+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Education Abroad

God's Little Girl blue_rebel may be famous one day blue_rebel may be famous one day blue_rebel's Avatar
    Thanks

Education Abroad

I'm trying to come up with one sentence to sum up the purpose(s) of this thread, but can't. But I guess I'll ask some questions.

1. What & where do/did you intend to study?
    2. What influences/influenced your choice of major?
    3. Also, what influences/influenced your choice of college?
    4. Have you taken the SAT/ACT/TOEFL/IELTS/other required external exam?
    5. Anything else that's relevant (ask questions, give advice, etc)

In my case,

1. I intend to study film (because it's the only major that encompasses all my passions in photography, music, acting and computer graphics) in the States (because that's THE place to study film). I've already applied Early Decision to NYU, and am going to apply to CalArts, BU, SMFA, USC and Northwestern.

2. See (1). I chose film simply because I have a pretty big interest in it, and it's the only major I can think of that covers everything I have a passion for and am good at. Plus, I've always wanted to inspire other people the way other movies inspired me.

3. I'm really picky. I come from a family of high academic achievers, so it's only natural that I select a college with a highly selective admission, and one that admits only really good students. That's one. I'm also kinda partial to the location of the college and how renown the college's department (for my intended major) is - for example, I was considering Cornell for film, but Cornell normally isn't the first college you'd think of when you think about doing film, and Ithaca is a little too quiet for my liking. ^^;;

4. SAT I (770/760/720), Subject Tests (740 for Level 2 Math, 700 for Literature and 800 for Physics) and TOEFL (iBT 113/120). Yeeeeesh. So many tests. Just so I can go to the states. >_> What a chore.

Let's hear from you!
    Do ask questions too. I know that in a lot of forums, there a loads of high school students who are preparing for college, and well... I figured a college discussion might not be so bad, as long as it doesn't get clogged up with spam.
    Last edited by blue_rebel; Nov 10, 2006 at 08:35 PM.

~jUsT sMiLe~ _gwenibe_ may be famous one day _gwenibe_ may be famous one day _gwenibe_'s Avatar
    Thanks

Re: Education Abroad

Quote Originally Posted by blue_rebel View Post

[B]1. What & where do/did you intend to study, and why?
    I study at a University, a relatively new one only 10 years old, I love it, and I love studing how the environment works. though when I chose it, I didn't realise how much I would love it, I basically just wanted to do a science, but didn't know what, so I chose the environment!

when I chose it, I didn't realise how much I would love it, I basically just wanted to do a science, but didn't know what, so I chose the environment!

I'm majoring in Environment and Health - without the environment in order, human health won't be too good.

It was near where I lived, and I love living on the coast - so laid back, it's great.

I didn't want to go to the city and go to the biggest and best uni. It' not the ni that matters it's the individual. If you want to achieve something, than it doesn't matter where you go.

Though, when I started, I saw my uni as, well, put it this way kinda any one can get in, I guess I wondered how my education was going to turn out.

But, I learnt later on that I was being taught by teachers who had world experiance, one of my lecturers was given an award by out PM for his environment works.[QUOTE=blue_rebel;410039]4. Have you taken the

SAT/ACT/TOEFL/IELTS/other required external exam?
    Nope, just had to pass year 11/12 & get a good OP. It's kinda different in Aust, unless you are doing music dance or drama or something else.. you don't really need to sit any extra exams to get into uni, any uni that is..

THUMBSUCKING ADDICTION Mr. K is making a name for themselves Mr. K is making a name for themselves Mr. K's Avatar
    Thanks

1. What & where do/did you intend to study, and why?
    I am going to were my parents say I must. (-.-) I know it sucks but yes, theyhave a future instore for me.

I have not a major in mind. But Doctor seems to be on the top list....

Like I said its not my choice, I respect my parents wishes..

I have taken all the test I need to get where I am headed. (._.)

At one, I think people should choose what they want to be, if you can't make it up, do what I did. Just do what your parents choose. So if you fail and that its not like you failed in your real dream. I just want to have fun in life is all. A few smiles here and there. Life is what you make of it ~
    ≥°≤ [?] █▓▒░░▒▓█ [?] ≥°≤
    You know how you drown a blonde, Rosalie? Glue a mirror to the bottom of a pool.
    Jacob Black, Breaking Dawn, Chapter 14, p.271
    Lamie Hynamen "I reject your reality and substitute my own."

God's Little Girl blue_rebel may be famous one day blue_rebel may be famous one day blue_rebel's Avatar
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Mr. K View Post
    At one, I think people should choose what they want to be, if you can't make it up, do what I did. Just do what your parents choose. So if you fail and that its not like you failed in your real dream. I just want to have fun in life is all. A few smiles here and there. Life is what you make of it ~
    I strongly believe in going ahead and doing what you want to do, but AFTER taking into consideration all the implications, pros and cons of what you're going to do. I wanted to go to Berklee to do music, but I figured that even if I graduate with a degree in music from a prestigious music college, that's all I have - a degree in music, and that doesn't let me do much else (plus it's a really risky, unstable job). No point spending so much money and time just to learn how to compose funky stuff when I can do that during my free time, or take a month-long intensive course.

Then I also wanted to do journalism because I like writing, but I figured, no point, because that's all I'll be - a journalist. That's why I chose film - because I become a photographer (cinematographer), writer, audio technician, designer and CG-er all in one. My parents weren't too happy at first, because they're both doctors, but I was VERY stubborn. Eventually they gave in.

I don't get what you mean by not "making it up". Explain?

THUMBSUCKING ADDICTION Mr. K is making a name for themselves Mr. K is making a name for themselves Mr. K's Avatar
    Thanks

I don't get what you mean by not "making it up". Explain?
    Alot of people are not sure what they want to be when they grow up. I can't think of anything. I know what I am good at, but not what I want to be~

People stay stick to what your good at.

What I mean by making it up, as in if you don't have anything in mind, or a dream. I guess there's no need to think about it. Make it up, and think about if you want to do that. Just do what makes you happy.

I like making my parents happy. I have it good life compare to them, and more ways to get what I want. ^_^ My mom changes her Jobs all the time. To theater, to college, and mini Jobs that she enjoys.

My father a baker and is ok with that in life. I just want to see them happy is all.

Most people are affected by there parents life style. ^_^ No regrets. lol.
    ≥°≤ [?] █▓▒░░▒▓█ [?] ≥°≤
    You know how you drown a blonde, Rosalie? Glue a mirror to the bottom of a pool.
    Jacob Black, Breaking Dawn, Chapter 14, p.271
    Lamie Hynamen "I reject your reality and substitute my own."

AO's Demon Slayer Hexxagon Champion, Match Stick Soccer Champion Blade X may be famous one day Blade X may be famous one day Blade X's Avatar
    Thanks

1. What & where do/did you intend to study, and why?
    Well I was attempted to do American Studies just so that I can go to America XD. Seriously, I'm gonna be studying Finance and Law. Then I would be doing a major in Law and minoring in Finance.

Always have wanted to do something with Law coz I watched like Judging Judy (i think cant remember) Then there's always like the side of Law in shows like CSI and LAw and Order. I know it's criminal law they're doing and stuff but I just find it cool.

Havent got a firm choice like but somewhere in London will be nice.

Nope, been lucky so far.

I'll let you know when I get into the University I want

Thanks for the siggy Ky-lyrra

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Mr. K View Post
    Alot of people are not sure what they want to be when they grow up. I can't think of anything. I know what I am good at, but not what I want to be~ People stay stick to what your good at.
    Wouldn't you like to be in a job that enables you to do what you're good at? If there's something you like, something you have a great passion for, you really should think about doing something related to it. Your passion may not necessarily be what you're presently good at, but if you're passionate about it you'll definitely want to take steps to become good at it, no?

Quote Originally Posted by Mr.K
    What I mean by making it up, as in if you don't have anything in mind, or a dream. I guess there's no need to think about it. Make it up, and think about if you want to do that. Just do what makes you happy.

I like making my parents happy. I have it good life compare to them, and more ways to get what I want. ^_^ My mom changes her Jobs all the time. To theater, to college, and mini Jobs that she enjoys. My father a baker and is ok with that in life. I just want to see them happy is all. Most people are affected by there parents life style. ^_^ No regrets. lol. [/COLOR][/I]
    LOL!! If my dad was a baker I think I'd be obese by now, going by how much I love eating. Doing loads of miscellaneous jobs sounds fun. It'd be nice if I could do something like that too... you know, be a jazz pianist in a hotel lounge for a couple of weeks in between shooting films, and go photograph weddings or other events over the weekend, and design clothes during my free time... LOL, when I think about that, it sounds like I won't be a second of free time at all once I'm out of college!

I guess if you're happy when you make your parents happy, it might not be such a bad idea to go into the line of work they want you to. Just give it a little more thought, and make sure it's really for you. You don't want to regret it later on.

Quote Originally Posted by Blade X
    Always have wanted to do something with Law coz I watched like Judging Judy (i think cant remember) Then there's always like the side of Law in shows like CSI and LAw and Order. I know it's criminal law they're doing and stuff but I just find it cool.

Havent got a firm choice like but somewhere in London will be nice.
    Heh, just like my sister. She used to watch Ally McBeal all the time and idolised Lucy Liu. That's how she arrived at Law. If you're planning to do Law in London go for UCL or LSE. My sister's doing Law @ UCL. It's better than LSE, but both are pretty good schools so I don't think there's much of a difference.

Materials Master KnightofNi may be famous one day KnightofNi may be famous one day KnightofNi's Avatar
    Thanks

I am a college student at Georgia Tech which is a technology school in Atlanta Ga, in the United States, I chose this college because it is one of the top 5 engineering schools in the southeast and the number 8 school in the country.

I study Materials Science and Engineering, basically I analyze and create everything you see around you, and everything you interact with that has been made by man; I chose this major because I enjoy finding out how things work and how they are made, I was always interested in what things were made of.

Being from the Southeast, I wanted to go to a top-ranked school and Tech was it, it is considered the best "bang for your buck" for engineering schools, basically it is on par with MIT but not as expensive.

I have taken the SAT, ACT, which allowed me to go to Tech, however soon I will preparing for the GRE(for Ph.D. school), the Post Doctoral exam, the EIT and PE exams, which allow for an engineer to be considered a Professional Engineer.

My advice would be that no matter what your parents say, you should choose a school you are comfortable at, no matter the circumstances, because you are going to spend a good 4-8 years at the school and yah might as well like it.

btw, I am very happy with my major

Clan orders: Wear the signature of defeat with pride.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast