Closed Thread
Page 3 of 13 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 ... LastLast

Thread: Is anyone here interested in Martial Arts?

Mercenary SousukeSagara may be famous one day SousukeSagara may be famous one day SousukeSagara's Avatar
    Thanks
    It's not good in fighting though... But it's very calm and peaceful in mind...
    Not brutal, not hard... Just calm... But more important is how you defend yourself, if you can use it as defence...
    You can apply this if you can... Nothing's impossible...

God's Little Girl blue_rebel may be famous one day blue_rebel may be famous one day blue_rebel's Avatar
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Shodokan View Post
    If you actually want to learn how to fight you have to remember that martial arts are ugly. The uglier it is the more effective it is. The type of kung fu you were talking about earlier was a performance art. It's no good for fighting. As your sister realizes she can't defend herself with that stuff I guess it's okay.
    Uh, she just likes it because it looks cool. She's a huge fan of Jet Li and she always wanted to do kungfu, but my mom's the "martial arts are not for girls!" type. She let me do karate, though, cuz I threw a tantrum when she said no. I think I was 8 then. Wu-shu definitely doesn't seem like a fighting-type art, but hey, even tai-chi helps in self-defense, you know. You'd be surprised. I'm sure there are some benefits one can get from wu-shu that in some way or other contributes to defending oneself.

And believe you me, I've never thought of martial arts as ugly. The way I see it, the word "art" is there because that's exactly what it is - an art. And there's nothing ugly about it if you're skilled in what you're doing. Judo's not ugly, boxing's not ugly, pro-wrestling's not ugly. There are techniques involved that take ages to learn, and if you pay close attention, it's like watching a choreographed dance.

Maybe it's just me - I'm the kind of person who watches good team run the 4x100m relay and go, "OMIGOSH!!! That's SO beautiful!!!" and gush about it for the next half-hour or so.

Devoted Otaku Shodokan may be famous one day Shodokan may be famous one day Shodokan's Avatar
    Thanks
    When I said ugly I really meant that it's brutal. The art in martial art really means skill.

art1  /ɑrt/ Pronunciation Key - Show Spelled Pronunciation[ahrt] Pronunciation Key - Show IPA Pronunciation

–noun 1. the quality, production, expression, or realm, according to aesthetic principles, of what is beautiful, appealing, or of more than ordinary significance.
    2. the class of objects subject to aesthetic criteria; works of art collectively, as paintings, sculptures, or drawings: a museum of art; an art collection.
    3. a field, genre, or category of art: Dance is an art.
    4. the fine arts collectively, often excluding architecture: art and architecture.
    5. any field using the skills or techniques of art: advertising art; industrial art.
    6. (in printed matter) illustrative or decorative material: Is there any art with the copy for this story?
    7. the principles or methods governing any craft or branch of learning: the art of baking; the art of selling.
    8. the craft or trade using these principles or methods.
    9. skill in conducting any human activity: a master at the art of conversation.
    10. a branch of learning or university study, esp. one of the fine arts or the humanities, as music, philosophy, or literature.
    11. arts, a. (used with a singular verb) the humanities: a college of arts and sciences.
    b. (used with a plural verb) liberal arts.

12. skilled workmanship, execution, or agency, as distinguished from nature.
    13. trickery; cunning: glib and devious art.
    14. studied action; artificiality in behavior.
    15. an artifice or artful device: the innumerable arts and wiles of politics.
    16. Archaic. science, learning, or scholarship.

God's Little Girl blue_rebel may be famous one day blue_rebel may be famous one day blue_rebel's Avatar
    Thanks
    And if you read closely, you'll notice that I implied "beauty from skill" too. What's ugly is what someone looks like after you've bloodied him up - but the execution of movements is what I find beautiful. Like I said, maybe it's just me - I find the weirdest things beautiful. +__+

Kill Bill included.
    (minus the swordfighting bit - they could've done with more training)

Devoted Otaku Shodokan may be famous one day Shodokan may be famous one day Shodokan's Avatar
    Thanks
    Okay I get it now. I thought the Kill Bill fight scene with the crazy 88 was pretty too.

Otaku rockroc may be famous one day rockroc may be famous one day rockroc's Avatar
    Thanks
    I'm a martial artist, I practice Chinese Kung Fu Styles: Shaolin, Long Fist, and Broadsword

Newbie sucks2bu may be famous one day sucks2bu may be famous one day sucks2bu's Avatar
    Thanks
    i box and i know a lot of people who do mma and i go down and train with them cause they need help with their hand, but they teach me some thing to. i know a little Brazilian jujitsu and Muay Thai
    there's nothing funny about a one eyed bunny

that'll teach the fist person i see

Otaku rockroc may be famous one day rockroc may be famous one day rockroc's Avatar
    Thanks
    and what?, you didn't finish your sentence

Closed Thread
Page 3 of 13 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 ... LastLast