+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Fish Tank

anti-semantics Pub Quiz Champion tsurara may be famous one day tsurara may be famous one day tsurara's Avatar
    Thanks

Fish Tank

I'm experimenting with live plants in a 10 gallon with 10 neon tetras and a gigantic pleco that I can't seem to kill (he has survived 2 different tank die-offs in 2 years).

I've set up the tank near a window and planted it with two small plants for now... there is a decent-sized filter and (since the last fish tank travestry was temp-related) a water-heater.

The tetras (a new addition today) seem ridiculously happy... but the tank is rather empty-looking.

my questions:

fishies -
    -Can I add a few more fish? Or are there already enough for this size tank? (I hear 1 per gallon... but tets are ~tiny~)
    -If so, what will get allong with the tetras?

plants -
    -Do I need a CO2 system? (if so, will it affect the PH of the tank?)
    -Will the light from the window be enough to support the plants or should I invest in a sun-lamp for them?
    -Is gravel enough for a substrate?
    -Should I remove the filter? (ie... will the plants gunk it up?)

inverts -
    -I'm thinking of adding some small shrimp to clean the plants, will they eat the tetras?
    -are snails a good idea? (or will they multiple like crazy and take over the tank?)

Ecchi Enthusiast Classic Donkey Kong Champion, Balloon Bomber Champion, Fishing Impossible Champion, Festival Of History : Archery Champion, Dare Devil Champion, Little Monkey Does Champion, Dragon Champion, Barty Champion, Cheesy Champion, Chicken Attack Champion, Moo Lander Champion, Hang Stan Champion, Hangaroo Champion, Sentenced Champion, Canadair Champion Miroku4444 may be famous one day Miroku4444 may be famous one day Miroku4444's Avatar
    Thanks

Re: Fish Tank

Ive had a fish tank for over 15 years, so i might be able to answer some of them.

Fishies -
    Im sorry to say it seems that you are already well over the fish limit of the tank. The 10 neons are ok, but with that pleco(Do you mean Plecostomus?) its to many. Ive had my tank taken over by one. He may eat the algae and crap, but he sure secretes waste alot. I finally had to turn the 14-inch baby in to the local fish store. ID wait till some die to get more fish or get a smaller Plecostomus.

Yes you do have to be carefully as to what fish you add as some seem to love little tetras. If you stick with more tetras of a different kind you should be ok. I don't think they eat or attack there own species.

Plants -
    -Do I need a CO2 system? (if so, will it affect the PH of the tank?)
    Never got into plants that much to know what that is.

The light should be enough from your window, but you can get special florescence bulbs that replicate natural sunlight. Though you dont want too much light as your tank will be overcome with algae. If the plants look healthy id just stick with the light form your window.

"Is gravel enough for a substrate"?
    Im not really sure what the hell a substrate is, but the plants i bought never really needed anything but a good anchor to keep them at the bottom. I gave up on plants because my Plecostomus kept devouring them.

Yeah when i had plants i had trouble with it blocking the filter suction, but thats the bad side of having plants. If you remove the filter your water will get polluted by ammonia and harmful amount of waste in the water. Either put up with filter maintenance or get rid of the plants.

Inverts -

Never really had shrimp so i don't know about this one. Just call the local fish store, they should know.

Ive had snails a few times, with little success. I didnt have trouble with them multiplying as the Plecostomus seem to eat the babies. They just never really lasted that long. I think their real PH or hard water picky.

Grouchy Old Anime Otaku LenMiyata has become well known LenMiyata has become well known LenMiyata has become well known LenMiyata's Avatar
    Thanks

Grumble Grumble Grumble

Now if the plants your adding are actually rooted water plants, (instead of floating water plants) you need to plant them in a small clay pot with potting soil, (and do this in a separate tub and wait until the tannins an silt settle out), then bury the potted water plant pot in the gravel.

The biggest issue with long term aquarium upkeep is the build up of fish urine in the water (and no, the plants won't grow fast enough to remove this...) So you either have to cycle the water in the tank (remove a inch every month(?) and replace with fresh water) or install a air pump powered fish urine remover to the side of the tank... Under-gravel filters are said to be effective on breaking down the fish urine, (as they encourage the growth of bacteria in the gravel that can do this job), but you risk a catastrophic loss of Oxygen if your air pump fails with a under-gravel filter...

And yes, water snails will multiply like crazy...
    FAVOURITE THREADS EXPLAIN why, or risk an infraction.
    Rantings of a Grouchy Old Anime Otaku

Ecchi Enthusiast Classic Donkey Kong Champion, Balloon Bomber Champion, Fishing Impossible Champion, Festival Of History : Archery Champion, Dare Devil Champion, Little Monkey Does Champion, Dragon Champion, Barty Champion, Cheesy Champion, Chicken Attack Champion, Moo Lander Champion, Hang Stan Champion, Hangaroo Champion, Sentenced Champion, Canadair Champion Miroku4444 may be famous one day Miroku4444 may be famous one day Miroku4444's Avatar
    Thanks

So you either have to cycle the water in the tank (remove a inch every month(?) and replace with fresh water)
    When you do a water change your suppose to take out a 1/3 of the water every month.

Under-gravel filters are said to be effective on breaking down the fish urine, (as they encourage the growth of bacteria in the gravel that can do this job), but you risk a catastrophic loss of Oxygen if your air pump fails with a under-gravel filter...
    Thats why its good to have a air pump with a bubble stone at the end. So if the under-gravel filter fails you have that to give you o2.

+ Reply to Thread