+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Becoming a Writer for Japanese Animation

The Joker Reincarnate Curveball Champion Jokerman may be famous one day Jokerman's Avatar
    Thanks

Becoming a Writer for Japanese Animation

Hello
    Before, I was trying to become a artist for Japanese Manga and Anime but I think that I would be best suited as a writer because not only are my drawing skills lacking in how I want my Manga/Anime to be displayed as but I think my input would be better if I put my idea's out first (the idea being the story) and having people built it up to make it better by adding the artwork and professional ideas that I can't.

So how would I go about becoming a writer for Japanese Animation?

Thanks

-Jokerman

I believe…whatever doesn't kill you simply makes you…stranger.
    Jokerman's Twitter Page: www.twitter.com/JokermanUno
    Thanx Shin Ryuga!!!!

Railgun Assimilate Champion Sazuka may be famous one day Sazuka may be famous one day Sazuka's Avatar
    Thanks

Re: Becoming a Writer for Japanese Animation

Well, if you're planning on working with Japanese people, you might want to learn the language first.

Grouchy Old Anime Otaku LenMiyata has become well known LenMiyata has become well known LenMiyata has become well known LenMiyata's Avatar
    Thanks

Grumble Grumble Grumble

Like most US production houses, Japanese Anime Studios will only use in-house writers, to avoid ownership/trademark/copyright issues with the story. And stories that are not in-house in origin are usually based on either published novels or Manga publications with verifiable trademark/ownership of the property. There has been some cases where an Anime series was based on a self-published doujinshi works ('Last Exile' and 'Afro Samurai' come to mind...) but since both were written by established professional Manga artists, questions concerning ownership and trademarks were not an issue...
    FAVOURITE THREADS EXPLAIN why, or risk an infraction.
    Rantings of a Grouchy Old Anime Otaku

God's Little Girl blue_rebel may be famous one day blue_rebel may be famous one day blue_rebel's Avatar
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Sazuka View Post
    Well, if you're planning on working with Japanese people, you might want to learn the language first.
    Ditto.

After which you'd start off really small, writing for your friends or other people just starting out as artists. And then you'd have to hope really hard your stuff gets published, after which you'd still have to continue hoping really hard a production house takes notice. I reckon that might take 5 years (if you're really hardworking in churning out good stuff regularly) or more.

The Joker Reincarnate Curveball Champion Jokerman may be famous one day Jokerman's Avatar
    Thanks

All of this is great advice but none of these are really, REALLY answering my questions. I want to know how to become one, what roads need to be taken. Should I start a small business like Todd McFarland (The creator of Spawn) and publicize my own work or is there another way?

Thanx Shin Ryuga!!!!

Otaku Aleister Sithis is off to a good start Aleister Sithis's Avatar
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Jokerman View Post
    All of this is great advice but none of these are really, REALLY answering my questions. I want to know how to become one, what roads need to be taken. Should I start a small business like Todd McFarland (The creator of Spawn) and publicize my own work or is there another way?
    I personally don't know much of what to do. However what i want to do is slightly like your road...kinda. I'm hoping to be an Actor, Video Game Developer (A writer for the story and character design or something) along with animation. However I don't know where to start other than college. I'd like to create my own business. I say create your own, publish your work and see how that goes and try to "ally" up with some Anime/Magna cooperation and see if they'll take in your writing and such.

As I said I don't know much, but that's an idea. x.X

"And my soul from out that shadow that lies floating on the floor
    Shall be lifted — nevermore!"

Mathematical!! Bugz Champion, Ant Bully Champion, Chainsaw the childern Champion, 3D Net Blazer Champion, Cricket Challenge Champion, Big Uglies Champion, Body Check Champion, Desktop Fishing Champion, All Star Skate Park Champion, Chuckie Egg Champion, Birdy Champion, Anthrax Jelly Champion, Air Typer Champion, Word Pads Champion, Crash Test Dummy Curling Champion, The Mini Jump Game Champion, Chairlift Challenge Champion, Astroboy vs One Bad Storm Champion, Fight Man Champion, Blot In Hell Champion, Beeku Adventure Champion, Connect2 Champion, Atomica Champion, Cannonball Follies 2 Champion, Bada Boing Champion, BeachDefence Champion, Alkie Kong 2 Champion atomik_sprout has become well known atomik_sprout has become well known atomik_sprout has become well known atomik_sprout's Avatar
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Jokerman View Post
    I'm trying to be a cartoonist and I can tell you it's a very competitive business. Here in the US, if you wanna work at places like Marvel, DC and Image--even the syndicates for the newspaper comics, you need to submit your work and wait for approval/conact. On average, there are at least 6,000 submissions a year and only 3 to 6 are selected. Credentials are kinda important in most cases as well (IE: Art degree, good portfolio, recommendations, etc).

However, although I'm not certain if they still have this option, Marvel has a smaller label called Epic. They have a deal where you can submit your work, be it writing, pencil, ink, color and if you're accepted, you get a contract. Writers get to assemble the crew, y'know the other guys. I've been holding a copy of the application for about three years now because I can't decide if that's the path for me. Plus, I wanna write AND draw; so you can see my dilemma.

I suppose you could create your own label. I've been considering the option for a very long time now. It wouldn't be so bad, but you have to get your work noticed. But that's here. In Japan, I'm not too certain on what the process is. I'd love to work there myself, however. You can try submitting your work to TokyoPop's office here in the US. They've got quite a few 'manga' that are creataed by Americans. On their website, you can submit your own manga for people to read. It's one foot in the door, at the very least.
    Last edited by atomik_sprout; Oct 18, 2008 at 01:42 PM. Reason: I had a brain-fart. >_<

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by atomik_sprout View Post
    I'm trying to be a cartoonist and I can tell you it's a very competitive business. Here in the US, if you wanna work at places like Marvel, DC and Image--even the syndicates for the newspaper comics, you need to submit your work and wait for approval/conact. On average, there are at least 6,000 submissions a year and only 3 to 6 are selected. Credentials are kinda important in most cases as well (IE: Art degree, good portfolio, recommendations, etc).

However, although I'm not certain if they still have this option, Marvel has a smaller label called Epic. They have a deal where you can submit your work, be it writing, pencil, ink, color and if you're accepted, you get a contract. Writers get to assemble the crew, y'know the other guys. I've been holding a copy of the application for about three years now because I can't decide if that's the path for me. Plus, I wanna write AND draw; so you can see my dilemma.

I suppose you could create your own label. I've been considering the option for a very long time now. It wouldn't be so bad, but you have to get your work noticed. But that's here. In Japan, I'm not too certain on what the process is. I'd love to work there myself, however. You can try submitting your work to TokyoPop's office here in the US. They've got quite a few 'manga' that are creataed by Americans. On their website, you can submit your own manga for people to read. It's one foot in the door, at the very least.
    now THAT is a good idea, thanks man. Actually that's a VERY good idea....

Thanx Shin Ryuga!!!!

+ Reply to Thread