+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 8 1 2 3 4 ... LastLast

Thread: Disturbing Trends Among The Youth

Banned beast may be famous one day beast may be famous one day beast's Avatar
    Thanks

Disturbing Trends Among The Youth

Well having been back in the states for a short while I have noticed a weird trend. Teenagers seem content to hang around in parking lots, outside of stores, and street corners doing nothing. When I was younger if I wasn't working I was studying or busy with extra-curricular activities.

It stresses me out since they are not learning anything or accomplishing something. Do you think I am making too big a deal out of this? What are your thoughts?

Strange Times Dark. is making a name for themselves Dark. is making a name for themselves Dark.'s Avatar
    Thanks

Re: Disturbing Trends Among The Youth

What's wrong with just hanging out? Granted, hanging out at those places for no reason isn't exactly the first place I'd go to hang, but I find it hard to believe your a guy who doesn't find one way or another to chill out.

There could be a lot of reasons why but I'll bet I can guess the general scenario: Depending how young a teen you are, say, 15; you're too young to drink, smoke, drive, or go to good movies (i.e. R-rated movies). Sure, you could hang out at home, but that gets boring. So, why not hang at some place public? Being a suburban kid, I know all about boring small towns, so it doesn't bother nor surprise me to see a group of kids dinking around Walmart, or walking around parking lots at 11 at night (becuz I've done that shit before myself).

So basically they're hanging out there because they're bored, beast. Kids get bored, they go do random things like hang out in the parking lot at the mall at one in the morning, and try not to get caught by douche-bag cops.

Of course I'm just talking about at night, if it's during the day and they're bored that just means they need something to do. Lots of parents won't even let their teens work, studying is lame, and if you got no hobbies and activities you do, what's left? Hang out. I'd also hardly call this a new trend, beast, if you've EVER lived in a suburban or god forbid rural area, you'd realize how boring it gets.

3. The Following User Says Thank You to Dark. For This Useful Post:

!beast (Apr 11, 2010)

Thanks

You make some good points dark and ev en when I was young it was difficult to get a job before turning 18. I managed to do it but many did not. I still find it weird that they have no hobbies though.

Otaku ToxicShadow is off to a good start ToxicShadow's Avatar
    Thanks

that might be true but if you noticed a lot of younger people get into way more trouble then what we would have.And solicatating is very anoying especially if its next to your house and at parks not that much problem unless they try to start something
    Hold me Like you held on to life When all fears came alive and entombed me Love me Like you love the sun Scorching the blood in my vampire heart

Femmebot Rehab Colt Crouse Champion, Bookworm Champion, Hangman Champion, Connect 2 Champion Peach_follows has become well known Peach_follows has become well known Peach_follows has become well known Peach_follows's Avatar
    Thanks

I still find it weird that they have no hobbies though.
    It stresses me out since they are not learning anything
    What does not having a job, or an extra curricular activity have to do with having hobbies or knowledge?

I have barely worked at all, and have yet to attend college (out side of a few months of trade school, and training courses). I tend to be less ignorant on many subjects... than a lot of my working peers with college degrees. And its not just a feeling or cocky hunch.

Keep an open mind beast. Working and college education are only a couple of ways one could go about gaining knowledge and prospective, and perhaps some income. There is plenty of value in taking time to get to know your environment. To people watch. To hang out and be social, If done with enough tact... it's plausible to socialize your way to fortune and fame. "Hanging out" isn't just a pass time. Its a skill. It can end up being more than just a hobby.
    ... Not Ever Again...

7. The Following User Says Thank You to Peach_follows For This Useful Post:

Dark. (Apr 12, 2010)

Otaku Dragons2801 is off to a good start Dragons2801's Avatar
    in a place beyond the reaches of time, gripped with sorow, pain driving everything to insanity.
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Peach_follows View Post
    What does not having a job, or an extra curricular activity have to do with having hobbies or knowledge?

I have barely worked at all, and have yet to attend college (out side of a few months of trade school, and training courses). I tend to be less ignorant on many subjects... than a lot of my working peers with college degrees. And its not just a feeling or cocky hunch.

Keep an open mind beast. Working and college education are only a couple of ways one could go about gaining knowledge and prospective, and perhaps some income. There is plenty of value in taking time to get to know your environment. To people watch. To hang out and be social, If done with enough tact... it's plausible to socialize your way to fortune and fame. "Hanging out" isn't just a pass time. Its a skill. It can end up being more than just a hobby.
    i grew up in ruel areas, i lived on a farm, when i was about six years old my parents made us work we would mow lawns all day for the city. we would pay for our stuff that we needed.
    i look around at my envirnment and i could tell you what everyones doing and saying, however people do not like this. i am and exolent speaker, but i did not learn how to socialize by hanging out with friends, when i was younger i actualy went out with adults. i learned how to use long words and weve them into sentences. when i was in the sixth grade i could talk as well as my teacher. so no you dont need to hang with friends to gain that knolege. one attaines knolege by being alive, looking around and seeing different stuff you gain knolege that you dont realize.

within the darkened realm of the mind, is endless shadows, wrenching pain, warming love, and burning desires.

Femmebot Rehab Colt Crouse Champion, Bookworm Champion, Hangman Champion, Connect 2 Champion Peach_follows has become well known Peach_follows has become well known Peach_follows has become well known Peach_follows's Avatar
    Thanks

No one said hanging out with friends is the only way to do anything. Socializing can go far beyond "speaking well" also.

I think that mastering social skills gives a person confidence. Being able to be infectious, to attract people to you, to posses charm and wit. These are traits that, while can be found in many ways, are often mastered by raising your status in a social setting.

Besides... hanging out on street corners, or outside stores, ect... it could mean so many different things. I have been harassed by people as I walked in and out of the store. I've seen people deal drugs on street corners. In theses cases I would agree that loitering and such is not only redundant... It's disruptive.

But, I have also ran barefoot in the rain down the boulevard with a handful of friends. Feeling the rushing water go through my toes.

Or have found myself frozen in awe in my urban environment, observing. Just last winter I stood outside an establishment, as I gazed at the grave yard across the street. I noticed how even in several feet of snow... people still made foot prints to pay respects to departed loved ones. That notion had me swollen with inspiration and emotion. You may have thought I was just standing there... ignorant and hobbyless.

I have some of my most cherished memories... just sitting on my front stairs to the house.
    one attaines knolege by being alive, looking around and seeing different stuff you gain knolege that you dont realize.
    Exactly.

You really can't judge a book by its cover.
    ... Not Ever Again...

Thanks

It just seems that people should be doing something with their lives at that age. Community service, if you can't work. Sports, art.

People who have nothing to do are sooo much more likely to be get into trouble.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 8 1 2 3 4 ... LastLast