+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Education: Bad Place To Cut Budgets

Banned beast may be famous one day beast may be famous one day beast's Avatar
    Thanks

Re: Education: Bad Place To Cut Budgets

You make some good points Zev and you support them well. But where I differ is in the responsibility to ourselves by creating a future full of knowledgeable leaders and an intelligent, better trained work force. Sure some people don't want to learn but let's see to it that those who do have every chance possible to learn as much as they can.

丹色 月影 BrightShadow_96 may be famous one day BrightShadow_96 may be famous one day BrightShadow_96's Avatar
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Zev View Post
    I don't think its a big deal. If parents don't like the public education then they can home school, or get a tutor.
    But what about the people who can't afford tutors or don't have time to home school their children? I'd have to disagree and say that any negative change in the educational system is a big deal. There are some that are smarter, some that try, and some that just aren't motivated, but there are more still who need a little push to get anywhere. In this case, generalizing entire student bodies doesn't cut it, because, bottom line, a cut in education means generations following the cut are less-educated (unless we magically have a generation of extraordinarily intelligent children that want to learn).

Anyway, I'm definitely against cuts in education: I'm a firm believer in making sure that the next generation is better off than ours. Despite immediate repercussions, when are we going to fix these problems if not now? If our focus became improving education, the following generations would be better-prepared to deal with any other problems that we may have left behind (instead of education).

Just my two cents (though I'm sure my opinion is biased, since I'm planning on becoming a teacher).

Leave me alone, fanboys! rematche is making a name for themselves rematche is making a name for themselves rematche's Avatar
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by beast View Post
    Another issue which I should have included is that extra-curricular activities are also being cut as well. This is sad because from what I know of school districts as a student and a tax payer is that once something gets cut it tends to stay cut.
    what?! i feel sorry for the next generation. if this keep up, more people will be in favor of home school, which i am against it. you can't have the experience if it's home school, not to mention being naive to the real world.
    YYYEEEEAAAAAAHHHHH!!!

Strange Times Dark. is making a name for themselves Dark. is making a name for themselves Dark.'s Avatar
    Thanks

You do make some damn good points, but I think that's a crappy way to look at it, Zev. I'm not entirely sold on the concept of 'naturally smart' people, I am a person who believes nurture, not nature, decides how intelligent most people will be. You talk of those without the will to learn, but you don't ask yourself the question as to WHY they've lost the will? I know a good place to start, maybe the parents? Parents are a crucial part of how a child's life is going to play out, how parents behave and how much they encourage their children is going to decide largely that child's fate. If for example my parents were self-serving partyers that didn't give a crap about me, I could just as easily be a high school drop-out, but instead, they loved me and gave me opportunities and now I am a college student.

If a child can't find a mentor from a parent, their next place is friends, but we both know friends aren't always the best role models either. So if you can't rely on family or friends who's left? Well there's only one place left where the law requires you to go anyway, and that's school.

One really good teacher, a teacher that is passionate and truly cares about their students can also drastically change a kid's life and whether they'll become smart or not. One good teacher can inspire that will to learn, even if for whatever reason it was lost. You want to give up on a kid before they even have a chance to begin, is that honestly how you want the future to be? It doesn't solve anything, it just adds more people to the problem.

And I knowthat even with all these factors; even if a kid has good parents, good friends, and good teachers that they can still have no will to learn, believe me, I know those people. I'm not saying our system can save everybody, I'm just saying it shouldn't stop trying. Limiting funding to what is basically shaping the next generation will only limit the next generation. If we think too shortsightedly we're going to lose sight of the big picture completely and the current and future generations will all be miserable.

Otaku Animal Keeper Champion, RefleX v1.2 Champion CBtay01 is off to a good start CBtay01's Avatar
    California.. when on Vacation under ur bed
    Thanks

those are good points but that is odd they are cutting teachers? at my high school they are cutting our drama and music and a couple history classes and then combineing a couple others.
    I think if u have a teacher that knows what they are doing then you can learn from them I had to repeate math but it was because of my teacher.I dont like the naturally smart point very much I honestly that could be a tottaly different subject becau I noticed a lot of the really "smart" kids have at least a decent house hold wereas I was in foster care I kinda think that is a stupid excuse but i really does seem true.
    They really do need to find a new place to cut tho dont they lol?

Banned beast may be famous one day beast may be famous one day beast's Avatar
    Thanks

After reviewing everyone's comments I think what I find generally to be disturbing is where responsibility is assigned for the educational system. To me anything that puts the blame on the children is wrong. It is not their fault budget constraints are dismantling the quality of the system.

As for CBtay01, sorry they cut those programs.

Otaku Animal Keeper Champion, RefleX v1.2 Champion CBtay01 is off to a good start CBtay01's Avatar
    California.. when on Vacation under ur bed
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by beast View Post

As for CBtay01, sorry they cut those programs.
    arent we all? i am moving schools purposely to get into band and drama not to mention tech .. why do they cut edu. cant they cut something else?

Otaku Simon Champion, Shanghi 2 Champion AstralMage01 is off to a good start AstralMage01's Avatar
    Thanks

Too bad home school or tutor alone isn't enough, I mean everyone needs school in order to level up in life; for example, in order to enter high school you need first to graduate from elementary or other example is needing to be graduated from a certain educational degree to apply for a certain decent job
    "If you do not believe in yourself, hardwork is useless"
    "Might Gai" from "Naruto"

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast