+ Reply to Thread
Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast

Thread: Another School Shooting

Otaku ryomakurosaki is off to a good start ryomakurosaki's Avatar
    Thanks

Re: Another School Shooting

Quote Originally Posted by gren View Post
    And for what purpose, especially since the guy wasn't even a student at NIU and really had no reason to even be around there if he was attending U of I (the two schools are about 170 miles apart)? What drives someone to barge into a room full of people they don't know and open fire? What can schools/students do to help prevent these types of occurences?
    I am not sure why he was even there. Maybe if they dug into his past, maybe he wanted to attend that school and didn't get accepted and wanted to seek revenge. Of course this is just a theory but it doesn't make up for the damage he cause and deaths of innocent people. I think school needs to up police force at some schools. I am disgusted that people like those are alive. I am shocked the goverment really hasn't done anything to prove that this killing is going to stop. But this is the land of the free...unforunatly that meaning is taken in all directions.
    [/CENTER][/COLOR][/FONT]

anti-semantics Pub Quiz Champion tsurara may be famous one day tsurara may be famous one day tsurara's Avatar
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by ketaro View Post
    They should do background checks on people who wants to buy guns to prevent this type of tragedies.
    uh... they do, and they did.

It didn't help.

Your psychiatric history does not become part of your criminal record (unless you're committed in connection with a crime)... or any record that can be publically accessed.

The only indicator of psychiatric health is a yes/no question which can easily be lied through.

Otaku ryomakurosaki is off to a good start ryomakurosaki's Avatar
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by tsurara View Post
    uh... they do, and they did.

It didn't help.

Your psychiatric history does not become part of your criminal record (unless you're committed in connection with a crime)... or any record that can be publically accessed.

The only indicator of psychiatric health is a yes/no question which can easily be lied through.
    I don't believe each school is going to check each person for psychatric problems. These people are sick in the mind and shouldn't be just jailed. But I am not with the goverment and I highly doubt the goverment will pay attention to a girl with a big mouth (lol). I don't believe we really can do anything to prevent it except to increase the police force. But polices have their own problems as well. So...shooting are going to happen and I think we will do something to prevent it in the future but for the moment I don't think we can really do anything.
    [/CENTER][/COLOR][/FONT]

Mage of Eternity Joe Mage is making a name for themselves Joe Mage is making a name for themselves Joe Mage's Avatar
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by _gwenibe_ View Post
    Yeah, it could take one 'normal or sensible' person to take a crazy gun man down, but too bad for the one or two people that got shot before that 'sensible' person could- considering that if that 'crazy' person could never get a gun in the first place, no one would have been hurt or killed. Prevention is often better than dealing with the problem when it comes up, especially when it comes to guns

Allowing students and teachers to carry weapons on campus only seems to be creating a more paranoid feeling about people and the world and I personally don't think it would change a thing. Sure, maybe the killer will only kill 2 instead of 30 students, but those are still 2 people lost and considering that if the gun man couldn't get his hand on the gun in the first place if the laws were a little bit stricter, those two lives could have been saved.

But, America seems unwilling to give up their 'right to bare arms'. So the only thing for them really is to just beef up security.

I personally don't think that weapons should be in the arms of untrained 'civilians' leave it to the police, army, farmers or guns sport people not the everyday person who some have no idea how to use.
    U know ppl seem ta blame weapons for a killin' and say that they should b banned all together and so on and so forth. But what ppl have failed ta realise is that a gun is an inanimate object, it cannot get up, walk inta a room, and shoot someone; it takes a person ta do that. Do u seriously think that by bannin' guns that it would stop a determined person? And if guns r banned, what's next, Knives? How 'bout kitchen utensils? Or maybe all vehicles?

Thing 'bout it is that it doesn' matter what u ban, it not goin' ta do much ta solve the problem of a mentally unstable, determined person from attemptin' ta kill or harm others. The problem is the disturbed members of society and the ease of access ta the items that r used in such situations, not the items themselves. Although I agree that their access ta such items should b made much more difficult, bannin' them out right will not solve the problem. If anythin', there's an equal probability that it could serve ta exasperate the problem. Everythin' has a price and consequence, freedom and safety r no exceptions ta this. And sometimes in order ta b free it means that, ta some extent, we need ta take safety inta our own hands and that if we want others ta make us safe; then we must sacrifice many of our freedoms. The idea of bannin' guns in the U.S has much broader implecations than most would believe, we need ta think very carefully 'bout what it is that we want.

Sanity doesn't exist, it's just an excuse cooked up by crazy people to justify their actions. My myspace page: www.myspace.com/joemage

~jUsT sMiLe~ _gwenibe_ may be famous one day _gwenibe_ may be famous one day _gwenibe_'s Avatar
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Joe Mage View Post
    U know ppl seem ta blame weapons for a killin' and say that they should b banned all together and so on and so forth. But what ppl have failed ta realise is that a gun is an inanimate object, it cannot get up, walk inta a room, and shoot someone; it takes a person ta do that. Do u seriously think that by bannin' guns that it would stop a determined person? And if guns r banned, what's next, Knives? How 'bout kitchen utensils? Or maybe all vehicles?

Thing 'bout it is that it doesn' matter what u ban, it not goin' ta do much ta solve the problem of a mentally unstable, determined person from attemptin' ta kill or harm others. The problem is the disturbed members of society and the ease of access ta the items that r used in such situations, not the items themselves. Although I agree that their access ta such items should b made much more difficult, bannin' them out right will not solve the problem. If anythin', there's an equal probability that it could serve ta exasperate the problem. Everythin' has a price and consequence, freedom and safety r no exceptions ta this. And sometimes in order ta b free it means that, ta some extent, we need ta take safety inta our own hands and that if we want others ta make us safe; then we must sacrifice many of our freedoms. The idea of bannin' guns in the U.S has much broader implecations than most would believe, we need ta think very carefully 'bout what it is that we want.
    and I agree, people do kill people, but what were guns made for in the first place? To kill people. and yes, I do agree, there is obviously some deeper problem, or else there wouldn't be all these school and college shootings in the first place.

Look at all the places that have stricter guns laws ( and in this case I said stricter - not banned altogether) and how many school shootings that they have - they may not have completely got rid of gun crimes, but at least it prevents kids going to schools with guns and shooting their fellow students.

People aren't going to want to fix there problems up quickly nor does it happen over night - but why should people have to be shot up because some one is mentally ill?

Think of all the cases of people that would be saved if that one mentally ill couldn't get his hand on a gun? he wasn't able to just walk up to a store and buy one? Lives saved.

As I've already said, banning guns in American seems pointless as no one really wants to give their guns up. But there is no harm in making the process tougher to weave out potential 'mad men'

Gun may not kill people directly but they sure do help.

I'm all ears. Hassun has disabled reputation
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Arrianna View Post
    Barronmore works on a campus that allows concealed weapons. The security there has 3 steps they recommend for those who do.
    1. Tell the campus security who you are and that you are armed so they can recognize you in an emergency.
    2. If a shooter comes in or pulls a gun get under cover, ideally in a separate room where you can lock the door.
    3. Have a cell phone with you and call campus security (speed dial) or 911. Tell them where you are and where the shooter is.

Then you defend yourself if necessary.
    Having a good communication with the police like this school in Illinois had is pretty much the best you can do. A procedure like you listed is good but it would work just as good (if not better) without someone amongst students being armed. Considering the speed at which an attack like this happens concealed carry would not improve the situation at all. It would most likely make the situation a lot more dangerous and chaotic. Especially for the police.

My version:
    1. When you hear gunshots or the class is notified that there are killers roaming around the campus. Immediately lock the classroom doors and barricade the entrance(s). Then take cover as good as possible.
    2. If someone has a cell phone, call campus security and 911. Tell them where you are and (if possible) information about the gunman/gunmen.

If a gunman suddenly bursts into class guns blazing (as they probably usually do) the only thing you should do is take cover and try to call 911. Though most will be to busy saving their own life at such a time to call 911.
    Starting a firefight is a very bad thing to do at such a time because of all the innocent bystanders and general panic.
    You basically don't have a lot of chance to end up with 0 casualties in a situation like the recent one in Illinois. Having another armed person in the room would not have changed the outcome of that event.

Mage of Eternity Joe Mage is making a name for themselves Joe Mage is making a name for themselves Joe Mage's Avatar
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by _gwenibe_ View Post
    and I agree, people do kill people, but what were guns made for in the first place? To kill people. and yes, I do agree, there is obviously some deeper problem, or else there wouldn't be all these school and college shootings in the first place.

Look at all the places that have stricter guns laws ( and in this case I said stricter - not banned altogether) and how many school shootings that they have - they may not have completely got rid of gun crimes, but at least it prevents kids going to schools with guns and shooting their fellow students.

People aren't going to want to fix there problems up quickly nor does it happen over night - but why should people have to be shot up because some one is mentally ill?

Think of all the cases of people that would be saved if that one mentally ill couldn't get his hand on a gun? he wasn't able to just walk up to a store and buy one? Lives saved.

As I've already said, banning guns in American seems pointless as no one really wants to give their guns up. But there is no harm in making the process tougher to weave out potential 'mad men'

Gun may not kill people directly but they sure do help.
    Guns may have taken many innocent lives, but they have also save jus' as many, if not more so. I agree that we need ta make it tougher for ppl who shouldn' have guns ta get them, that wasn' my point. My point is that in order for us ta effectively deal wit such problems is ta first recognise that it's ppl, not guns, that r the problem. It's not pointless 'cause no one wants ta give up their guns; which understandable given the fact that guns r so deeply engrained in our society; it's pointless 'cause their r so many different ways for ppl, who r determined ta harm other beings, ta do so, not jus' wit guns. Yeah, guns sure do help kill ppl, as does fertilizer, knives, cars, etc.; the point is if some1 is determined ta hurt others, their goin' ta do it by any means necessary and closin' one door only opens another. What we need is an effective way of dealin' wit ppl like this as soon as possible ta keep them from harmin' others or, in the event that it can' b prevented, ensure that the loss of life is kept ta a bare minimium. We shouldn' punish an entire society 'cause of a few ppl, who feel that their lives aren' worth crap and wanna hurt others 'cause of it.

As far as that guy is concerned, there's no tellin' if his havin' a gun or not would or wouldn' have saved more lives. It's possible, but I wouldn' bet on it. There's a very good possibility that he could've used other means, a bomb, a car, etc. Do u know how easy it is ta make a bomb? U can even look up recipes on the internet and make them from home-made ingredients. Not ta mention that, if memory serves me; so feel free ta correct me if I'm wrong, almost half of all gun-related violent crimes were committed by a perpetrator who had obtained a gun through illegal means. As the old sayin' goes, "There's more than one way ta skin a cat."

Sanity doesn't exist, it's just an excuse cooked up by crazy people to justify their actions. My myspace page: www.myspace.com/joemage

~jUsT sMiLe~ _gwenibe_ may be famous one day _gwenibe_ may be famous one day _gwenibe_'s Avatar
    Thanks

But how many people have to die before the problem of 'why' is sorted out?
    While people are jumping up and down saying and trying to fix 'why' - kids are going to school with guns and shooting each other.

As I've already said, I agree with you, it's the people that's the problem - they pull the trigger - what I'm trying to get at is that solving peoples problem is a long term issue. Why should people die needlessly as we are trying to solve the 'why'. There is no short term solution to the 'why' in society, it takes time research and money. Stricter gun laws can prevent it in the mean time.

Sometime it's best to sacrifice something for the benefits of society

+ Reply to Thread
Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast