+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Erikson's Eight Stages

Banned The White Wolf is off to a good start
    Thanks

Erikson's Eight Stages

Erik Erikson, a pioneer in psychology, has described how people become who they are. His theory divides the human life span into eight stages. Each stage presents different developmental tasks. One must successfully comlete earlier tasks before moving on to later ones.

Erikson's Eight Stages of Life:
    1. Infancy (0 to 1) To learn Trust. The infant learns that needs will be met. (If neglected or abused, the person learns distrust that can last a lifetime.)
    2. Toddler stage (1 to 2) To learn independence. The toddler learns self-will. (If thwarted in this development, the adult may remain dependant and feel inadequate.)
    3. Preschool age (3 to 5) To learn initiative (the ability to think and act without being told to do so). The child explores with curiosity and imagination. (If discouraged in this development, the adult may avoid leadership and risks.)
    4. School age (6 to 12) To develop industriousness (earnest, steady effort.) The child has confidence to pursue self-chosen goals. (If this development fails, the adult will lack social confidence and will perform poorly.)
    5. Adolescence (13 to 20) To develop an identity. The teenager develops a strong sense of self, goals, and timing and becomes busy learning how to fit into the social circle--as leader, follower, female, male. The adolescent picks out role models and grows with confidence. (The failure of this development produces a confused perosn without a secure sense of direction.)
    6. Young adulthood (21 to 40) To develop intimacy (close, personal relationships). The young adult can commit to love, work, and to a social group. (Failure leads to avoidance of intimacy, misuse of sexuality, isolation and destructiveness.)
    7. Adulthood (41 to 60) To develop generativity (giving yourself and your talents to others.) The mature adult moves through life with confidence, taking pride in accomplishments. (The negative side of this is stagnition, self-involvement, and failure to encourage others.)
    8. Older adulthood (61 and older) To retain ego integrity (satisfaction with life.) The person feels fulfilled and faces death with serenity. (The adult who has not moved positively through earlier stages experiences isolation, despair, and fears of death.)
    Do you agree with this? Where do you stand in Erikson's theory? Were you surprised when you found out? Does this make sense to you? Questions I would love for you to answer and discuss with your fellow AO'ers!

Information located from my lifemanagement skills classroom book, HEALTH: Making Life Choices (Second Edition)

Learn, live, laugh, GROW 5 Card Draw Champion, Bubble Trouble Champion, Connect 4 Champion, Long Jump Champion, Collapse Champion, BALLZ! Champion, Rotamania Champion, Rotations Champion, Hishi Champion, Domino Pressure Champion, Fun_game1 Champion, Road Blocks Champion, Puzzle Maniax Champion, Cloud Breakout Champion lebasiara may be famous one day lebasiara's Avatar
    Thanks

Talking Re: Erikson's Eight Stages

Quote Originally Posted by The White Wolf View Post
    Erik Erikson, a pioneer in psychology, has described how people become who they are. His theory divides the human life span into eight stages. Each stage presents different developmental tasks. One must successfully comlete earlier tasks before moving on to later ones.

Do you agree with this? Where do you stand in Erikson's theory? Were you surprised when you found out? Does this make sense to you? Questions I would love for you to answer and discuss with your fellow AO'ers!

Information located from my lifemanagement skills classroom book, HEALTH: Making Life Choices (Second Edition)
    Well, actually it seems like the law of the life and also he studied ppl to do that. For myself I am not surprised cos in certain ways that has happen to me thrughout my life. I am not yet on the old ppl things but i know later on I'll be.
    Nothing less from Pyro ^_^ Great Sig ^_^ THANK YOU!!!!
    C:\Documents and Settings\MARA\My Documents\My Pictures\Anime room\sigs\music_sig1 mia ^_^.jpg
    "show me.... THE BEAST!!!" The Beauty and the Beast movie

Thanks

Re: Erikson's Eight Stages

Yes, later on we'll all be there at one time or another.. I wasn't surprised as to my position either. I was surprised at my mother's place in his theory though. She's a young adult! O.O Lol..when I told her that she was very happy! I must say I agree with this theory. It makes much sense to me..as opposed to some other theories out there..

Ecchi Enthusiast Classic Donkey Kong Champion, Balloon Bomber Champion, Fishing Impossible Champion, Festival Of History : Archery Champion, Dare Devil Champion, Little Monkey Does Champion, Dragon Champion, Barty Champion, Cheesy Champion, Chicken Attack Champion, Moo Lander Champion, Hang Stan Champion, Hangaroo Champion, Sentenced Champion, Canadair Champion Miroku4444 may be famous one day Miroku4444 may be famous one day Miroku4444's Avatar
    Thanks

I think the theory make a lot of sense. I disagree with the age ranges, it should be more like this:

Erikson's Eight Stages of Life:

1. Infancy (0 to 1) To learn Trust. The infant learns that needs will be met. (If neglected or abused, the person learns distrust that can last a lifetime.)
    2. Toddler stage (1 to 2) To learn independence. The toddler learns self-will. (If thwarted in this development, the adult may remain dependant and feel inadequate.)
    3. Preschool age (3 to 5) To learn initiative (the ability to think and act without being told to do so). The child explores with curiosity and imagination. (If discouraged in this development, the adult may avoid leadership and risks.)
    4. School age (6 to 12) To develop industriousness (earnest, steady effort.) The child has confidence to pursue self-chosen goals. (If this development fails, the adult will lack social confidence and will perform poorly.)
    5. Adolescence (13 to 17) To develop an identity. The teenager develops a strong sense of self, goals, and timing and becomes busy learning how to fit into the social circle--as leader, follower, female, male. The adolescent picks out role models and grows with confidence. (The failure of this development produces a confused perosn without a secure sense of direction.)
    6. Young adulthood (18 to 30) To develop intimacy (close, personal relationships). The young adult can commit to love, work, and to a social group. (Failure leads to avoidance of intimacy, misuse of sexuality, isolation and destructiveness.)
    7. Adulthood (31 to 50) To develop generatively (giving yourself and your talents to others.) The mature adult moves through life with confidence, taking pride in accomplishments. (The negative side of this is stagnation, self-involvement, and failure to encourage others.)
    8. Older adulthood (51 and older) To retain ego integrity (satisfaction with life.) The person feels fulfilled and faces death with serenity. (The adult who has not moved positively through earlier stages experiences isolation, despair, and fears of death.)

Thanks

Miro-san, you think 51+ would be older alduthood??!! O_____O May I get a reason as to why??!! I think people in their fifties are still young, as do many others I know! >.< If that was the case, we'd be old before we can ever get our life straightened out!

Ecchi Enthusiast Classic Donkey Kong Champion, Balloon Bomber Champion, Fishing Impossible Champion, Festival Of History : Archery Champion, Dare Devil Champion, Little Monkey Does Champion, Dragon Champion, Barty Champion, Cheesy Champion, Chicken Attack Champion, Moo Lander Champion, Hang Stan Champion, Hangaroo Champion, Sentenced Champion, Canadair Champion Miroku4444 may be famous one day Miroku4444 may be famous one day Miroku4444's Avatar
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by The White Wolf View Post
    Miro-san, you think 51+ would be older adulthood??!! O_____O May I get a reason as to why??!! I think people in their fifties are still young, as do many others I know! >.< If that was the case, we'd be old before we can ever get our life straightened out!
    Well maybe i was a little low on that, just i feel old at 37. I think ill feel dead in my 50's.

Thanks

>.< Oiy don't say that!! Fifties is where it all starts! The adventure, everything!! =________= lighten up on your age, Miro-chan!! It's all good. You are very young! You are a young adult! It says so in Erikson's stages!

Otaku gigi2005 may be famous one day gigi2005 may be famous one day
    Thanks

I disagree whit the Eight stages i think there are Nine stages, there is also a stage between 17 and 25.
    I this age group ppl get more resposible and really get there own idee about how to live there live, i am in this age group and i changed alot i finaly found a gole in live i study alot more than i used to and i am planing on living on my own.

Miroku you may call yourself old but 37 isnt old, your only as old as you feel you are.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast