+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Thread: A Dictonary

Banned CTD High Jump Champion, Cop-For-This Champion, Soap Bubble Champion, Gandys Quest Champion, Kill Time in Your Office Champion, Slow Motion Champion, Moodys Magical Eye Champion, The Fridge Champion, Dangerous Fishing Champion, Panda Golf 2: Christmas Edition Champion, Driving Mad Champion, Head to Head Champion, Super Headers Champion, Penguin Arcade Champion, Chopper Challenge Champion, Air Dodge Champion, Chopper Chase Champion, F/A-18 Hornet Champion, Snow Boarding Champion, Spaceman Bob`s Great Escape Champion, Space Cowboy Champion, Rons Free Fall Champion, Gandys Quest Champion, Black Dragon Champion, Samegame and Champion, Mayan Mask Champion, 42 Games Champion, Cubedelic Champion, Smaugs Schatkist Champion, Python Champion, Thor Towers Champion Mini Dev is off to a good start
    Thanks

Re: A Dictonary

In my primary school we were naught in our class and we had to write out the dictionary for a week, we found some real foul language one of my friends goes to the teachers, why does the dictionary have the word bastard in it? We've never read out of a dictionary since

Chtonian Slayer Astaroth may be famous one day Astaroth's Avatar
    Thanks

I have three sets of dictionaries....and my favorite is a 1936 Websters Universal edition which consist of two books that are around 1000 pages each....
    there is absolutely nothing that you can think of and not find it in those dictionaries.....
    I also have the newer editions and a medical edition since I take Anatomy is my university and believe me when I say that I use it every second because those words get so complicated...and they look so similar to each other.......
    I do not know what i would do without my dictionaries.....
    DO NOT MAKE ME UNLEASH MY INNER DEMON

Warrior Monk kedar may be famous one day kedar may be famous one day kedar's Avatar
    Thanks

Seven years back when I seriously started to learn English.. which is my third language, I used to carry a dictionary with me everywhere I went, along with a book or two, especially short novels, written in English. I spent time reading books primarily outside, while commuting or resting at a park, so having a dictionary with me came in very handy. And the dictionary that I had also covered rules on grammar, though not extensively, and I got my "parts of speech" that way. I still fail at using "articles" properly sometimes, among many other things, but when I look back at where I started off, I have certainly made a "LOT" of improvement. Considerable thanks to dictionaries.

Legendary Otaku Snake Champion, Zelda Champion, Crazy Koala Champion, Minigolf Champion, Concentrate Champion, Guess 5 Champion, Batting Champ Champion, Beach Ball Control Champion, Bookworm Champion, Wacky Word Wiz Champion, Fight Fight 3 Champion, Spinner's Luck Champion, Traffic Jam Champion, Yeti Pengu Throw Champion Legend is making a name for themselves Legend is making a name for themselves Legend is making a name for themselves Legend's Avatar
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Hassun View Post
    I wish a lot of you would use the dictionary more.
    And by using I mean reading it, not using it as paperweight or to stabilize a table.
    I guess I'm guilty for that one. I bought a 3.5 inch thick dictionary years back but never went to using it, though it does make my desk look good. Mostly whenever I come across a word I don't know it's off to dictionary.com. My gripe with dictionaries is the materials used to create the dictionary pages. Simply breathe on it and it'll probably crumble to pieces.

'Cause you give me something / That makes me scared, alright / This could be nothing / But I'm willing to give it a try / Please give me something
    'Cause someday I might call you from my heart

~always by your side~ Radarix Champion, Virus 2 Champion, Virus 3 Champion fireandice is off to a good start fireandice's Avatar
    Thanks

I use mine quite abit. I have it sitting beside my computer so all I have to do is just grab it and look up the spelling of a word. I also have the thesaurus right under neath it. It's easier for me to use the books then to mess with all the windows I already have up.
    Last edited by fireandice; Feb 11, 2008 at 09:50 PM.

Learn, live, laugh, GROW 5 Card Draw Champion, Bubble Trouble Champion, Connect 4 Champion, Long Jump Champion, Collapse Champion, BALLZ! Champion, Rotamania Champion, Rotations Champion, Hishi Champion, Domino Pressure Champion, Fun_game1 Champion, Road Blocks Champion, Puzzle Maniax Champion, Cloud Breakout Champion lebasiara may be famous one day lebasiara's Avatar
    Thanks

To use the dictionary for me it is not only to look up for the meaning of a word... it is to make my knowledge wider...
    People should use it more... not every now and then. Maybe the ignorance will decrease... a lil...
    Nothing less from Pyro ^_^ Great Sig ^_^ THANK YOU!!!!
    C:\Documents and Settings\MARA\My Documents\My Pictures\Anime room\sigs\music_sig1 mia ^_^.jpg
    "show me.... THE BEAST!!!" The Beauty and the Beast movie

Golden Crypt Lord James Bunny Champion, Leaf Bouncer Champion, Flying Pengus Champion, Jungle Jumble Champion, Hungry Hippaul Champion LichGRIFFIN may be famous one day LichGRIFFIN's Avatar
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Mini Dev View Post
    Ok this just popped into my head randomly...Who in their home uses a dictonary, or in that case HAS a dictionary in their home?

It just accurd to me that i rarley look up things in a dictionary i usually do it via computer. If you get those really expensive dictionaries they have amazing facts in like the longest rivers, highest mountains Etc. Well maybe not amazing but it may be to some people .

Maybe i occansily glance through it if i'm stuck on a word but i have one laying around and i barley touch it...Is this the same with people?
    i have 3 VERY old dictionaries in the house i used to use them a lot before having dictionaries on my computer .. so now we're pretty the same
    Life and Death are always one and the same
    EVEN IF A RAINBOW IS BROKEN THERE'S STILL THE SKY

Otaku FuzzyBearofDoom is off to a good start FuzzyBearofDoom's Avatar
    Thanks

I have a dictionary in fact it sits beside my bed and I read it all the time it is a good way to expand my vocabulary.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast