+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Constructive Criticism...

Newbie Xxajanae97xX is off to a good start Xxajanae97xX's Avatar
    Thanks

Constructive Criticism...

I tried giving this girl constructive criticism once, and she completely flipped out on me calling me "insensitive". So i ask you, what is your version of constructive criticism? do you put things too lightly? too harsh? what's the best way to give it to a person? have you ever been in a situation where someone thought of you as insensitive?
    akame4eva!

Otaku lapislazuli is off to a good start lapislazuli's Avatar
    48° 07' – 48° 19' N 16° 11' – 16° 34' E or short: behind you.
    Thanks

Re: Constructive Criticism...

Actually not. But I can relate to that. People might just not respond to it too well. They feel offended easily because they take it that they've done something wrong.
    Personally, it's a very important quality I search in my friends. In the end, constructive criticism is important to develop yourself. That's why it's good to receive it from time to time.
    Though I tend to put things a bit too lightly sometimes, I have no problem if someone gives me a little harsher critisicm. As long as it is constructive or at least I see it as constructive. :P
    But I don't think constructive criticism can be too harsh or too light. It's just that: constructive criticism. If it's to light, it's not the real thing anymore - same for the opposite.
    You are now breathing manually. :P

E&OE;

Otaku nightboyz may be famous one day nightboyz may be famous one day nightboyz's Avatar
    Thanks

Sence I got in high school I was allways trying to help people with any proplems they were having and in my expirence its best to set them up.

What I mean is to start agreeing with them on little things, try to get them to think you side with them. Once thats fullfiled slowly bring in the constructive criticism and be some what blunt.

If you do this right because its different with every person they will see everything you said as a caring person not a(n) insensitive jerk.

Kamen Rider....DECADE!!!

Devoted Otaku Tbaism may be famous one day Tbaism may be famous one day
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by nightboyz View Post
    Sence I got in high school I was allways trying to help people with any proplems they were having and in my expirence its best to set them up.

What I mean is to start agreeing with them on little things, try to get them to think you side with them. Once thats fullfiled slowly bring in the constructive criticism and be some what blunt.

If you do this right because its different with every person they will see everything you said as a caring person not a(n) insensitive jerk.

That is called manipulation, not constructive critism. At the very least, if you are in this particular situation, reverse psychology is the best solution. Other than that, you are placing emphasis on selfishness, not selflessness.

Constructive critism is typically blunt and straightforward. Criticism is critism in the end and the weak of heart won't ever take it well. You should know who, when, and why to do this, or else it will simply appear as nothing more than malice.

Constructive or not, this isn't about how you percieve the critism, but how the person recieving it does; with this in mind, make sure they can handle it.

Otaku nightboyz may be famous one day nightboyz may be famous one day nightboyz's Avatar
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Tbaism View Post
    That is called manipulation, not constructive critism. At the very least, if you are in this particular situation, reverse psychology is the best solution. Other than that, you are placing emphasis on selfishness, not selflessness.

Constructive critism is typically blunt and straightforward. Criticism is critism in the end and the weak of heart won't ever take it well. You should know who, when, and why to do this, or else it will simply appear as nothing more than malice.

Constructive or not, this isn't about how you percieve the critism, but how the person recieving it does; with this in mind, make sure they can handle it.
    Your getting on my nurves mister.
    Its not manipulation its not getting yelled at for trying to help!

Get a clue before jumping on people.

You want manipulation go talk to politcs they'll mess with you head.

I listen to there problems and then try to help them without making them fell like the whole world just landed on them.

What are you triger happy.
    Kamen Rider....DECADE!!!

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by nightboyz View Post
    Your getting on my nurves mister.
    Its not manipulation its not getting yelled at for trying to help!

Get a clue before jumping on people.

You want manipulation go talk to politcs they'll mess with you head.

I listen to there problems and then try to help them without making them fell like the whole world just landed on them.

What are you triger happy.
    Simply because you happen to be the one I disagree with is nothing more than coincidence. I am not the one taking notes as to who I have different opinions with.

It is manipulation.

You set people up in order to make it so that they will not dislike you in the end. These are your words, not mine. If that is not manipulation and you aren't in fact entering the situation with the main focus of personal gain, than getting hurt should be your very last worries. As I recall, the concept of helping others isn't about oneself, but, others.

Constructive critism is possitive. There shouldn't be a reason to get yelled at and even if there was, it was misguided and premature, and thus far, void. Why exactly are you afraid of this again and why do you even bother to let it effect you?

Banned aceman67 has become well known aceman67 has become well known aceman67 has become well known aceman67's Avatar
    Thanks

The way I look at it, if you can't take peoples opinions, don't put your self in a place where people are going to give you theirs... Like on the internet, especially forums and art communities.

Me, I'm brutally honest and frank with my critiques, but for every bad thing I point out (unless the piece is utterly horrible), I give a suggestion on how to make it better.

8. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to aceman67 For This Useful Post:

nightboyz (Apr 20, 2009), Xxajanae97xX (Apr 20, 2009)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by aceman67 View Post
    The way I look at it, if you can't take peoples opinions, don't put your self in a place where people are going to give you theirs... Like on the internet, especially forums and art communities.

Me, I'm brutally honest and frank with my critiques, but for every bad thing I point out (unless the piece is utterly horrible), I give a suggestion on how to make it better.
    During one of my art classes in the 6th grade, we were given an assignment, and after completing it my instructor thought to mix things up a bit by having the students grade their own work. I gave myself a low grade. It wasn't long before the instructor approached me and questioned why I thought I deserved that particular grade. The class loved it, it was a highlight on the board, and there weren't many who pretended or were actually that modest.

I told her I thought I could do better and I genuinly believed it. If only I had more time, if I used different materials, if I chose a different theme, it may have met my standards.

Her only response to all of this was, "We are, our own worst critics".

I believe that if a person can survive their own critism than they can survive anything, let alone another's. It is a learning experience that shouldn't be taken lightly nor too personally as a vicious attack. If done correctly, a person can see that critisism is not necesarrily a reflection of another's emotions or character, but that of one's self. Whoever said knowing yourself better was a bad thing?

With that in mind, I say be blunt, be honest, be straightforward. Call me insensitive, but don't forget how much I will care

10. The Following User Says Thank You to Tbaism For This Useful Post:

Xxajanae97xX (Apr 20, 2009)

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast