+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Earth Hour..YAY..turn off your lights ~.^

Àddïctëd tø |ăüghïñg :) Sonny Sunshine Champion, Volcano Champion, Aquarium Sprengischen Champion, Spiderman Web of Words Champion, Look Alive Champion iluvmyloser is off to a good start iluvmyloser's Avatar
    Thanks

Earth Hour..YAY..turn off your lights ~.^

Google

Spread the word^^

Turn your lights off.^^ Another way to same the world. I even boght a tshit that says "Miss Save the planet"

from google .com.
    Google users in the United States will notice today that we "turned the lights out" on the Google.com homepage as a gesture to raise awareness of a worldwide energy conservation effort called Earth Hour. As to why we don't do this permanently - it saves no energy; modern displays use the same amount of power regardless of what they display. However, you can do something to reduce the energy consumption of your home PC by joining the Climate Savers Computing Initiative.

On Saturday, March 29, 2008, Earth Hour invites people around the world to turn off their lights for one hour – from 8:00pm to 9:00pm in their local time zone. On this day, cities around the world, including Copenhagen, Chicago, Melbourne, Dubai, and Tel Aviv, will hold events to acknowledge their commitment to energy conservation.

Given our company's commitment to environmental awareness and energy efficiency, we strongly support the Earth Hour campaign, and have darkened our homepage today to help spread awareness of what we hope will be a highly successful global event.
    Why did Google choose this specific organization?
    We believe in doing our part to help combat climate change, and found the Earth Hour initiative to be a timely, important event. Further, we think the "lights out" idea's individual-centered nature is something that millions of people worldwide can participate in. In short, we really like it. So we did something about it.

How can I get Google to do something similar for my organization or project?
    We welcome your ideas on how we can become more socially and environmentally responsible. Although we can't guarantee either a placement on the Google homepage or even a response to every query, we do read every email we receive and welcome your ideas of organizations that you believe we should feature. If you'd like to submit a proposal, please send it to us at [email protected].
    ©2008 Google
    Do as it says^^ Read for more details here^^> Google
    Yeah, Bye.

Otaku mere is off to a good start mere's Avatar
    Thanks

Re: Earth Hour..YAY..turn off your lights ~.^

I think this is a good idea. My school actualy did something to this effect yeasterday, all the teachers shut off the lights and we had to work by sunlight. It was interesting, couldn't use the overhead though. It also made me kinda tierd because it was so dark lol.
    The only thing that truly sucks about this is I won't be able to go on the computer during this hour lol, ohwell I'll just have to deal with it i guess

Devoted Otaku Spike'sRose may be famous one day Spike'sRose may be famous one day Spike'sRose's Avatar
    Thanks

I will participate... Mostly because I will be asleep anyway. Whoot! rofl.

Honestly, this would help conserve energy and reduce stress on our planet if we did this all the time.
    Doing this just once doesn't really help very much. ((Unfortunately!!))

mere - My school did the same thing when I was in 11th grade. ^_^ I thought it was pretty cool, myself! One of my classes actually went outside to have class in the daylight... Oh I thought it was really nice! Especially because those overhead lights are horrid for your eyes and brain. (T_T)

Grouchy Old Anime Otaku LenMiyata has become well known LenMiyata has become well known LenMiyata has become well known LenMiyata's Avatar
    Thanks

Grumble Grumble Grumble

Still, actions like this are just token acts of marketing publicity, relatively painless to do, but no real commitment to change, nor long term impact on the issue at hand. Now if they had something like 'observe the speed limit seek' this would have a much more significant impact on energy savings, reducing green house gas emissions, as well reducing the drain on your own wallet, but doesn't sound as machismo as what they are proposing to do...
    FAVOURITE THREADS EXPLAIN why, or risk an infraction.
    Rantings of a Grouchy Old Anime Otaku

~jUsT sMiLe~ _gwenibe_ may be famous one day _gwenibe_ may be famous one day _gwenibe_'s Avatar
    Thanks

I missed it. Dr Martin was way to interesting for me to get off the couch and switch off the light :P

But it's a good thing I guess, I just hope it has more long term effect than just one night. I guess it also sends a message to our politicians and policy makers that we actually care (not that I really think it will do anything anyways..)

Otaku Cruisin with crush Champion, Animal Rescue Champion abby724 is off to a good start abby724's Avatar
    Thanks

Marketing publicity? You mean... Google... No way... And to me of all people. Betrayal!

Perhaps the turning off of lights won't have much as an impact as the message being sent out by Google... But the Earth Hour thing can really remind alot of people about the environment. "Oh yeah... Greenhouse emissions... Maybe I can do a little bit more?" Well, at least, that's how I'm thinking.

Useful thread, though I already learned about this through ol' Mr. Buckley. Though I admit, the tag for this thread is a little... odd...
    GALERIE : Limited Internet access for certain reasons...

Àddïctëd tø |ăüghïñg :) Sonny Sunshine Champion, Volcano Champion, Aquarium Sprengischen Champion, Spiderman Web of Words Champion, Look Alive Champion iluvmyloser is off to a good start iluvmyloser's Avatar
    Thanks

IT is odd indeed^^. But still, i did as it said. Because it was on google does not really mean it's fake.I searched other sources such as Ask.com Or Yahoo.com. So i did it to help the planet anyway.^^
    Yeah, Bye.

You's Trollin Pro Leafblower Champion, Helicopter Champion ketaro is making a name for themselves ketaro is making a name for themselves ketaro's Avatar
    Thanks

I wonder how many people actually did it to save some energy. It takes more than just google telling people to do so. When i opened my intenet browser and went to google i was like why is the page black, then i saw the message saying that they had turned off the lights to save the planet.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast