+ Reply to Thread
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4

Thread: Enjoy Reading?

Fish Fingers & Custard Ice Hockey Champion, Smaugs Treasure Champion, Mini Putt 3 Champion, Ant Tracks Champion, Jungle Hunt Champion, Madnetics Champion, Manole Champion, Blokken Champion, Fast Food Fiasco Champion, Shapes Hifters Champion, Mud and Blood: Vietnam Champion HolderOfTheDarkChalice is making a name for themselves HolderOfTheDarkChalice is making a name for themselves HolderOfTheDarkChalice's Avatar
    someplace where the only light is the moon above
    Thanks

Re: Enjoy Reading?

i love reading but im so darn picky the last book
    i read as by jay anson it was called the amity vile horror
    i read the orginal hard back copy that came out on 78 i think
    it was one of the first books i read becuase the deatails were so
    grab you by the shoulder and make you jump kindof thing.

thoug for me the book runs like a movie in my head so im picky
    about what i read becuase my mind just seems to make picutre to go with'
    what i read anyway the last book i read was about 3 months ago it was a good
    one i cant recall the tittle but it was good for the simple reason of its
    discriptive words.
    I'll be the one to protect you from your enemies and all your demons
    I'll be the one to protect you from a will to survive and a voice of reason
    I'll be the one to protect you from your enemies and your choices son
    They're one in the same, I must isolate you...
    Isolate and save you from yourself

Nisou Tenshi Hot Shots Champion, Elroy Learns To Fly Champion, Daves Castle Hunt Champion, Mom-Jongg! Champion, Uncle Sam Champion Priestess Angel may be famous one day Priestess Angel may be famous one day Priestess Angel's Avatar
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by HolderOfTheDarkChalice View Post
    i love reading but im so darn picky the last book
    i read as by jay anson it was called the amity vile horror
    i read the orginal hard back copy that came out on 78 i think
    it was one of the first books i read becuase the deatails were so
    grab you by the shoulder and make you jump kindof thing.

thoug for me the book runs like a movie in my head so im picky
    about what i read becuase my mind just seems to make picutre to go with'
    what i read anyway the last book i read was about 3 months ago it was a good
    one i cant recall the tittle but it was good for the simple reason of its
    discriptive words.
    I know what you mean about being picky. I started really getting into reading when I was ten years old. And it seems as the years progress I become pickier and pickier. I think it’s because the more books I read and the better material I’m able to find the more my standards rise. I have definitely run into those books that I think deserve to be burned with how bad they are and think the editor must have been high on something to even consider publishing it.

I remember reading one book called The Golden Web and it got on my nerves so bad. The author kept starting her sentences with she. At first it didn’t really bother me but as I got farther into the book and she kept with this pattern it really started getting on my nerves. She also dragged the story so that didn’t help matters at all. 500 pages or so of every sentence starting with she. (Shudders at the memory)

Otaku magic soccer Champion, Badger Racing Champion, Penalty Master Champion, Mouse Wars Champion, Poopshoot Champion, RV Cart Dart Champion, Park The Caravan Champion, Radio Rampage Champion, Roman Rumble Champion, Catcho Champion, Planarity Champion, Dead eye puzzle Champion, Jurassic Realm Champion, Schatzgraeber Champion, Quick Brick Champion, Cannonball Follies 3 - Cold Front Champion, Dungeon Hunt Champion Jepray is off to a good start Jepray's Avatar
    Thanks

I'm a book worm at heart. I'ce lost track at how many hundreds of books we have around this place, but i mainly keep to Military sci-fi for book types...sci-fi fan at heart too...i also find an author i like and basicly run down his entire book tree...so i have all the books from David Weber, Dale Brown, David Drake, L.M.Sterling David Sherman, Dan Cragg...so on and so on...i also dive over to Dean Coons novels...but i always have a book at my side...i love the worlds they can portray, the lives taht jump out of the story, it can sometimes play like a movie in my head as i read the book...
    im trying to get my cousins into reading more...they are in grade school...the only problem, besides all their game systems, is the fact that their father, my uncle, doesnt really like reading so of course they dont really read that much neither...its fustrating...i ended up geting them the first two Harry Potter books for Christmas, maybe i can still turn them to the book side...btw loved the Potter books...
    Don't Panic

Nisou Tenshi Hot Shots Champion, Elroy Learns To Fly Champion, Daves Castle Hunt Champion, Mom-Jongg! Champion, Uncle Sam Champion Priestess Angel may be famous one day Priestess Angel may be famous one day Priestess Angel's Avatar
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by blue_rebel View Post
    I speak and write considerably well because I read a lot, and when people ask me what they should do to improve their language skills, my answer is always, "Read."
    I definitely agree with that and I am going off of personal experience. For one, I have a huge vocabulary. Sometimes I'll confuse people when I'm talking to them when I use one of my big words. Then I have to think of a simpler term which is sometimes harder to do then thinking up the supposedly hard word. My mom calls me the human dictionary, too. I remember one day we were messing around and she pulled out this dictionary. She started naming off random words in the dictionary and I knew the meaning to every one of them.

Then there is my reading level. During some of my elementary years and my middle school years, I had to do a program called Accelerated Reader. Basically, they take a huge selection of books and give them all levels depending on difficulty and each one was worth a certain amount of points. Then they would give each student a range of reading levels depending on how good they made on the accelerated reader test. The student would have to achieve a certain amount of points by reading books and taking a test on the books. Depending on how you did on the test determined how many points you got on the book you were testing on.

This is how the reading levels worked

1.0 - 1.9 = First Grade
    2.0 - 2.9 = Second Grade
    3.0 - 3.9 = Third Grade
    4.0 - 4.9 = Fourth Grade . . . and so on

The highest you could get was a 13.0 which basically meant that you could read at college level. My reading level in seventh grade was 6.5 - 13.0. I only met one other person who had a level like mine and she was an avid reader like me.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4