+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: elections

Banned aceman67 has become well known aceman67 has become well known aceman67 has become well known aceman67's Avatar
    Thanks

Re: elections

Quote Originally Posted by HolderOfTheDarkChalice View Post
    yea that sounds simple but one day the pregnant chads will visit your
    fine country along with all the agrivation of not knowing who won
    untill the media stops second guessing everyone. i see toronto being
    the florida of canada when that happen's . and i think the voting system here is ok and im gonna vote democrate this year bush just ruined my repulican
    spirit
    Canada's used this form of voting since they brought in silent ballot voting back in the 1800's, I don't forsee this changing anytime in the near or far future.

I'm all ears. Hassun has disabled reputation
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by aceman67 View Post
    Makes me glad the Canadian voting system is much more simple. You get a piece of paper and a pencil, In the paper are the Parliament party Candidates in your area, you simply put an "X" in one square next to the candidate you want to vote for, and thats it.
    Hey, that's the same system we have. Good old fashioned red pencil work.

Otaku Barronmore may be famous one day Barronmore may be famous one day Barronmore's Avatar
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Hassun View Post
    Hey, that's the same system we have. Good old fashioned red pencil work.
    I perfer pens myself. Then my vote is more perminate.

I live in Utah...I don't see political ads much at all. The only race that is even a contest is for our House Congressional seat. Jim Mathison (D) is challenging LaVar Christiensen (R). Mathison is about as popular as family after you won the lottery here. He only won by approximately 100 votes in 2004, so no one can tell my my vote doesn't matter. Even if I KNOW that Utah will swing republican for national elections, local matters (including house congressmen) are still decided by local voting.

In the end, I keep up with what is being said and done for my state and nationally and vote accordingly. If I don't know a local canidate it's pretty simple to look up their position in the local paper (the only good thing that has come out of our local paper for 2 years).

You gotta remember guys, politics is just like running a business. It takes money to get elected just like it takes money to make money. If your customers (voters) dont' bother doing their homework on what you (or your opponent) believe in then you have to advertise. If more voters would do their homework....

And contrary to popular beleif...thowing more money at the worlds problems won't solve them. There is only so much money can do. The money spent on charity and cure research dwarfs political contributions. Besides, a lot of that contribution money came from average citizens who wish to support their candidate. They are free to spend that money how they wish.

~jUsT sMiLe~ _gwenibe_ may be famous one day _gwenibe_ may be famous one day _gwenibe_'s Avatar
    Thanks

I think it is a complete waste of money!!

In some states (Aust) the canadates have to pay for it themselves, but i think federally it comes out of tax payers money!?!

Why not instead of shoving their faces in ours everywhere we look, why don't they just put laws in that we like instead and let us decided who we like based on what they have done, not by us seeing them everywhere..or by telling us we should

Legendary Otaku Snake Champion, Zelda Champion, Crazy Koala Champion, Minigolf Champion, Concentrate Champion, Guess 5 Champion, Batting Champ Champion, Beach Ball Control Champion, Bookworm Champion, Wacky Word Wiz Champion, Fight Fight 3 Champion, Spinner's Luck Champion, Traffic Jam Champion, Yeti Pengu Throw Champion Legend is making a name for themselves Legend is making a name for themselves Legend is making a name for themselves Legend's Avatar
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Barronmore View Post
    And contrary to popular beleif...thowing more money at the worlds problems won't solve them. There is only so much money can do. The money spent on charity and cure research dwarfs political contributions. Besides, a lot of that contribution money came from average citizens who wish to support their candidate. They are free to spend that money how they wish.
    I kind of have to disagree with you there. In some way, what the forefathers of this country did with the voting rights I have to agree somewhat. In the past, most of the folks didn't not have an education, so they were deprived of their voting rights. Today's situation is sort of similar, not because the common folk have no education, but the fact that there is too much in life to do all the necessary research.

Like me for example, the only way for me to determine what I want to vote for here in California is only to listen to a local news/talkshow station whenever I could. It's hard for me to trust the ads on tv, because we all know they are all a bunch of half truths. One of the propositions we have here, is being widely support by most of the state's newspaper and organizations, but at the same time I heard some of these organizations have received some sort of payment etc.

Otaku Nightwish may be famous one day Nightwish may be famous one day Nightwish's Avatar
    Thanks

i think the commecials are pointless. all they do is burn the other candidates and say things they support that are bad. i've only seen one commercial that states what the candidate is all about. it happened to be Herb Kohl for the surprise. these are also just Wisconsin sightings. so i ain't too sure what everyone else sees.

Otaku Barronmore may be famous one day Barronmore may be famous one day Barronmore's Avatar
    Thanks

Like me for example, the only way for me to determine what I want to vote for here in California is only to listen to a local news/talkshow station whenever I could. It's hard for me to trust the ads on tv, because we all know they are all a bunch of half truths. One of the propositions we have here, is being widely support by most of the state's newspaper and organizations, but at the same time I heard some of these organizations have received some sort of payment etc.
    SO, do some research yourselves. Here in Utah the only political battles that get really ugly are the constitution amendments and state inititives. I've learned through hard experiance that you just have to go read the proposal itself and NOT just trust what is being said about it. Most of the time the people supporting/opposing it havn't even read it and are just talking about the "talking points". So, do the same with the commercials. Every senators vote is on record. You can go look up what your canidate belives by his voting record. You don't have to take anyone's word on it. And as a voter, it's your responsibility to do this. You have the responsibilty to first KNOW what it is you beleive on a subject. 2. Then you must study the issues and canidates to see who you are comfortable voting for. It really is that simple. You just have to be disiplined enough to do it. If you can't find the time to do the research then simply don't vote. I know it sounds harsh but it's how i really feel. If your going to vote you owe it to yourself and your country to KNOW what your actually voting on.

Newbie thrallmatar may be famous one day thrallmatar may be famous one day
    Thanks

For those of you in California elections are on tuesday and go over what each propsitions says and how it effects you because what you chose will effect you

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast