+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Are fast food places getting too greedy?

Otaku Brandon Grave Heat is off to a good start
    Thanks

Question Are fast food places getting too greedy?

The cheapskate diet: KFC sells chicken for a penny a calorie
    KFC, the erstwhile Kentucky Fried Chicken, has introduced a special meal promotion with a novel pricing twist: It costs 1 cent a calorie.

The 395-calorie Kentucky Grilled Chicken meal comes with a drumstick and thigh, green beans, mashed potatoes, and gravy. For that square meal, customers pay $3.95.

KFC's grilled chicken, by the way, is the same stuff that the 15,000-store chain was pushing when it served up its botched free chicken giveaway earlier this year.

It's funny that major fast food chains have battled local authorities tooth and nail so they don't have to post calorie information in a conspicuous place (a battle lost in New York City last year), but KFC has chosen to launch a promotion that actually depends on getting the number out there.

KFC might also have just stumbled on one of the only ways to get Americans back into shape: connect dollars with calories.

Countless American communities don't have access to affordable fresh foods anymore, and they depend on fast food restaurants (and their mostly empty calories) to feed themselves and their families. We're paying low-grade prices for food with sky-high junk calorie counts, yet healthy food with low calories can cost more, which scares some people away from eating well.

It'll never happen, but can you imagine the diet transformations that would occur if calories and dollars were connected the way megabytes and dollars are, or the way gas volume and dollars are? People would start paying more attention to what they're putting into their bodies then.

Suddenly, sausage McGriddles at McDonald's would cost $5.60. An original-sized Peanut Butter Moo'd at Jamba Juice would cost $7.70. Red Lobster, on the other hand, would become a relative bargain, and a full Lobster and Shrimp combo would cost $10.20 there.

The real question is whether Americans who are used to fried, calorie-laden food will be sated after spending just $3.95 for a 400-calorie meal?

Keep an eye on the service counters at KFC, and you'll probably see plenty of people taking advantage of the low-cost promotion -- by ordering two.
    Source

The cheapskate diet: KFC sells chicken for a penny a calorie

What do you think?

super effective Last Man Standing Champion FLawEdmiNd may be famous one day FLawEdmiNd may be famous one day FLawEdmiNd's Avatar
    Thanks

Re: are fast food place getting too greedy?

Well, I can't tell you anything about KFC, or the price changes across borders for that matter..

I can however, give a few words about McDonald's. I worked there for almost two years but I quit when they moved locations.. in any case, the prices are very reasonable for what you get.

With the Angus as an exception, that thing is a hunk of tasteless beef and it costs around three dollars just to add some gross cheese. The more moderately priced things, the value menu in particular, have a balanced price.

The entire time I worked there I saw only once price change, it was 15 cents, some of the items weren't even subject to the change.

I know fast food in large quantities is bad for you and the some McDonald's don't hold up to policy but I can mosly say that it's a good establishment. One time a McDonald's in B.C. got a bad batch of tomatoes and all the McDonald's across Canada stopped putting tomatoes on all burgers until clean veggies were hauled over.

Next time you go to McDonald's ask them for an All-Canadian meal, see if they know what it is.
    the love you withhold is the pain you carry.

Femmebot Rehab Colt Crouse Champion, Bookworm Champion, Hangman Champion, Connect 2 Champion Peach_follows has become well known Peach_follows has become well known Peach_follows has become well known Peach_follows's Avatar
    Thanks

My goodness.... tack a soda on to that, at a penny a calorie. Its either gonna be much more... or free (if you're smart enough to settle for the aspartame (or splenda). But that's never gonna happen I bet. no one would pay a penny per calorie for pop.

I suppose its not a half bad concept. I just have my doubts as to whether it'd be successful. I always think Im eating healthy when I get a McDonalds salad, (until I get an understanding of the salads calorie count.) I always feel so proud too, then I pull up, and there's always a special with something cheaper, that is more so (or equally) unhealthy. McDoubles are only 99 cents/

I mean... if there was something on the KFC menu that is cheaper. And that taste great and had more juicy fat. I bet it will get sold more than anything else, whether its a penny per calorie or not.

If anything... what might make -this- sell... is KFC's lack of other inexpensive options.

But again, as I agree with FlawEdmiNd.. why not just go to McDonalds (between the hours of 4am and 11pm.... stupid late night menu)
    ... Not Ever Again...

Banned beast may be famous one day beast may be famous one day beast's Avatar
    Thanks

Being an intense soda drinker I hope it never comes to that and I really hope it doesn't come to that with alcohol.

Zev
    SuperModZilla Zev is making a name for themselves Zev is making a name for themselves Zev's Avatar
    Thanks

I think it was good marketing for fast food restaurant, many consumers are trying to make an effort to eat healthier these days. Of course nothing that comes from fast food chain is never too healthy no matter what they try to say. I don't think they are being greedy, whenever I saw the commercial, I thought it was good idea. I wouldn't eat it though, it don't look too good. Guess I'm not a big fan of grilled chicken, I like the crispy stuff.

Signature is a Gwenibe original.

Otaku Artistic Anarchy is off to a good start Artistic Anarchy's Avatar
    Thanks

Speaking of fast-food I just heard pharmacies are having a sale on Lipitor and Avodart!

A calorie a penny, okay. These people don't care what the price is as long they can get their fix of Big Macs and salt-drenched fries.

Newbie Eternal Rain107 is off to a good start Eternal Rain107's Avatar
    Thanks

Actually, the interesting part about fast food is that they place stuff in it to make you come back. So those odd cravings you might have around 9:00PM or so... lol Of course THIS is just a rumor, but i wouldn't doubt it if that rumor was true. It is a way to get people to come back.

Otaku Artistic Anarchy is off to a good start Artistic Anarchy's Avatar
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Eternal Rain107 View Post
    Actually, the interesting part about fast food is that they place stuff in it to make you come back. So those odd cravings you might have around 9:00PM or so... lol Of course THIS is just a rumor, but i wouldn't doubt it if that rumor was true. It is a way to get people to come back.
    The thing they put in the food is large heaping spoonfulls of salt and glucose. It's all comfort food and that's why people constantly come back, Billions served and fooled.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast