+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: Ceramics/Pottery

Legendary Otaku Snake Champion, Zelda Champion, Crazy Koala Champion, Minigolf Champion, Concentrate Champion, Guess 5 Champion, Batting Champ Champion, Beach Ball Control Champion, Bookworm Champion, Wacky Word Wiz Champion, Fight Fight 3 Champion, Spinner's Luck Champion, Traffic Jam Champion, Yeti Pengu Throw Champion Legend is making a name for themselves Legend is making a name for themselves Legend is making a name for themselves Legend's Avatar
    Thanks

Re: Ceramics/Pottery

Quote Originally Posted by Linren Seishi View Post
    The sculpture looks good although I do admit that if I saw it in the middle of the night I'd probably scream ^^;

I've done pottery on the turning wheel before once. ^_^ It was cool though I didn't manage to seperate the piece I was molding from the rest of the clay XD
    Have to agree with linren on this one. I mean, if it won the nationals then it must have a high artistic value to it. However as i have said before, I am no good with art so I'll just go with the common man's feel on this. It is scary... very "the ring"-ish.

'Cause you give me something / That makes me scared, alright / This could be nothing / But I'm willing to give it a try / Please give me something
    'Cause someday I might call you from my heart

PiNk HaIr FaNaTiC Boo45 may be famous one day Boo45 may be famous one day Boo45's Avatar
    Thanks

LoL...It looks like that thing is gonna rip someones head off or something...it's darn scary thats for sure. We dont have sculturing at our school, just wheel throwing and hands-on art making, i think that if i tried sculpting i'd slap my hand a couple with the hammer. Hahahaha, i'd rather stick to the wheel though, it feels so nice when it slips through your hand and you get that gooey ooze feeling too =D. Though i have a major tendency to squeeze too hard when pulling the clay, thus the reason why my pots usually flop over or turn into bowls. Thats another thing, whenever im pulling, for some reason the vase that i try to make gets pulled into the shape of a bowl more than anything else which annoys me =/

Banned The White Wolf is off to a good start
    Thanks

Awwe.. Abu.. I don't care what these evil people say. I think it's adorable ^.^ Such an attempt to make something so "masculine". It's very medieval-ish. Nice work!

Hmm.. my own attempts? I once made a cup when I went off to camp one summer. I was only in grade school, but I must say it came out pretty hot, if I do say so myself.

I loved working with the round thingy. You know, where you place your hands around the wet clay and shape it as it turns. I loved doing that. It was loads of fun for me. And once my cup.. wait.. it was actually a bowl. Anyway, I remember the anticipation I felt when I heard they were going to glaze it over with.. I dunno.. that shiny stuff. Lol, I'm not very good with these terms, and must sound like an idiot to someone who's really into this stuff.. but I just remember that it was a fun experience, and should be something that all parents and kids should look forward to doing together.

is On Point Abu Dhabi is making a name for themselves Abu Dhabi is making a name for themselves Abu Dhabi's Avatar
    Thanks

O.o it's really that scary... i guess i don't really see it since i made him...

he's supposed to be Sitting Bull a.k.a the guy who killed Custard in Custard's Last Stand...

i will admitt he looks masculine, that's cuz i sculpted his face from photos and my teacher was a man, so i guessed that influenced it! it's not all sculpted though, only his face and the "bear claws" around his neck... the body is made from plaster strips and chicken wire painted brown; the hair is unravled twine dipped in a glue/paint/warm water mixture; the body is covered with dead leaves, twigs and string; his head was a bitch to attach to the body, but it was done with yet more chicken wire and bondo...

Bondo = stuff they fix dents in cars with, if you're sculpture cracks in the kiln and you don't plan on firing it again, use this stuff to fill in the cracks, but use gloves and do it outside! noxious stuff that is...

but yeah... he's defintitly a work... but i don't take a lot of credit for him, i had A LOT of help from my teacher, classmates and Soshi Kitai himself! yes, the sculpture is heavy, does smell, and took a REALLY long time to make... but it was definitly worth it!

Legendary Otaku Snake Champion, Zelda Champion, Crazy Koala Champion, Minigolf Champion, Concentrate Champion, Guess 5 Champion, Batting Champ Champion, Beach Ball Control Champion, Bookworm Champion, Wacky Word Wiz Champion, Fight Fight 3 Champion, Spinner's Luck Champion, Traffic Jam Champion, Yeti Pengu Throw Champion Legend is making a name for themselves Legend is making a name for themselves Legend is making a name for themselves Legend's Avatar
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Abu Dhabi View Post
    O.o it's really that scary... i guess i don't really see it since i made him...

he's supposed to be Sitting Bull a.k.a the guy who killed Custard in Custard's Last Stand...

i will admitt he looks masculine, that's cuz i sculpted his face from photos and my teacher was a man, so i guessed that influenced it! it's not all sculpted though, only his face and the "bear claws" around his neck... the body is made from plaster strips and chicken wire painted brown; the hair is unravled twine dipped in a glue/paint/warm water mixture; the body is covered with dead leaves, twigs and string; his head was a bitch to attach to the body, but it was done with yet more chicken wire and bondo...

Bondo = stuff they fix dents in cars with, if you're sculpture cracks in the kiln and you don't plan on firing it again, use this stuff to fill in the cracks, but use gloves and do it outside! noxious stuff that is...

but yeah... he's defintitly a work... but i don't take a lot of credit for him, i had A LOT of help from my teacher, classmates and Soshi Kitai himself! yes, the sculpture is heavy, does smell, and took a REALLY long time to make... but it was definitly worth it!
    Hmmm well in that case it makes a LOT more sense and I guess it's not as creepy. But did SItting Bull have facepaint on or something??

'Cause you give me something / That makes me scared, alright / This could be nothing / But I'm willing to give it a try / Please give me something
    'Cause someday I might call you from my heart

is On Point Abu Dhabi is making a name for themselves Abu Dhabi is making a name for themselves Abu Dhabi's Avatar
    Thanks

i did almost no historical checking except for the pictures of his face...

^_^ i don't know if there are bears in the plain states, or even what kind of paint they wore on their faces, if any at all...

unless you're naming it as an actual historically centered art piece, you can have a little bit of freedom with how to do things, at the cost of people thinking you're an idiot becuz you over looked somethings...

the reason why he was made that way was becuz everyone (including myself) thought he looked best that way... and that if it had been "accurate", i think it would have the feeling i wanted... which was something very earthy and dark and strong... ^_^ that's why i also like to sculpt trees too...

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2