+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: Erikson's Eight Stages

Banned The White Wolf is off to a good start
    Thanks

Re: Erikson's Eight Stages

Quote Originally Posted by gigi2005
    I disagree whit the Eight stages i think there are Nine stages, there is also a stage between 17 and 25.
    I this age group ppl get more resposible and really get there own idee about how to live there live, i am in this age group and i changed alot i finaly found a gole in live i study alot more than i used to and i am planing on living on my own.

Miroku you may call yourself old but 37 isnt old, your only as old as you feel you are.
    Adolescence (13 to 20) To develop an identity. The teenager develops a strong sense of self, goals, and timing and becomes busy learning how to fit into the social circle--as leader, follower, female, male. The adolescent picks out role models and grows with confidence.
    Young adulthood (21 to 40) To develop intimacy (close, personal relationships). The young adult can commit to love, work, and to a social group.
    I believe that explains what you are talking about. You said you were in the age group of finding yourself - becoming more responsible, and developing confidence; wanting to live on your own. I suppose it is a mesh between the two groups, which is fine. Nice theory though, gigi2005.

Jigoku Shoujo Dangerous Dave Part 1 : Mole Surfing Champion Descended From Darkness may be famous one day Descended From Darkness may be famous one day Descended From Darkness's Avatar
    Thanks

I agree with the eight stages...Though Adolesensce and Young Adulthood are kinda mixed up. I think Adolesence is 10-13 and young Adulthood is from 14-25? The reason I said that about young adulthood is because right when you enter high school the teachers(or at least my teachers) consider you(us) as young adults.

Banned The White Wolf is off to a good start
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Descended From Darkness View Post
    I agree with the eight stages...Though Adolesensce and Young Adulthood are kinda mixed up. I think Adolesence is 10-13 and young Adulthood is from 14-25? The reason I said that about young adulthood is because right when you enter high school the teachers(or at least my teachers) consider you(us) as young adults.
    Young adulthood (21 to 40) To develop intimacy (close, personal relationships). The young adult can commit to love, work, and to a social group. (Failure leads to avoidance of intimacy, misuse of sexuality, isolation and destructiveness.)
    lol, so you're saying that fourteen year olds should start developing intimacy with others? ^ ^;; I don't think that would be wise. To change the stage of young adulthood to start at such a young age. Many people are disagreeing with the ages in his theory. I wonder why. I for one agree with it. I fit into the stage that I'm currently in, my mom fits into the stage that she is currently in, and my younger siblings fit into the stages that they are currently in. To me, it makes perfect sense. Miro-chan wanted to make it go faster. Meaning Older Adults would be very young ^ ^;. Others are saying such a thing as well. Hmm, well I do no agree with making the ages younger. Especially that of young adults and adolescence.

Otaku Chubz may be famous one day Chubz may be famous one day Chubz's Avatar
    Thanks

I think Erikson's right in the sense of those are things we learn over a life-time, but I don't really agree with setting up those learning experiences into different stages. By doing so, he is technically limiting human capabilities in to being time-line and age dependant. His list only makes sense if done in a controlled environment (as development within people varies greatly under different conditions), so it has no real practical use unless applied in only one context.

Even then if applied to a certain environment, you need to take into account the different experiences that happen over one's life, which could slow or quicken the social development of an individual.

His stages require a controlled environment to work, so for practicallity they are somewhat useless. The only thing that can be applied over-all is the different things we learn or don't learn in life, but those aren't anything new in scholarship. (Not sure when Dr. Erikson wrote his stuff, which would give insight into his ideas and methods).

Many Thanks To SasuraiHell For The Sig!

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2