+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Thread: Awards/Achievements

Shichibukai JefferyXie may be famous one day JefferyXie may be famous one day JefferyXie's Avatar
    Thanks

Awards/Achievements

i have seen ppl getting awards for doing well in competition at schools or other things outside school n have achieve things dat they r proud of.My question 2 u is,have u got any awards for anything n if possible,discuss with wat u have acieved so far in life dat u r proud of.

Community Dude Asteroids Champion dude101 may be famous one day dude101 may be famous one day dude101's Avatar
    Thanks

Re: Awards/Achievements

awards, meh i stop caring about those long ago. when i was like in primary school the award where just there to keep kid under control. i mean they did look good and all but once i figured out what they where i just stop caring.

as for awards for competitions and stuff, well lets see. i have gotten a few of them over time, but was a proud of them well. to me they are just another bit of paper that surposively say that either "wow ur smart" or "u work hard" but i don't need a piece of paper to say that, kind pointless to me.

the only thing that i can come up with award is that the only thing they are useful is when u need to get a job later in life. i mean they wont make their desision on ur awards alone, but it might give u the edge on getting the job over ppl that don't have these shinny pieces of paper or trophies or whatever.

AO shady bystander Comboling Champion bassdudez may be famous one day bassdudez may be famous one day bassdudez's Avatar
    Thanks

I have received quite a few awards for competitions and whatnot..... but I dont really see them as anything special... Sure, they're symbols of achievement, but most of them are only kept in a box somehow, and stored in a place somewhere, rarely even seen or remembered again.....

Hmm, what I do appreciate though is being regarded as the most artistic in class. This is probably because I have finally found my passion, something I enjoy doing, and also because it is something that I actually worked hard for, not just given to me. All my life I was really terrible at drawing and arts and coloring. However, when I started to develop an interest for anime, I also found the desire to be able to create the world inhabited by the characters that I so often watched...... And there started the practices, founded upon many books, pencils, sketch pads, etc...... and I finally had a reason of enjoying art XD And this just goes to show that nothing is impossible, even though I was the most horrible artist when I was young TT_TT
    Kastelic's creation

God's Little Girl blue_rebel may be famous one day blue_rebel may be famous one day blue_rebel's Avatar
    Thanks

I'm big on winning. Not winning a competition really tears me up. It's probably because I'm from a family where my parents are always bugging me and my sisters to go all out and achieve this and that, and because my sisters are all high achievers in their own right, it would upset my parents if I wasn't one either.

I've been getting subject prizes for English and Math since elementary school, and Physics in high school. I used to get prizes for a lot of other stuff too - athletics, debate, netball, Forensics, gymnastics, but all only up to state level. And quizzes and other academic competitions too, like the Euclid, UNSW Competition (by subject), Math Olympiad, that sort of thing... for me it's kind of like an obligation.

People often ask me why I don't take part in competitions related to my interests/talents (i.e. music, drawing, photography). Strangely, I never feel up for a competition in any of those areas. I'm competitive, but I just feel like it's no fun to compete with other musicians. I'm keen to do all that in the future, career-wise, but in a formal competition? Nah. Dunno why.

@ dude101: Awards aren't meant to keep kids under control. They're meant to show a kid that his/her hard work's paid off and has been recognised, and that if they want more awards they know what to do. I don't really see the connection between awards and keeping kids under control, but you shouldn't make the concept of rewarding/awarding seem so negative. It's motivation, you know. (arrrrgh!! Business Management is running through my head again!! I've been studying too much... >__>)

Newbie xmaux may be famous one day xmaux may be famous one day xmaux's Avatar
    Thanks

i was close to getting one. yet my teachers disappointed me. i worked really hard. yet they gave me nothing as usual.

Community Dude Asteroids Champion dude101 may be famous one day dude101 may be famous one day dude101's Avatar
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by blue_rebel View Post
    @ dude101: Awards aren't meant to keep kids under control. They're meant to show a kid that his/her hard work's paid off and has been recognised, and that if they want more awards they know what to do. I don't really see the connection between awards and keeping kids under control, but you shouldn't make the concept of rewarding/awarding seem so negative. It's motivation, you know. (arrrrgh!! Business Management is running through my head again!! I've been studying too much... >__>)
    well the awards that i'm taking about are those award systems. where u are given awards but u need to get so many award to get this biger award and so on. so to get those biger and better award u continue to study and become well behaved in class.. i guess i'm really taking about those award where they are pretty much given to every1. the one that have like little meaning.

and as for motivating, well i'm a person who just like to get the job done. i don't really care if u think its good or not, and award just annoy me, but if its like money then sure i'm all for it. but to me, it really is just trying to exploit as much as ppl can get out of their students and later on workforce.

God's Little Girl blue_rebel may be famous one day blue_rebel may be famous one day blue_rebel's Avatar
    Thanks

I'm trying to think of an award that is given to everyone.......... +__+

You know, I don't work just for the awards. I can be pretty lazy, but when the time calls for work, I have to give it my best or I'll just end up feeling really lousy at the end of the day. No work, no A. No A, no 4.0 GPA. No 4.0, no go to good college. It's that simple. I like winning, but if it's the only thing that motivates me to work... uh, well, I must be quite a sadcase. About the award system you mentioned, I haven't come across anything like it. A cumulative system like that doesn't really work, because eventually people are going to get tired of working their butts off for nothing, since there'll always be a genius who gets all the prizes for half the work. And with everyone working so hard, the award recipient's just going to keep changing, and......... yeah, in the end you don't get to accumulate as much as you'd like. Maybe I'm understanding it wrongly. I dunno. Never experienced anything like it before.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by blue_rebel View Post
    I'm trying to think of an award that is given to everyone.......... +__+

You know, I don't work just for the awards. I can be pretty lazy, but when the time calls for work, I have to give it my best or I'll just end up feeling really lousy at the end of the day. No work, no A. No A, no 4.0 GPA. No 4.0, no go to good college. It's that simple. I like winning, but if it's the only thing that motivates me to work... uh, well, I must be quite a sadcase. About the award system you mentioned, I haven't come across anything like it. A cumulative system like that doesn't really work, because eventually people are going to get tired of working their butts off for nothing, since there'll always be a genius who gets all the prizes for half the work. And with everyone working so hard, the award recipient's just going to keep changing, and......... yeah, in the end you don't get to accumulate as much as you'd like. Maybe I'm understanding it wrongly. I dunno. Never experienced anything like it before.
    yep thats basically it, i have to had to put up with an award system like that for most of my schooling life. although now at my new school they no longer have it, which is a good thing. cause whenever we used to have these so call 'award' assembulies we had to spend and hour of people just walking up and collecting award which to me just made it pointless.

i'm not saying that i'm against awards, i'm just againsts those pointless awards and i'm just sick of seeing them everywhere. and as u said u have a motivation to do well in school and so on, and that is what truely motivates u. but is there really a need to have these awards, cause in the end u already know where u want to go. u already know what u have to do. so in the end y do we need an award (excluding money and prizes)? just seems kinda pointless to me.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast