+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Entertain my Hamster

anti-semantics Pub Quiz Champion tsurara may be famous one day tsurara may be famous one day tsurara's Avatar
    Thanks

Entertain my Hamster

I have a 5 month-old Russian Dwarf Hamster named "Tonkichi" (a cutsie way of saying "PorkChop"). He's fat, he's clever, and he's bored. He's been just fine until recently, but after a taste of freedom over Christmas (running around the closed off living room), his cage has become a prison... and he wants OUT!

Every night from dusk till dawn he climbs his half-plastic/half-wire cage to the top and knaws on the metal bars.

I'm worried about the paint that's flaking off AND the damage he could potentially do to his teeth.

He uses his wheel a lot. His sand-bath has become, essentially, a toilet. We've been giving him all kinds of wierd things to eat (including hamster jell-o, carrot cookies, fresh veggies and little dried fish) Cardboard boxes distract him for about 5 hours at a time, while he chews them to teeny tiny bits for the heck of it.

Any ideas to make his caged life more exciting?

Grouchy Old Anime Otaku LenMiyata has become well known LenMiyata has become well known LenMiyata has become well known LenMiyata's Avatar
    Thanks

Re: Entertain my Hamster

Grumble Grumble Grumble

Have you tried one of those 'Hamster Balls' that you can place him in so he can roll around inside and have the run of your apartment. (Works fine as long as you keep the ball away from the staircase...) Maybe what he wants is to exercise outside of his cage and have a change in scenery. And you do have a solid piece of wood for him to gnaw on? (As rodents need the wear and tear to keep their front teeth from growing too long...)
    FAVOURITE THREADS EXPLAIN why, or risk an infraction.
    Rantings of a Grouchy Old Anime Otaku

I'm sleepy... Jukebox Hero Champion, Word Up Champion, Word Craze Champion gren may be famous one day gren may be famous one day gren's Avatar
    Thanks

How about another hamster to share his cage with? Or maybe a mirror, that works with birds.
    Sorry, I don't have any experience with small rodents...I've only had dogs, cats, and for a very short time, sea monkeys...but that didn't end well.
    Last edited by gren; Dec 30, 2007 at 12:49 AM.
    sig by Pyro Psycho

is On Point Abu Dhabi is making a name for themselves Abu Dhabi is making a name for themselves Abu Dhabi's Avatar
    Thanks

huh, well i don't really have good expiriences with hamsters (they have razor teeth that attack kids at Sunday School!... or at least that one did!). so, i'll just think of what to do for a very tiny dog!

um... i dunno if another hamster would help, i think it's end up being two bored hamsters... mostly drawing on that two bored dogs reak more havoc then one bored dog (unless you have one crazy dog~!). but yeah, i see that either closing off the room or a hamster ball is the safest course of freedom you'd like your hamster to take. i don't think they're much in to toys, but more running around and eating and pooping...

a hamster wheel? you never know! very typical, but if i've learned anything from Hamtaro, ham-hams love their wheels!

~jUsT sMiLe~ _gwenibe_ may be famous one day _gwenibe_ may be famous one day _gwenibe_'s Avatar
    Thanks

Never owned hamsters ( apparently it's illegal to own one where I am..) but I did once have two guinea pigs..

I agree with Len on the hamster ball, and with gren with getting him a buddy. Another issue could be the size of the cage the hamsters in.

Perhaps even changing the tank around every now and then. Change where his toys are, put different ones in, hide food around so he can find it for himself.

are hamsters outdoor creatures? maybe creating an outdoor hatch so he can roam a bit on the grass (did that with the guinea pigs). Just make sure it has a lid so they don't get eaten ^_^;; and bring him in at night XD But if your in an apartment..that probably wouldn't work

lol don't know if any of that helped. I've only ever kept guinea pigs and hermit crabs XD my advice comes from a mix of what I do with them

Banned aceman67 has become well known aceman67 has become well known aceman67 has become well known aceman67's Avatar
    Thanks

Give him fresh vegies every now and then like carrots and leaf lettuce.

And like Len said, get a hamster ball.

I had a hamster named Chunky (Ruby-eyed Teddy Bear) and he lived to the ripe old age of 5, and he loved his ball

Legendary Otaku Snake Champion, Zelda Champion, Crazy Koala Champion, Minigolf Champion, Concentrate Champion, Guess 5 Champion, Batting Champ Champion, Beach Ball Control Champion, Bookworm Champion, Wacky Word Wiz Champion, Fight Fight 3 Champion, Spinner's Luck Champion, Traffic Jam Champion, Yeti Pengu Throw Champion Legend is making a name for themselves Legend is making a name for themselves Legend is making a name for themselves Legend's Avatar
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by gren View Post
    How about another hamster to share his cage with? Or maybe a mirror, that works with birds.
    Sorry, I don't have any experience with small rodents...I've only had dogs, cats, and for a very short time, sea monkeys...but that didn't end well.
    No I don't think that works, I remember a relative having two of them once and each getting their own cage but having a tube that connects the two. After a short things got ugly when they started fighting and they ended up closing the tube.

In addition to the hamster ball I would say it would be best if you could add some kind of cloth inside the ball for it to pee on.

'Cause you give me something / That makes me scared, alright / This could be nothing / But I'm willing to give it a try / Please give me something
    'Cause someday I might call you from my heart

Otaku Evol may be famous one day Evol may be famous one day Evol's Avatar
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by LenMiyata View Post
    Grumble Grumble Grumble

Have you tried one of those 'Hamster Balls' that you can place him in so he can roll around inside and have the run of your apartment. (Works fine as long as you keep the ball away from the staircase...) Maybe what he wants is to exercise outside of his cage and have a change in scenery. And you do have a solid piece of wood for him to gnaw on? (As rodents need the wear and tear to keep their front teeth from growing too long...)
    I definitely agree with Len on the block o'wood. you'll think he was a beaver in a past life.

wouldn't recommend the hamster ball, poopy gets all up in the ventilation.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast