+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast
Results 9 to 16 of 23

Thread: the big effect

  1. #9
    Banned aceman67 has become well known aceman67 has become well known aceman67 has become well known aceman67's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2004
    Location
    Coalhurst Alberta, Canada
    Posts
    2,900
    Thanks
    11
    Thanked 183 Times in 148 Posts

    Re: the big effect

    Quote Originally Posted by P.R. Princes View Post
    yes theres a big problem with it.
    its also why we are having problems with global warming occurring faster and faster each year.
    Global warming you say? The place where I live just had the coldest winter in 50 years. It got down to almost -45C (-49F), and were I live, we get the Santa Ana winds from California and Mexico coming up and over the Rockies which keeps our temperatures pretty mild in the winter, regardless of "global warming"

  2. #10
    Community Dude Asteroids Champion dude101 may be famous one day dude101 may be famous one day dude101's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Location
    Australia, Newy
    Posts
    725
    Thanks
    1
    Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts

    Re: the big effect

    Quote Originally Posted by aceman67 View Post
    Global warming you say? The place where I live just had the coldest winter in 50 years. It got down to almost -45C (-49F), and were I live, we get the Santa Ana winds from California and Mexico coming up and over the Rockies which keeps our temperatures pretty mild in the winter, regardless of "global warming"
    no, that would still be global warming. since global warming is also affecting our global oceanic current (mid Atlantic current or something like that), many ppl will experience colder weather instead. so i think you are feeling global warming if u just had the coldest winter in 50 yrs! don't forget that the warmer the earth gets the more energy the atmosphere has to use and therefor we should see the rise of more extreme weather (like colder winters, hotter summers, flash flooding, etc), like everyone else has been saying.

    but ecosystems being robust is something i'll agree with you. since most natural ecosystem have to power to remove most toxins and create a livable atmosphere there are a lot more robust than most ppl think. though, there are always exceptions and most of the ecosystem processes takes a lot of time.

    though... if u disrupt the ecosystem and ruin the environment. i think that's when the problems start to arise. in which case companies have played a major part with and not just with deforestation but with mining and oil drilling (thats a big one). both of these act not just disfigure the environment by polluting and destroying the vegetation and can lead to disruptions in the ecosystem from the interaction of the release toxins. but i'll admit most companies these days have started to clean up there act and have employed more environmental friendly approach.

  3. #11
    Banned aceman67 has become well known aceman67 has become well known aceman67 has become well known aceman67's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2004
    Location
    Coalhurst Alberta, Canada
    Posts
    2,900
    Thanks
    11
    Thanked 183 Times in 148 Posts

    Re: the big effect

    There's evidence in fossil record that our planet regularly goes through radical temperature changes every several hundred Millennia.

    The idea that humans, who have only graced the face of the planet for almost 7000 years (recorded history), are the direct cause of "global warming" is, quite frankly, utter poppycock.

    We are too small and insignificant on the global scale to have that kind of effect on the planet as a whole, small portions like a city area, yes, and even then the planet can repair itself, but not the whole bloody planet.

    Al Gore's an idiot, you should stop listening to him.

  4. #12
    anti-semantics Pub Quiz Champion tsurara may be famous one day tsurara may be famous one day tsurara's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Location
    Shikoku
    Posts
    1,308
    Thanks
    5
    Thanked 84 Times in 55 Posts

    Re: the big effect

    Quote Originally Posted by aceman67 View Post
    Al Gore's an idiot, you should stop listening to him.
    Unfortunately, Al Gore isn't the only person on the planet who recognizes the catastrophic affect of our unsustainable consumption.

    Reguardless of your belief in the cause of global warming: it is happening and there's nothing wrong with trying to prevent or slow it when there is any significant chance at all that it will have a devistating affect on our daily life, ecosystem and living spaces. Moreover desertification, deforestation, extinctions that can be directly traced to human development or overhunting/fishing, huge dead zones in our oceans, chemical poisoning in our food and water supplies and gigantic holes in the ozone layer are pretty much undeniable evidence that we ARE having an affect on the earth we live in.

    I think anyone who truly believes that we're doing a great job at being "stewards of the earth" and that we should do absolutely nothing to change the way we live in order to avert further damage to the planet is a way bigger idiot than Al Gore could ever possible even imagine being.

    Surely you don't think burning down forests to raise beef for McDonalds, every American family owning 3 or 4 vehicles, and spewing enough manufacturing chemicals into the air to make the air quality in some cities hazardous is a good thing...

  5. #13
    Banned aceman67 has become well known aceman67 has become well known aceman67 has become well known aceman67's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2004
    Location
    Coalhurst Alberta, Canada
    Posts
    2,900
    Thanks
    11
    Thanked 183 Times in 148 Posts

    Re: the big effect

    Trying to prevent the planet going through its normal phases is like shooting a water gun at a bullet train.

    I'm all for not wasting our natural resources, and I think that deliberately polluting is wrong, but I'm not going to change my lifestyle and waste my money when I know for a fact that in the end its not going to change a damn thing.

  6. #14
    Community Dude Asteroids Champion dude101 may be famous one day dude101 may be famous one day dude101's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Location
    Australia, Newy
    Posts
    725
    Thanks
    1
    Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts

    Re: the big effect

    yes there is evidence in fossil record that there have radical temperature changes, but again, there was never this concentration of CO2 and halogens that have been released into the atmosphere. but i'll agree with you about us not being THE cause of global warming, but we are at the moment one of the major contributors to it, but this is including agriculture activities, etc.

    also the planet i believe on record hasn't reach this type of temperature before. and us being small and insignificant can't really be said. i can't honestly remember in earth history were a species has the power to wipe itself and possible the planet out (talking about nuclear technology).

    oh and don't forget where all these big cities get there resources from. most things are imported and the ecological foot print of a major city can be huge. one large city can take up resource in a 30km+ radius and thats only on the local scale.

    but yes earth will still go on even with "global warming" and what ever else unless a super size asteroid crashes into us or the sun burns out but.... the question will life on earth still go on as we know it? or will the age of man die and a new dominant species rise? or will life be reduce down to simple cell organism or ground dwelling creatures?

    cause to be honest, the human species are quite sensitive to extreme temperatures and technology can only takes us so far.

  7. #15
    anti-semantics Pub Quiz Champion tsurara may be famous one day tsurara may be famous one day tsurara's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Location
    Shikoku
    Posts
    1,308
    Thanks
    5
    Thanked 84 Times in 55 Posts

    Re: the big effect

    Quote Originally Posted by aceman67 View Post
    I'm all for not wasting our natural resources, and I think that deliberately polluting is wrong, but I'm not going to change my lifestyle and waste my money when I know for a fact that in the end its not going to change a damn thing.
    Because you have clearly studied environmental science in-depth

    undesputed and preventable environmental issues caused or escalated directly by our living habits:
    Deforestation - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
    Desertification - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
    Overdrafting - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
    Overfishing - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
    Air pollution - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
    Acid rain - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
    Marine pollution - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
    Thermal pollution - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

    I'm sorry, but it is ridiculous to say that humans have no ability to change the degradation of our environment when it is 100% possible to trace a majority of immediate enviornmental damage to a direct and ongoing human causes.

    I'm not interested in arguing Global Warming... But I think it's pathologically selfish to choose to believe that something is unchangeable simply because you don't want to be bothered putting forth any effort to change it.

    A lot of the damage we've done would be reversable, if not for the constant demands of competative global industry, nations in perpetual poverty, luxury living and the international war machine.

    It's sort of like Japan saying they need to "Study" endangered whales by harpooning them and selling their meat for consumption. They don't study **** -- they're unwilling to change their eating habits.

    If you can't ride your bike to places in walking distance, carpool, suffer without the air-conditioning, recycle your trash and cut back on your burgers: then fine. But don't pretend there isn't a problem when you're really just being a lazy-***.

  8. The Following User Says Thank You to tsurara For This Useful Post:

    Scourge (Feb 25, 2008)

  9. #16
    Poultry Projectile Cannon Scourge is making a name for themselves Scourge is making a name for themselves Scourge's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Location
    Oceanside CA
    Posts
    1,297
    Thanks
    476
    Thanked 171 Times in 152 Posts

    Re: the big effect

    Quote Originally Posted by tsurara View Post
    Because you have clearly studied environmental science in-depth

    undesputed and preventable environmental issues caused or escalated directly by our living habits:
    Deforestation - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
    Desertification - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
    Overdrafting - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
    Overfishing - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
    Air pollution - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
    Acid rain - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
    Marine pollution - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
    Thermal pollution - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

    I'm sorry, but it is ridiculous to say that humans have no ability to change the degradation of our environment when it is 100% possible to trace a majority of immediate enviornmental damage to a direct and ongoing human causes.

    I'm not interested in arguing Global Warming... But I think it's pathologically selfish to choose to believe that something is unchangeable simply because you don't want to be bothered putting forth any effort to change it.

    A lot of the damage we've done would be reversable, if not for the constant demands of competative global industry, nations in perpetual poverty, luxury living and the international war machine.

    It's sort of like Japan saying they need to "Study" endangered whales by harpooning them and selling their meat for consumption. They don't study **** -- they're unwilling to change their eating habits.

    If you can't ride your bike to places in walking distance, carpool, suffer without the air-conditioning, recycle your trash and cut back on your burgers: then fine. But don't pretend there isn't a problem when you're really just being a lazy-***.
    Well said. In fact that is exactly what I was going to say. So let me just add on this. Yes the Earth can repair its self but here is the big kicker in the balls. It cant do that untill we stop stripping and poluting our planet. With out Humans the world would be able to revert back to its old self in about 25 to 50 years or so (Just a guess) But those are 25 to 50 years of repair the Human race will not give it because we Humans are to lazy to change our habits because it was an inconvenience for us. That is such a selfish pig headed attitude. And any one who believes that the billians of people on this Earth does not have an impact in our enviroment is %^*$ crazy!!

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Similar Threads

  1. Replies: 9
    Last Post: May 10, 2014, 09:39 PM
  2. *a cause and an effect*
    By flaminghate in forum Poems
    Replies: 5
    Last Post: Nov 05, 2007, 08:09 AM
  3. Does Anime effect someones personality
    By The Truth in forum The Thread Vault
    Replies: 13
    Last Post: Mar 02, 2006, 12:29 AM
  4. TV effect tutorial
    By BFmastermind in forum The Thread Vault
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: Jul 08, 2005, 10:53 PM
  5. does sexuality in games effect children?
    By geishagallows in forum The Thread Vault
    Replies: 39
    Last Post: Jan 21, 2005, 04:36 PM

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts