+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: dealing with dyslexia...

★~Ao's Irish Fariy ~★ equinn may be famous one day equinn may be famous one day equinn's Avatar
    Thanks

dealing with dyslexia...

well i have known for quite a while now that i may of had this disablity but never imagined it would actually been true...

i guess alot of AO more the older AO members who would have minded me when i was new...
    my spelling and understanding of alot of things here were very hard

mostly when the site all changed i wasnt sure on how the new rules went and what not so i had gotten ALOT of infections ( i donno if i spelt that right!!)

i really want to get though school and hopefuly uni someday but being with the fact of a lerning disablity it kinda makes you feel bad and not able.

since a young age i have been strokin by teachers not wanting to help since all the ones i have had all only care truthfuly for the smarter children and dont give children witch do need the extra help ANY!

i had it pretty bad crying and thinking i wasnt pretty or smart or anything just wishing to die and all that from a very young age due from bullying etc...

it has lasted a long time from a young age till now but knowing this makes me abit happyer to know im not dumb i am really smart when i have help

but i really wanna know if anyone on AO has Dyslexia and how they live with it and if its helped any

Otaku Caixa 2006 Champion Corvus may be famous one day Corvus may be famous one day Corvus's Avatar
    Thanks

Re: dealing with dyslexia...

Hrm. Honestly my teachers told my parents that I probably wouldn't make it out of grade school let alone ever graduate. Sadly, the doctors agreed rattling off a long list of complications and problems one of which was dyslexia.

Now, my teachers are mad at me for not being the valedictorian and call me an underachieving genius. To my face and even worse behind my back. Nothing is impossible. I'm not sure how I over came or learned to cope with that long list but basically I just have themind of a kid all the time taking in each new piece of info in a way that isn't "normal" and holding on to it. English was my biggest problem and I dreaded the ESSAY it was like some sort of monster that got harder as I got smarter. I'm not amazing with writing or the correct gramatical form. But I can do what I need to function.

The best part is, I'm not a miracle. I can read and write and I got bullied a lot (which stopped after I grew up and people became more acceptable individuals) but even now, I mix words up constantly and numbers are bad news but a learning disability is just that. It makes it harder for you to learn something but it doesn't stop you from doing what you love. I see it more as a bonus then an inhibitor. The harder I have to work to learn something, the longer it stays with me.

I read probably 100x as many childrens picture books then any other kid in grade three but eventually I read enough of them that I could make sense of things and read (slowly) and with a lot of effort then even that bacame easy (er) Now, I'm graduated highschool and I read 900 page novels as easily as any childrens picture book (if not as fast) and I read just as fast if not faster then average and I love writing. I'm not pefect at any of these things but I love them and don't mind working at them. Who knows, someday I might publish a book if I ever find enough time to sort out all of the ideas swarming the corners of my brain into a good solid storyline. (Not my story but a fantastic fiction when finished properly.)

Noone in this world who matters asks someone to be perfect. Noone in this world who is perfect matters. So, just do your best, be yourself and don't ever limit yourself. As a result life will be harder, more enjoyable, and worth every living minute.

... and join my rebellion against time.

Railgun Assimilate Champion Sazuka may be famous one day Sazuka may be famous one day Sazuka's Avatar
    Thanks

I don't think I'm dyslexic but I'm quite certain I have a speech disorder. I've never gone to get it checked out but I have a horrible time trying to say what I mean and I often have run on sentences.(like that one!) I often squish what I'm saying together and it causes me to stumble around my words sometimes.

Otaku Caixa 2006 Champion Corvus may be famous one day Corvus may be famous one day Corvus's Avatar
    Thanks

I didn't see any run on sentences...
    And you're not the only one that suffers from that. Most people do. It's not as bad a problem as you think it is. It takes a little time and a lot of help from people who care enough to tell you when you don't make complete sense. (People who know you enough to know what you mean to say even when you don't.) Another thing that helps is thinking about what you say before you do.

... and join my rebellion against time.

★~Ao's Irish Fariy ~★ equinn may be famous one day equinn may be famous one day equinn's Avatar
    Thanks

yeah!!

no worrys i got tested this year my reading is that of a 9 year old my spelling 6 and what ever but they tested me alor father cos the woman didnt belive from the way i was talking with her that i would read and wight so horbaly

yeah bullying happened me a HELL of a lot and the reason i act werid and not like other girls is because i was never sitting with girls though primery (grade i think shcool)

but yeah i also used to get shouted as constently cos i would have been told somthing a few mins before and i would have forgot when i was younger i can swear that i never read books ( didnt like them) and now ill only read manga and being on the computer etc has helped my reading and spelling a lot too

You's Trollin Pro Leafblower Champion, Helicopter Champion ketaro is making a name for themselves ketaro is making a name for themselves ketaro's Avatar
    Thanks

Indeed Dyslexia is a non-curable learning disability although that doesn't mean you cannot learn. Do your best and you will do fine at school and in the real world nonetheless as long as you don't give up ^_^x..

Quote Originally Posted by Sazuka View Post
    I don't think I'm dyslexic but I'm quite certain I have a speech disorder. I've never gone to get it checked out but I have a horrible time trying to say what I mean and I often have run on sentences.(like that one!) I often squish what I'm saying together and it causes me to stumble around my words sometimes.
    I think you may have something called Phonological dyslexia, although, i could be 100% wrong. You should go get that checked though, you never know.

Otaku desxms may be famous one day desxms may be famous one day desxms's Avatar
    Thanks

People find ways of adapting... don't let the school system rule you... after all Hellen Keller did great. Elvis got an F in music, Einstein a D in math. Yeah sometimes teachers are looking for teachable pets but hang on... sometimes those in the back of the class ends up in front or teaching it at a college level. Hang in there. Me, I'm schizo but was able to go to college. My anti-psychotic pills help and a book on memory tricks and other study aids like speed reading books and mathemagic books. My former boyfriend had dyslexia.. for some strange reason it was a turn on. I wanted to teach him a lesson after class and pretend I was the principal... but I digress.

Mage of Eternity Joe Mage is making a name for themselves Joe Mage is making a name for themselves Joe Mage's Avatar
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by equinn View Post
    well i have known for quite a while now that i may of had this disablity but never imagined it would actually been true...

i guess alot of AO more the older AO members who would have minded me when i was new...
    my spelling and understanding of alot of things here were very hard

mostly when the site all changed i wasnt sure on how the new rules went and what not so i had gotten ALOT of infections ( i donno if i spelt that right!!)

i really want to get though school and hopefuly uni someday but being with the fact of a lerning disablity it kinda makes you feel bad and not able.

since a young age i have been strokin by teachers not wanting to help since all the ones i have had all only care truthfuly for the smarter children and dont give children witch do need the extra help ANY!

i had it pretty bad crying and thinking i wasnt pretty or smart or anything just wishing to die and all that from a very young age due from bullying etc...

it has lasted a long time from a young age till now but knowing this makes me abit happyer to know im not dumb i am really smart when i have help

but i really wanna know if anyone on AO has Dyslexia and how they live with it and if its helped any
    I was diagnosed wit Dyslexia (and what was known as ADD back then) at a young age, I believe that I was 11 and in the 4th grade, however I no one really noticed 'til then. Problem was that I could read very well, dispite my disability. The only way that it was noticed was 'cause of my math, I used ta have great diffculty wit it. Even addin' and subtractin' big numbers gave me great difficulty. One key thing that I've learned in dealin' wit Dyslexia is jus' take ur time and relax. It's not an easy thing ta do, but if u don' do it u won' b able ta control the problem. Of course u won' b able ta completely control it, but u'll b able ta get it ta a point ta where u can at least live comfortably wit it. Here's one of my tricks, if u come across a big word and u're havin' difficulty wit it; study the root of the word. That often helps me, if I memorize the root of the word it allows me ta get the rest of the word. It doesn' always work, but most of the time it helps me out.

Sanity doesn't exist, it's just an excuse cooked up by crazy people to justify their actions. My myspace page: www.myspace.com/joemage

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast