+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Bratz Dolls going the way of the Dodo - Mattel wins Lawsuit over MGA Ent.

Banned aceman67 has become well known aceman67 has become well known aceman67 has become well known aceman67's Avatar
    Thanks

Bratz Dolls going the way of the Dodo - Mattel wins Lawsuit over MGA Ent.

Its about bloody time. This story first peaked my interest while reading one of the webcomics I follow (Punch an' Pie: try a slice of life... then swallow.), quick google news search later and I turned up this article.

Risque Bratz dolls lose Barbie battle
    by Kara G. Morrison - Dec. 9, 2008 12:00 AM
    The Arizona Republic

In the Barbie vs. Bratz war, Barbie has won - at least for now.

A federal judge ruled last week that Barbie parent Mattel, and not MGA Entertainment Inc., owns the legal rights to the popular Bratz doll.

The big-eyed, pouty-lipped dolls' future is now in flux, as Bratz could be yanked from store shelves by early next year. MGA has been ordered to stop manufacturing them.

Mattel has not said whether it intends to sell the dolls itself or let Barbie's younger, saucier, limelight-stealing cousin disappear altogether.

Chances of the latter have some local parents rejoicing.

"I do hope they kind of disappear," said Scottsdale mom Dawn Potosky, who already has a Bratz ban in place at her house. "My daughter is 7, and for the last three years, she has been asking for them."

Bratz proved controversial well before Mattel's four-year legal battle. While some kids gravitated to them as an edgier, more current version of Barbie, many moms dismissed Bratz as too provocative in appearance.

"They just seem like they're too mature for the age group that they're focused on," Potosky, 37, said. "I've had funny conversations with other moms, and they agree with me, so I don't know who's buying them."

Kate Tanner, owner of Kidstop, won't shed a tear if Bratz dolls faded away.

Tanner won't sell them at her Scottsdale toy store, saying the scantily clad dolls with excessive makeup aren't good role models. She's thrilled if the corporate fight means more wholesome dolls end up in little girls' hands, such as those from Les Cherie, Only Hearts Club and Groovy Girls, which she sells.

"Some of us find them (Bratz) absolutely horrible," Tanner said, pointing out a Bratz "mansion" that features a bar and a lighted dance floor.

The lawsuit stemmed not over dolls' taste level, but dollar signs. Mattel says its competitor was not entitled to the hundreds of millions of dollars the Bratz line earned.

The latest ruling stemmed from a July jury decision that Bratz creator Carter Bryant came up with the design and name while working for Mattel under an exclusivity contract. A second jury awarded Mattel $10 million for copyright infringement and $90 million for breach of contract.

"To be quite honest, I feel Mattel won a valid lawsuit," said Sam Powazek, owner of the Doll House and Toy Store in Scottsdale, who followed the case and thought it clear Mattel had paid for Bryant's work on the doll.

Still, Powazek and his wife, Sari, don't carry Barbie or Bratz at their specialty toy store. Both said they think Bratz inappropriate for young children, right down to their midriff-baring clothing, bold makeup and irreverent names.

"Parents want their children to be children," Sari Powazek said. "They don't want them to be grown up at 6 years old."

U.S. District Court Judge Stephen Larson will consider post-trial motions in February.

It could be a huge Christmas season for Bratz if fans' fear of their extinction results in a boost in sales, though it's difficult to believe such a successful doll could disappear.

Diana Epperson, a Mesa toy collector who works at KB Toys, said Bratz dolls have waned in popularity because they're for older girls. But she thinks the court ruling will make them more popular for fans and collectors.

"I haven't seen a huge run on the Bratz yet," she said, though she planned to buy a few for herself soon. "They'll probably be really collectible."

Tanner hopes kids aren't the last to be considered in this toy war.

"I think that's a shame that (money) is what this is all about, other than just making great toys for kids," Tanner said.
    I pitty the people who work at toystores right now, since collectors are going to be going nuts over the doll in a wild frenzy to finish their collection if the dolls do get taken off the shelves.

Legendary Otaku Happy Pill Champion, Monkey Mayhem Champion NeoDeath90 may be famous one day NeoDeath90 may be famous one day NeoDeath90's Avatar
    Thanks

Re: Bratz Dolls going the way of the Dodo - Mattel wins Lawsuit over MGA Ent.

I'm incredibly happy this is happening, mainly because i'm sick of their insufferably annoying, yet equally catchy, songs on their commercials.

Let Barbie reign supreme.
    Why hello there!

Otaku Click The Colour Champion darkangel1240 is off to a good start darkangel1240's Avatar
    Thanks

oh finally! it's about time they got rid of the fake Barbie dolls... They weren't that popular anyway.

Vampire Freaks☠I am not going 2 be on for awhile... ☠

Thanks for the memories princesslady may be famous one day princesslady may be famous one day princesslady's Avatar
    Thanks

I actually liked the Bratz Dolls. I won't go into much detail about it but I actually saw a version of myself with the Bratz. It wasn't just the perfect "image" of a woman on the shelf. I saw me. The Bratz came in a varity of races and for once the Black girl wasn't bogus looking. When Barbie, she has a variety of friends too but who is mainly idolized? Who is mainly on the commercial? The pretty white girl witht eh long hair who has the perfect life. With Bratz, it was four friends, all different races, eqwuallty sharing the spotlight. That was the main reason I loved them so much. There was a group of girls that tested that prefect image idea. Their look were different but the history of the Bratz design may clear up that idea that they were promoting plastic surgery. That is totallty false and if one does research they may find out the truth.

BTW-Sasha and Yasmin were my faves.

Born to rule, raised to lead, taught to establish: The African Queen

5. The Following User Says Thank You to princesslady For This Useful Post:

bratling (Dec 10, 2008)

Otaku jazzy9513 is off to a good start
    Thanks

o god finally!!!! those things creeped me out ive never heard of barbie doll whos feet come off untill bratz

Femmebot Rehab Colt Crouse Champion, Bookworm Champion, Hangman Champion, Connect 2 Champion Peach_follows has become well known Peach_follows has become well known Peach_follows has become well known Peach_follows's Avatar
    Thanks

Ok, first let me revel in the fact that seemingly hard ass Ace just posted a thread about Bratz....

Ok now that thats is over... as far as the money issue... GO mattel. It sounds like that is fair and square.

But I do hope they're not pulled off the shelf... Not that I am a fan... but as princess lady declared. The diversity of Bratz is much more comforting to those of us who can't relate to the barbie image. And black or any other race of barbie took a backseat to the white girl for sure.

But furthermore... Parents are the ones who need to grow up! I live in a nice little apple pie suburb of minnesota. Fridley... Coined "friendly fridley". Oh and I have seen some of the moms on the PTA at my boy's school... the mothers of little girls. Judging from what I've seen. They would be the types to fall right into the uproar. The "Yeah, ban that risque doll" ride. But these are the same mothers who let there first 3rd graders troter around with sweat pants, bearing the schools name across the rear. Sweats that I am sure the SCHOOL produced. So whatever.

As a parent I find it less important to censor what my kids see, hear and play with. But more importantly to guide their actions. Make sure I instill MY values and ethics upon them. And make sure I constantly drill in the knowledge of what is right and wrong.

I saw soo much crap as a kid on TV that I knew not to reinact. I listened to all sorts of music, and I knew not to repeat the profanity. Are these mothers worried that ther little girls are going to pencil in their eyebrows, throw on a mini skirt, and start pouting their little lips around? Because if thats the case... then they need to be worried more so about their impact as parents. Sex sells, and you arent going to be able shelter your kids from it. Weather its Bratz or Brittiney. I mean, look at hannah motanah! If parent cant override that influence without having to "ban" thchildren form being subjected to it. (which will be ultimately unsuccessful anyway). Then those parents have already lost control and may as well throw in the towel.
    ... Not Ever Again...

Banned aceman67 has become well known aceman67 has become well known aceman67 has become well known aceman67's Avatar
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Peach_follows View Post
    Ok, first let me revel in the fact that seemingly hard ass Ace just posted a thread about Bratz....
    I'm not a hard ass unless you give me reason to be.

Reason I posted this is because I've worked the Retail grind the majority of my working career, the other reason for this is because I have 4 neices, and I for one would never buy one of these harlot dolls for them.

Femmebot Rehab Colt Crouse Champion, Bookworm Champion, Hangman Champion, Connect 2 Champion Peach_follows has become well known Peach_follows has become well known Peach_follows has become well known Peach_follows's Avatar
    Thanks

Well Ace,
    Is it just there appearance that makes them so displeasing you think? I mean, so many mothers wouldn't think twice about getting there sons GI Joe... Especially patriotic mothers. But GI Joe is a soldier. And war is snuff, murder, and all types of other kinds of deplorable behavior one shouldn't want there child impacted by. Not that this applies to all soldiers of course. But, not all scantily clad women are promiscuous.

I have two boys. And I know how many little action figures come with little guns so they can play shoot out. Abruptly intended to push the idea of violence. But I never see any big deals made about that.
    I have also been a little girl and can tell you some things... They just want to brush their hair. And put together little outfits (which aren’t all inappropriate form the bratz line). From having been a little girl, I can tell you, my Barbie often ended up naked anyway. MY Babies were little hoes. And just as every human being, little girls are gonna have there wonders and feelings about sexual things. And uh, they're gonna act it out, behind their parents back, with whatever. Bratz or no bratz. Its natural.
    ... Not Ever Again...

10. The Following User Says Thank You to Peach_follows For This Useful Post:

bratling (Dec 10, 2008)

+ Reply to Thread