+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Billy Mays found Dead at his home

As Seen on Internet KenX may be famous one day KenX may be famous one day
    Thanks

Billy Mays found Dead at his home

Mays, 50, was found unresponsive by his wife inside his Tampa, Fla., home at 7:45 a.m. on Sunday, according to the Tampa Police Department.

Police said there were no signs of forced entry to Mays' residence and foul play is not suspected. Authorities said an autopsy should be complete by Monday afternoon.

"Although Billy lived a public life, we don't anticipate making any public statements over the next couple of days. Our family asks that you respect our privacy during these difficult times," Mays wife, Deborah, said in a statement on Sunday.

Mays was well known for his numerous television promotions of such products as Orange Glo and OxiClean. He was also featured on the reality TV show "Pitchmen" on the Discovery Channel, which followed Mays and Anthony Sullivan in their marketing jobs.

Born William Mays in McKees Rocks, Pa., on July 20, 1958, Mays developed his style demonstrating knives, mops and other "as seen on TV" gadgets on Atlantic City's boardwalk. For years he worked as a hired gun on the state fair and home show circuits, attracting crowds with his booming voice and genial manner.

After meeting Orange Glo International founder Max Appel at a home show in Pittsburgh in the mid-1990s, Mays was recruited to demonstrate the environmentally friendly line of cleaning products on the St. Petersburg-based Home Shopping Network.

Commercials and informercials followed, anchored by the high-energy Mays showing how it's done while tossing out kitschy phrases like, "Long live your laundry!"

Recently he's been seen on commercials for a wide variety of products and is featured on the reality TV show "Pitchmen" on the Discovery Channel, which follows Mays and Anthony Sullivan in their marketing jobs. He's also been seen in ESPN ads.

His ubiquitousness and thumbs-up, in-your-face pitches won Mays plenty of fans. People line up at his personal appearances for autographed color glossies, and strangers stop him in airports to chat about the products.

"I enjoy what I do," Mays told The Associated Press in a 2002 interview. "I think it shows."

Mays was on board a US Airways flight that blew out its front tires as it landed at a Tampa airport on Saturday, MyFOXTampa.com reported.

US Airways spokesman Jim Olson said that none of the 138 passengers and five crew members were injured in the incident, but several passengers reported having bumps and bruises, according to the station.

Authorities have not said whether Mays' death was related to the incident.

Discovery Channel spokeswoman Elizabeth Hillman released a statement Sunday extending sympathy to the Mays family.

"Everyone that knows him was aware of his larger-than-life personality, generosity and warmth," Hillman's statement said. "Billy was a pioneer in his field and helped many people fulfill their dreams. He will be greatly missed as a loyal and compassionate friend."
    'Infomercial King' Billy Mays Found Dead in Home - Celebrity Gossip | Entertainment News | Arts And Entertainment - FOXNews.com

Zev
    SuperModZilla Zev is making a name for themselves Zev is making a name for themselves Zev's Avatar
    Thanks

Re: Billy Mays found Dead at his home

Wow famous people are dropping like flys lately. Billy was my second favorite info commercial guy, behind the ShamWow guy. The ShamWow guy could sell anything!

Signature is a Gwenibe original.

Banned beast may be famous one day beast may be famous one day beast's Avatar
    Thanks

It is sad Billy Mays is gone but he went out at the top of his game. What better way to go.

Otaku Vincent has disabled reputation Vincent's Avatar
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by beast View Post
    It is sad Billy Mays is gone but he went out at the top of his game. What better way to go.
    First off, I hate the Shamwow guy. I just really want to punch him in the face to shut him up. He is so annoying. And second off, I am really gonna miss the loudmouthed salesman. His family and friends are in my prayers. My heart really goes out to them. But I wonder what they are gonna do in the show "Pitchmen." Will they have to take it off the air? And thirdly, the only reason a lot of celebs are dying is because they are baby boomers. A lot of people were born fifty years ago. It is only reasonable that they are nearing the end of their lifes right now, 50 years later. Though I'm not sure what age Billy was. I do know that Jackson was 50.

Angsty Goth Teenager SamuraiDude128 may be famous one day SamuraiDude128 may be famous one day SamuraiDude128's Avatar
    Thanks

This is the one death that has really upset me, we'll never have good commercials ever again.

Poultry Projectile Cannon Scourge is making a name for themselves Scourge is making a name for themselves Scourge's Avatar
    Thanks

I found both the Shamwow guy and Billy Mays to be rather annoying. How ever I respect their ability to sell products and such.
    Sad to hear about his passing.
    I have a Ctrl Alt Delete cartoon on the shamwow guy thats rather funny but I think it would be rather inapropriate for the thread.
    Last edited by Scourge; Jun 29, 2009 at 08:02 AM.
    "MY DEAR... I GIVE YOU THE CAPELLAN CONFEDERATION"
    AND THUS THE WAR WAS STARTED NOT BY GUN SHOT BUT BY WEDDING BELLS

I'm all ears. Hassun has disabled reputation
    Thanks

Never heard of the guy but I find it hard to feel sympathy for TV salesmen.

Banned aceman67 has become well known aceman67 has become well known aceman67 has become well known aceman67's Avatar
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Hassun View Post
    Never heard of the guy but I find it hard to feel sympathy for TV salesmen.
    The guy is pretty much a Pop Culture Icon here in North America. He's been seen on TV since the mid 90's and his trademark "HEY, BILLY MAYS HERE WITH ANOTHER AMAZING PRODUCT..." is well known to anyone who watches tv late at night when Infomercials are in full swing (Caps used to emphasize his loud boisterous voice).

He even spawned a string of parody videos where someone would dub over his commercials with comedic results: YouTube - Billy Mays kaboom! dub (NSFW, Language)

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast