+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Essentials in Life

Warrior Monk kedar may be famous one day kedar may be famous one day kedar's Avatar
    Thanks

Essentials in Life

Dear members of AO,

I ask of your consideration:

Excluding the fundamental necessities of life (like food, water, clothing, shelter, money, i.e. things that are elementary for one's survival), what's that certain something you consider important to have/experience in one's lifetime?! Please do explain why you regard that something as essential/significant. Examples: Spirituality, parenthood, fame, Animal/human companionship, appreciation of art, et cetera.

It's like this: Say you are on a road and a traveler (who has everything he/she needs to support his/her life, except he/she is empty of everything else) approaches you, requesting you to exercise your wisdom and reveal something he/she shouldn’t miss out on in life. Offer your reasons to him.

So… I the traveler, you the guru.

Instruct me.

super effective Last Man Standing Champion FLawEdmiNd may be famous one day FLawEdmiNd may be famous one day FLawEdmiNd's Avatar
    Thanks

Re: Essentials in Life

I'd like to point out the obvious by saying that the answer varies across cultures and age groups, also by morals and all that other fun stuff.

For me, the one thing I need in my life is other people, hopefully people that I know or are at least familiar with, however, anyone will do. I'm paranoid over too many things to handle life alone and I would imagine that all the laughs would be hollow without someone else there too.

And also for obvious reason That's another thing I would rather die than live without.
    the love you withhold is the pain you carry.

Strange Times Dark. is making a name for themselves Dark. is making a name for themselves Dark.'s Avatar
    Thanks

Following behind Flawedmind, I'd say socialization is a very important essential for life. Have good, close friends, stay in touch with your family throughout life, and have a wife or companion, someone to continue your bloodline after death. To live this life alone is one of the worse tragedies a person can suffer.

Your health as they say is very important, as the saying goes if you have nothing else, at least have your health. I'm not just talking about the survival condition, I mean in good health, physically and mentally. You want to be in a condition where your quality of life can be at its full potential.

The only other essential I think you'd need to have true life, is a personal purpose. Life goals whether they be made in the name of money, God, happiness, whatever, everyone needs a goal in this life if they truly want to live. To just float around till death can lead one to thoughts of worthlessness and suicide. But to lead a life with purpose is to lead a life you truly live.

Those three things in that order, I would say are the three essentials of life. Everything else is fluff to keep you entertained.

My Entity Is Unknown anime_being_god is making a name for themselves anime_being_god is making a name for themselves anime_being_god's Avatar
    Thanks

I think this is a very general topic in which could easily differ from individual to individual--that being said some of Life's Essentials for me would be things such as ; Making my Parents proud of those things which I've done, attaining a college degree (first in my family ) and living a Healthy life, one that allows me to see my grand children...

I believe that having good character and learning the art of leadership and integrity is important for anyone

1st Sig finished 12-20-09

Banned beast may be famous one day beast may be famous one day beast's Avatar
    Thanks

Well first I would tell him that while being in itinerant is awsome in many ways, and to never short change the many things he will see, I would say that you need people. Now granted one of my idols is Miyamoto Musashi, even he had close ties to other people. In a time where stocks are falling the oly resource that has stayed growing are people. And they are always a worthy investment.

Another thing I would suggest everyone to experience and I know that this will get me a lot of flack from people and possibly a post deletion I would put sex somewhere on my list of things not to miss out on in life. I really can't explain anything else about it, because if you have not had it (and that is okay don't be in reckless haste) it is nearly impossible to explain and for those of you who have you already know why I put it on my list.

Warrior Monk kedar may be famous one day kedar may be famous one day kedar's Avatar
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by FLawEdmiNd View Post
    I'd like to point out the obvious by saying that the answer varies across cultures and age groups, also by morals and all that other fun stuff.
    You are right, FLawEdmiNd.
    Since that adds variety to the responses, I welcome it.
    Thanks to all of you for sharing your thoughts. Nice point you made about having a personal purpose, Dark.

I will swap roles now and answer my question. My opinion follows:

I believe making sincere attempts to understand and experience one's true inner self is essential in life. Self-discovery, self-realization, whatever you want to call it... It goes hand-in-hand with introspection. What's this "self" I am referring to? Ego, soul, spirit, or nothingness? I'm going to leave it by saying it's the essence of one's being, not that it simplifies or clarifies matters any. Why do I regard this as important? In our efforts to understand others, knowledge of self comes as valuable and is imperative. It's also my conviction that realization of self leads to inner peace and harmony. As we grow in understanding ourselves, realizing that there is more to us than our external guise, we will come to accept and respect ourselves and others more.

Then again, understanding is one thing, while practicing it in daily life is something else.

Messenger of Despair Hive Hero Champion dark angel swordsman may be famous one day dark angel swordsman may be famous one day dark angel swordsman's Avatar
    Thanks

Hmm, well after considering a good few minutes, I've come up with an idea.
    As Dark. said at the very end of his statement, there's the fluff that keeps you entertained. I now, am thinking that something to 'entertain' you, or rather keep you interested for a good amount of one's life.
    Whether this means a good job, spouse, activity, etc I cannot tell as it probably varies over different people.
    ButI think without this essential, people can't feel a true sense of good or happy or fullness or what-have-you.

And err...that's my answer. ^_^;
    (Nice to see you again, Kedar!).
    http://www.animeonline.net/image.php?type=sigpic&userid=7987&dateline=1181515  689
    I won't let this world exist without me! If I die, we all die! / Avatar & Signature by anime_8000.

Otaku clover may be famous one day clover may be famous one day clover's Avatar
    Thanks

traveling is a big must for me, whats the point to life if you dont get out and see the world for what it really is and is for now, especially with polar caps diassappearing quickly and taking some of that wonder away.

friends and family of course, my husband, and books....thats all for me,
    though itll vairy from person to person, its always good to take in someones words, and weigh them in and see if thats something you want in your life or not

..........nothing is true, everything is permitted..........

9. The Following User Says Thank You to clover For This Useful Post:

!beast (Dec 22, 2009)

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast