to stop him. The law doesn't stop the ones that snap, no one is going to go "I feel like shooting some people and then killing myself... but it isn't legal so dang, I just can't", but the law can save the ones that don't snap and let them protect themselves.

Nor should he have had it since he had long standing psychiatric issues. That is why recent legislation has been instituted country wide to require stricter psychiatric requirements and file sharing on them.

l Stone Hold l Now We're Cooking! l Thanks to Kaos for the awesome sig!

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Arrianna View Post
    And ONE more to stop him. The law doesn't stop the ones that snap, no one is going to go "I feel like shooting some people and then killing myself... but it isn't legal so dang, I just can't", but the law can save the ones that don't snap and let them protect themselves.

Nor should he have had it since he had long standing psychiatric issues. That is why recent legislation has been instituted country wide to require stricter psychiatric requirements and file sharing on them.
    I didn't see any reports on long standing psychiatric problems.
    And that ONE armed and trained person you speak of can't be responsible for more than one class at the same time or otherwise the success rate of a measure like that is limited. And if the attacker is pretty skilled him/herself you'll actually just create a firefight. Which is not very healthy in a room full of people.
    Not to mention that the moment it becomes clear that shooting up a class doesn't work anymore there's always the explosive way out. A time tested technique with a high success rate if the attacker is willing to die.

Lady Barronmore Arrianna has become well known Arrianna has become well known Arrianna has become well known Arrianna's Avatar
    Thanks

I didn't see any reports on long standing psychiatric problems.
    He was committed by his parents after high school, told a friend he had been released from the military after 6 months on a psychological discharge, and was currently in therapy and taking drugs for treatment. Evidently he had stopped taking his drugs in the last few weeks and everyone said he started acting weird.

FOXNews.com - NIU Campus Gunman's Friendly Exterior Masked Troubled Past
    A former employee at a Chicago psychiatric treatment center said Kazmierczak's parents placed him there after high school. She said he used to cut himself, and had resisted taking his medications.

He had a short-lived stint as a prison guard that ended abruptly when he didn't show up for work. He also was in the Army for about six months in 2001-02, but he told a friend he'd gotten a psychological discharge.
    Illinois gunman 'stopped his medication' - Telegraph
    Police were in the room within two minutes of getting the call but did not have time to fire a single shot as Kazmierczak was already dead on the stage.

Thanks

Ah, I just read the Reuters article on the event as well.
    Illinois college shooter stopped medication: police | U.S. | Reuters

However, he would have still been applicable for that FOID you're talking about. He seems to have bought the guns legally without any sort of trowble. And considering the speed and randomness of his actions, I highly doubt one person with a firearm would have prevented this shooting at all.

as he fired more than 50 shots in a matter of seconds from a lecture hall stage, Grady said.
    Apparently he had been taking medication" but stopped and had become "somewhat erratic" in the last two weeks, Grady said. He did not describe what kind of medication was involved.

"There were no red flags. He was an outstanding student, an awarded student" who was even "revered" by faculty and fellow students, Grady said. "A fairly normal, undistressed person."
    Grady said the shooter had been enrolled at the University of Illinois at Urbana-Champaign in the central part of the state, far removed from Northern, a 25,000-student school 65 miles west of Chicago.

A federal firearms agent said Kazmierczak bought a shotgun and a handgun nine days ago in Champaign, apparently legally.
    Again, just increasing the amount of weapons seems like a very short-sighted 'solution' (if you can even call it that) to me. Changing every public place into something resembling a maximum security prison won't really improve the situation either.

The accompanying video "Campus shooting sprees sweep US" also says some interesting things to the 'concealed carry' enthusiasts.
    If something does happen, now you have other students and faculty pulling out their weapons and it's going to be very difficult for the police and the security people when they respond, to know who is who the victim is and the person that's responsible for the action. So I think it's going to add to the crisis.

Also, people, this isn't just a discussion between me and Arrianna. If you have something to say, don't hold back. Having more than two views on these types of situations would surely be enlightening.
    Last edited by Hassun; Feb 17, 2008 at 07:30 AM.

Thanks

Also, people, this isn't just a discussion between me and Arrianna. If you have something to say, don't hold back. Having more than two views on these types of situations would surely be enlightening.
    I don't know, it is starting to look like it is just the two of us.

Barronmore works on a campus that allows concealed weapons. The security there has 3 steps they recommend for those who do.
    1. Tell the campus security who you are and that you are armed so they can recognize you in an emergency.
    2. If a shooter comes in or pulls a gun get under cover, ideally in a separate room where you can lock the door.
    3. Have a cell phone with you and call campus security (speed dial) or 911. Tell them where you are and where the shooter is.
    Then you defend yourself if necessary.

Either way a 2 minute response time is pretty impressive. I am not sure it could be improved on without someone trained in gun use actually being present, in the room.

You's Trollin Pro Leafblower Champion, Helicopter Champion ketaro is making a name for themselves ketaro is making a name for themselves ketaro's Avatar
    Thanks

They should do background checks on people who wants to buy guns to prevent this type of tragedies.

~jUsT sMiLe~ _gwenibe_ may be famous one day _gwenibe_ may be famous one day _gwenibe_'s Avatar
    Thanks

Yeah, it could take one 'normal or sensible' person to take a crazy gun man down, but too bad for the one or two people that got shot before that 'sensible' person could- considering that if that 'crazy' person could never get a gun in the first place, no one would have been hurt or killed. Prevention is often better than dealing with the problem when it comes up, especially when it comes to guns

Allowing students and teachers to carry weapons on campus only seems to be creating a more paranoid feeling about people and the world and I personally don't think it would change a thing. Sure, maybe the killer will only kill 2 instead of 30 students, but those are still 2 people lost and considering that if the gun man couldn't get his hand on the gun in the first place if the laws were a little bit stricter, those two lives could have been saved.

But, America seems unwilling to give up their 'right to bare arms'. So the only thing for them really is to just beef up security.

I personally don't think that weapons should be in the arms of untrained 'civilians' leave it to the police, army, farmers or guns sport people not the everyday person who some have no idea how to use.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast