+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Finding Faith

Otaku Luminous is off to a good start
    Thanks

Re: Finding Faith

I'm definately of the thought that you don't need to have faith to be happy. Not having faith has actually made me happier. I get a sort of free feeling from it, it's kind of hard to explain, that, or I'm too lazy to. Hmm..maybe both!

Anyways, I don't think there is any one way to aquire faith, I guess its sort of a personal thing that will vary from person to person. I could venture a guess and say you probably won't aquire it through looking for it, but rather, an experience that does so will probably come to you.

But no, faith isn't required for happyness or a sense of fulfillment. It may very well be for some people the thing that makes them feel that extra something, but a requirement, it isn't.

God's Little Girl blue_rebel may be famous one day blue_rebel may be famous one day blue_rebel's Avatar
    Thanks

Let's clarify things first. I am assuming that by "faith", you mean "religion", or some kind of religious cult following, at the very least. Not just any old
    strong belief.

I don't know how one "acquires" faith. You just have faith. You believe. I mean, it's like sitting on a chair without thinking about how stable it is. It's an
    analogy a lot of people use, so it's become kind of clichéd, but it does accurately describe what faith is like. You don't think twice, you just believe and
    know. As a Christian, I must say having "faith in God" is really a hard thing to do, because if I had faith the size of a mustard seed I would be moving
    mountains and doing a lot of really amazing things. But because I'm not, it's obvious I don't really have that much faith at all. I wish I did, but getting
    there is a HUGE struggle. And though some agnostics and atheists tell me, in response, that there is no point if professing a certain faith is so difficult,
    I tell them right back that it is because it is so difficult that it is all the more worthwhile taking part in the struggle.

You know how after working really hard on a tough Calculus problem you finally work out the answer? That feeling of having achieved something great..
    I get that feeling every time I say a little prayer and it seems like it's been answered. (i.e. when I pray for guidance on a midterm, and God answers by
    putting my mind at ease; or when I ask Him to help me look for something I've lost, and He answers by helping me jog my memory) I reckon that the
    day I really DO manage to muster faith the size of a mustard seed or bigger, that feeling will be multiplied tenfold, a hundredfold, maybe even more.

And that, I suppose, brings us to the question about needing faith to be happy. I suppose it is possible to be "happy" without professing faith in something,
    but I feel that that happiness is kind of superficial. When you have faith in something, and that something comes true, then the whole world will suddenly
    seem right to you. Because what matters is what you have faith in, yes? If you don't believe in something, why should it matter what becomes of it? And
    so because I have faith in my religion, with every passing day a little facet of it is revealed to me, I am happy. When a prayer is answered, I am happy.
    When someone comes to Christ, I am happy. In a sense, your faith becomes something like a basis for you to feel not necessarily "happy", per se, but
    "fulfilled"... do you see what I mean?

Newbie Echo is off to a good start
    Thanks

Well you all have definitely given me alot to think about.
    I am glad I got so many different opinions, and have really taken to heart what you all have said. Maybe I don't need faith and maybe I do...I suppose I'll find out when the time comes and until then I will focus on other important things in my life that need attending to.
    I think that's really all any of us can do when we are faced with something such as this. I think this is one of those things that has to come to you. Then again I could be wrong, but either way I am not going to stop searching until I find peace.
    http://i207.photobucket.com/albums/bb19/OfeliasFire/BlueProxy-1024_768-1.jpg
    "I'm a young soul in this very strange world hoping to learn a bit bout' what is true and fake"

Otaku Cruisin with crush Champion, Animal Rescue Champion abby724 is off to a good start abby724's Avatar
    Thanks

Ah, what a nice topic... Faith... Does anyone really need faith [in a religious sense] to be happy? It seems to me it truly depends on who we're talking about. I, for example, don't need faith to be happy, possibly because my way of thinking is carefree, or hedonistic in a few other people's eyes. What is my way of thinking? "It doesn't matter to me if there's some bug guy watching us or not, because I only want to enjoy life." But if you're one who absolutely needs to know whether there's a divine reason for your life or not, faith may be the key to achieving happiness.

How do you acquire faith? You only need something or someone to convince you there's a higher being up there. That's also how people become athiests; they become convinced that there aren't any higher beings existing. To keep faith, don't ask questions. Just believe. Suppress your urge to knowledge. I'm not saying those who are inquisitive can't be faithful, but it's probably a heck of alot harder to believe something when you're curious about things that contradict your beliefs. And this (keeping faith) is even more difficult when those things have actually convinced others to hold opposite thoughts...
    GALERIE : Limited Internet access for certain reasons...

is On Point Abu Dhabi is making a name for themselves Abu Dhabi is making a name for themselves Abu Dhabi's Avatar
    Thanks

^_^ i think questions can make your faith stronger, even the contreversial ones...

it all depends on how you see things, people for ages have questioned God and have come out on both sides (He is there, He is not there). so all that it really comes down to is what you choose to see and what you choose to answer. faith doesn't come blind necessarily, it comes from your heart... your heart has no eyes, yet it can see some thing very clearly... this is what makes faith and belief so hard and so different! to belive the air is there is easy, but to have faith that it will protect you from the fire is very different!

Mage of Eternity Joe Mage is making a name for themselves Joe Mage is making a name for themselves Joe Mage's Avatar
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Echo View Post
    Well you all have definitely given me alot to think about.
    I am glad I got so many different opinions, and have really taken to heart what you all have said. Maybe I don't need faith and maybe I do...I suppose I'll find out when the time comes and until then I will focus on other important things in my life that need attending to.
    I think that's really all any of us can do when we are faced with something such as this. I think this is one of those things that has to come to you. Then again I could be wrong, but either way I am not going to stop searching until I find peace.
    U will know ur own answers when the time comes and not 'fore then, jus' have patience. Don' be afraid ta question any answers that u may find either, in by questionin' the answers u learn more. Some ppl have a tendency ta stop when they find only one answer. But, for me at least, I've found that there could b many answers ta one question and ta find all of those answers sometimes u must question the answers themselves. I continue ta challenge my knowledge and experience in an effort ta understand more. The same can be said of faith, even we must question it sometimes; regardless of whether or not we believe; in order ta better understand it. I hope that, one day, u find ur answers and that they will b the ones that satisfy u.

Sanity doesn't exist, it's just an excuse cooked up by crazy people to justify their actions. My myspace page: www.myspace.com/joemage

Lady Barronmore Arrianna has become well known Arrianna has become well known Arrianna has become well known Arrianna's Avatar
    Thanks

My main questions are: how do you acquire faith and how do you keep it when you do obtain it? Can one person be more faithful than another? Do you really need faith to be happy?
    either way I am not going to stop searching until I find peace.
    Always a worthy goal.

I wandered by and found your thread in a free moment and it struck a cord with me. You certainly have received a variety of answers and opinions, always valuable. As someone who once sought to understand faith, and will probably spend my entire life learning the depth and breadth of it, I thought maybe I could share a little of what I have learned.

The first thing that has helped me is the understanding of what faith is. There are many definitions of faith but when it comes to a higher power faith is belief that results in action. Think of it as believing a jet plane can fly (theoretically now). You don't understand the math, you know others who have been on planes, but you never have and haven't seen one. So in order to get on a plane without fear you have to believe others who have done it and believe that the engineers who built it knew what they were doing. You're choices are; to not trust those who built the plane or have ridden in it safely and not go, believe them but don't go anyway because it may not work for you, to believe and trust them and get on the plane and find out if it can fly for yourself. These are Unbelief, Belief, and Faith respectively.

The second part of faith is that it can only be tested by using it. It is possible to believe in something that isn't true. If you always sit on the ground and refuse to get on the "plane" then you never test it to see if it is true. But what if you get on the "plane" and it crashes? Well then you have tested it and found it to be false. All our "planes" have to be tested for truth or there is no faith, only belief or unbelief.

That brings us to your main question of how do you acquire faith. Well, the answer is very simple but very hard at the same time. It's not unlike the scientific method in fact and likewise requires action. To start with all you need is a desire to know, then act on it. Do you want to know if there is a way of life to live? Do it. By living it, by testing it, you will discover if it is right or wrong. Actions then results. Compare the results with what you want or what you have been told will happen. If you find the results to be good then continue. If they aren't then don't. As we test beliefs and find them to be good and true then our belief in them grows, our faith grows. It is through this continual testing and growth that we keep our faith. It is when we stop testing, stop living it, stop being active in our belief that we lose our faith. That is the hard part, to have faith you can't just believe or just want to believe you have to do and keep doing.

Now you want peace and happiness? May I suggest looking for those who have the peace and happiness you want then ask them how they found it, then have sufficient desire to find out for yourself by applying it in your own life. Belief in those who have experienced it before, in the higher power you already believe in, leading you to action to try for yourself. By their "fruits" you will know them and with your own "fruits" you will discover for yourself the truth of the belief, find your own faith.

... and it really is something that you have to find for yourself, everyone does.

Peace.

l Stone Hold l Now We're Cooking! l Thanks to Kaos for the awesome sig!

Devoted Otaku Spike'sRose may be famous one day Spike'sRose may be famous one day Spike'sRose's Avatar
    Thanks

I agree with what Arrianna had to say~
    That's how I was able to center myself - I asked people how they were so carefree. ^_^ Through their stories, Iwas able to clear my own path to happiness.

Well, Echo, you got a lot of great feedback here. It's an interesting question you posted... because honestly, I don't think a lot of people think about it!

I do feel that some kind of faith will help us in the long run... I've had periods in my life were I really just lost faith... In my family and everyone around me... In myself... And it was very painful - A difficult struggle that didn't need to be so hard...
    In those times, I felt as though I didn't anyone or anything to turn to. Sure, I may have had family and friends... but they couldn't be there constantly! I had ways to escape mentally... But that was just running from it...
    I needed something a bit deeper. I didn't find it through religious means. I found it within my own heart... By looking at myself in the mirror and seeking out what was really inside me. We all have that strength within us. ^_^
    But looking into oneself is really difficult. Some people can't stand to look past their flaws and into the good.
    I found any flaws I have are the good... I am my ownstrength and faith~That may not work for everyone... It just seemed right.

So my advice is to indeed keep searching for it. Because when you find it, not matter what your faith is - Whether it be religious or not - You will know deep down in your gut. You will truly feelit.... And I know you will find what you are seeking. ^_^

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast