+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Black History Month

Femmebot Rehab Colt Crouse Champion, Bookworm Champion, Hangman Champion, Connect 2 Champion Peach_follows has become well known Peach_follows has become well known Peach_follows has become well known Peach_follows's Avatar
    Thanks

Black History Month

Theres always alot of emphasis on Valentines Day this time of year. With all the festivities I think its easy to drown out the fact that this is also the month to honor African Americans role in the history of the United States.

So Id like to know...

Who is your favorite person in African American history?

If you dont have one, or dont know. Don't be affraid to some homework on the net.
    My Favorite is Kanye West (lol). Mad props to Kanye for calling out the fact that he didnt think Pres. Bush gave a damn about black people during the aftermath of hurricane Katrina.
    Last edited by Peach_follows; Feb 13, 2007 at 08:56 PM.
    ... Not Ever Again...

Otaku Hoods may be famous one day Hoods may be famous one day Hoods's Avatar
    Thanks

Re: Black History Month

I like Kanye too. Maybe Benjamin Banneker also. I'm my own favorite though.
    I make black history everyday. I don't need a month

Ecchi Enthusiast Classic Donkey Kong Champion, Balloon Bomber Champion, Fishing Impossible Champion, Festival Of History : Archery Champion, Dare Devil Champion, Little Monkey Does Champion, Dragon Champion, Barty Champion, Cheesy Champion, Chicken Attack Champion, Moo Lander Champion, Hang Stan Champion, Hangaroo Champion, Sentenced Champion, Canadair Champion Miroku4444 may be famous one day Miroku4444 may be famous one day Miroku4444's Avatar
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Peach_follows View Post
    Theres always alot of emphasis on Valentines Day this time of year. With all the festivities I think its easy to drown out the fact that this is also the month to honor African Americans role in the history of the United States.

So Id like to know...

Who is your favorite person in African American history?

If you don't have one, or don't know. Don't be afraid to some homework on the net.
    My Favorite is Kanye West (lol). Mad props to Kanye for calling out the fact that he didn't think Pres. Bush gave a damn about black people during the aftermath of hurricane Katrina.
    See this i don't get. I find Black history month kinda racist. Why should one single race have a month for themselves. If whites did this it be chaos. Why not a more appropriate minority history month instead? I mean if i was Hispanic, Chinese, Japanese, id be really pissed.

Femmebot Rehab Colt Crouse Champion, Bookworm Champion, Hangman Champion, Connect 2 Champion Peach_follows has become well known Peach_follows has become well known Peach_follows has become well known Peach_follows's Avatar
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Miroku4444 View Post
    See this i don't get. I find Black history month kinda racist. Why should one single race have a month for themselves. If whites did this it be chaos. Why not a more appropriate minority history month instead? I mean if i was Hispanic, Chinese, Japanese, id be really pissed.
    Well I think its important to note that A: The United States the is run by white males... so basically white men get to claim this country the rest of the 11 months.

B: I personally wouldnt mind if we celebrated all minorities all year long, but as for which is more appropriate... Im not sure what you mean. Many minorities come here by choice. Whereas Black History Month is to celebrate the rising of a culture of people who were FORCED here... which is quite different. Unlike Hispanic, Chinese, Japanese, ect... who come to the United States to seek refuge or better economic status. African Americans have no proir knowledge of thier lineage. Treated as subhuman and made to fight for their freedom, many years even after slavery.

The same can not be said for other minorities.

Black History Month is to celebrate the many contributions African Americans have made for this contry, and hurdles they have jumped despite odds stacked against them.
    To me that is far from racist!
    ... Not Ever Again...

Ecchi Enthusiast Classic Donkey Kong Champion, Balloon Bomber Champion, Fishing Impossible Champion, Festival Of History : Archery Champion, Dare Devil Champion, Little Monkey Does Champion, Dragon Champion, Barty Champion, Cheesy Champion, Chicken Attack Champion, Moo Lander Champion, Hang Stan Champion, Hangaroo Champion, Sentenced Champion, Canadair Champion Miroku4444 may be famous one day Miroku4444 may be famous one day Miroku4444's Avatar
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Peach_follows View Post
    Well I think its important to note that A: The United States the is run by white males... so basically white men get to claim this country the rest of the 11 months.

B: I personally wouldnt mind if we celebrated all minorities all year long, but as for which is more appropriate... Im not sure what you mean. Many minorities come here by choice. Whereas Black History Month is to celebrate the rising of a culture of people who were FORCED here... which is quite different. Unlike Hispanic, Chinese, Japanese, ect... who come to the United States to seek refuge or better economic status. African Americans have no proir knowledge of thier lineage. Treated as subhuman and made to fight for their freedom, many years even after slavery.

The same can not be said for other minorities.

Black History Month is to celebrate the many contributions African Americans have made for this country, and hurdles they have jumped despite odds stacked against them.
    To me that is far from racist!
    Its just when you single one race out, urks me. I don't think they will ever celebrate all minorities all year long unfortunately. That would be so cool. Slavery is the past, a Black History Month wont erase that. As for being forced to come here, i think lots of Chinese were forced here too. Where is there history month?

I would like to see a minority history month instead, and learn about other minority's struggles. This country is so multi-cultural now. Its only fair to celebrate all of them.

??* Judge and Executioner ??* White Van Man Champion, Home Run Derby Champion, Mahjongg sport Champion, Jewel Champion, The Asteroids Champion koga23 may be famous one day koga23 may be famous one day koga23's Avatar
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Miroku4444 View Post
    Its just when you single one race out, urks me. I don't think they will ever celebrate all minorities all year long unfortunately. That would be so cool. Slavery is the past, a Black History Month wont erase that. As for being forced to come here, i think lots of Chinese were forced here too. Where is there history month?

I would like to see a minority history month instead, and learn about other minority's struggles. This country is so multi-cultural now. Its only fair to celebrate all of them.
    wow i couldent have said it better Miroku,why is that we single one race out?there are others in this country that should have there own month to or even better like Miroku said why not have a minority history month instead,that way every one gets to learn about other cultures and there struggles.
    ....Player Killer....
    ??* "There is nothing to fear but F.E.A.R. it self -(F.E.A.R) " ??*

Otaku Mitsu-O! is off to a good start Mitsu-O!'s Avatar
    Thanks

Ever consider looking at it at an African Americans perspective? I think Black History Month is a great way of celebreting one's heratage. Sure I can understand whay it urks people but you gotta understand the struggles African American when through. Almost 500 years of slavery and oppression and they just get one month, and on top of that it's the shortest one! Why complain?

??* Judge and Executioner ??* White Van Man Champion, Home Run Derby Champion, Mahjongg sport Champion, Jewel Champion, The Asteroids Champion koga23 may be famous one day koga23 may be famous one day koga23's Avatar
    Thanks

I have,do agree there should be some kinda celebration but there are other cultures that disurve the same respect as the African Americans?? for instance the native American there history is allot longer then eny other and they have suffered just the same over even more than African Americans,the only thing im saying its kinda unfair that there is only one month in a yr that celebrates one minority.
    ....Player Killer....
    ??* "There is nothing to fear but F.E.A.R. it self -(F.E.A.R) " ??*

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast