+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Thread: Is it bad to stay long with a computer?

Otaku bcvl1124 is off to a good start
    Thanks

Is it bad to stay long with a computer?

Yeah. Cause my parents says that if you stay with the computer the whole time you'll get blind and cannot see anymore. . .

I stay with the computer about 24 hours... xD Cause every Saturday I am bored. And their isn't any T.V. in my apartment. :l

So. . . Is it true? What are your opinions?

Sophist of Satire Exoparadapsyphobia may be famous one day Exoparadapsyphobia may be famous one day Exoparadapsyphobia's Avatar
    Thanks

Re: Is it bad to stay long with a computer?

First let me reply to your question with my own; why would you ask for opinions when there have been actual studies conducted about this which you can draw facts from? Not to mention I can settle your query by telling you from personal experience that yes, your parents are right; starring at computer screens for abnormally long amounts of time can cause you to become short-sighted, and in addition it can cause light to seem distorted by a halo around the light source and mild to severe double vision when looking at lights if you have your monitor on a bright setting. If you're around computer screens for as long as you say you are this is probably already happening or has happend to you. I highly suggest that you find some reports about this particular subject and read them thoroughly so you can learn how to preserve your vision.
    Last edited by Exoparadapsyphobia; Oct 20, 2007 at 11:03 PM.
    Death is your most loyal companion, for he will never fail you.

Community Dude Asteroids Champion dude101 may be famous one day dude101 may be famous one day dude101's Avatar
    Thanks

well it was widely believe that sitting close to the T.V. for a long time could possible make u blind or short sighted, but i think the reason lied with the cathode rays, since most early T.V's used cathode ray tube to produce the image on the screen, but thats was only a precaution, not sure if it did make u blind (this can be also for looking at CRT monitors, they run from the same technology).

but doing anything that causes strain on ur eyes will make u short sighted. so if ur eyes hurt after a long time at looking at the monitor, then they are probably right and the computer monitor is making u short sighted, as said per above.

Otaku Panda Golf Champion Ryoga_TheLost may be famous one day Ryoga_TheLost may be famous one day Ryoga_TheLost's Avatar
    Thanks

Well, I would go crazy if I didn't have my computer because it's like a drug for me. I know that I would survive without one but I think I would be bored out of my mind. Granted when I was a kid I never would be on the computer that much, if not at all.

To answer your question...I do think that it's wrong if you are on 24hrs EVERYDAY of the week. One day isn't all that bad i think.

Ecchi Enthusiast Classic Donkey Kong Champion, Balloon Bomber Champion, Fishing Impossible Champion, Festival Of History : Archery Champion, Dare Devil Champion, Little Monkey Does Champion, Dragon Champion, Barty Champion, Cheesy Champion, Chicken Attack Champion, Moo Lander Champion, Hang Stan Champion, Hangaroo Champion, Sentenced Champion, Canadair Champion Miroku4444 may be famous one day Miroku4444 may be famous one day Miroku4444's Avatar
    Thanks

I don't think doing anything that long is good. You might wanna try taking some breaks and getting a LCD monitor. They have hardly and glare and are way better for your eyes. Also are you sitting well far enough back from the monitor. Staring at it real close isnt good.

Otaku bcvl1124 is off to a good start
    Thanks

Okay. . .Yeah I know it is bad for my entire health to seat all day staring at a screen. . . But I tried to stop this bad habbit of mine. But it always resists me to stay with the computer the whole day. :/

But I am not short sighted I am more than a near sigthed. But anyway. . . I'll try to not come to the computer for that long. Cause in my apartment their isn't anything to do. . . And most especially if I wanna go out to the mall my dad always says, "No." So that's why I stay very long in the computer.

But I also read books alot. . . But all the books that I read are boring. Cause I read it like 20 times and more possibly. :/

When I was in my old country which is the Philippines. I don't stay that long. I visit to my friends house and party sometimes and go to the mall. :/

But now that I am in America. . . I don't know all the places here. Because I just arrived in America like August 14, 2007. So I rarely don't go out that much like in the Philippines. :/

Banned aceman67 has become well known aceman67 has become well known aceman67 has become well known aceman67's Avatar
    Thanks

all the talk about a computer screen causing eye problems stems from the screens refreash rate. While LCD monitors aren't as bad as CRT, it is always better to set your monitors refresh rate above 60htz.

what 60htz means is the screen is actually turning off and on 60 times a second, which is actually slow enough for your eyes to try and compensate for, and this flickering causes strain on the muscles in your eyes, and continued strain leads to problems.

The higher the refresh rate, the better it is for your eyes.

If you don't know how to change the refresh rate on your monitor, here's a picture of where to find it

Make sure the check box that says "hide modes this monitor cannot display" is checked, as using modes that are not supported can damage your monitor.

and yes, that is Gordon Freeman ^__^

Otaku Tom2Ace is off to a good start Tom2Ace's Avatar
    Thanks

ok for a start i agree and disagree because staying at the computer for 24 hours cant make you blind but it can effect you sight but it isn't really right to do that anyway because if will effect you mind because its all you will think about

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast