+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 4 ... LastLast

Thread: Forum Fakes/Reals?

Legendary Otaku Snake Champion, Zelda Champion, Crazy Koala Champion, Minigolf Champion, Concentrate Champion, Guess 5 Champion, Batting Champ Champion, Beach Ball Control Champion, Bookworm Champion, Wacky Word Wiz Champion, Fight Fight 3 Champion, Spinner's Luck Champion, Traffic Jam Champion, Yeti Pengu Throw Champion Legend is making a name for themselves Legend is making a name for themselves Legend is making a name for themselves Legend's Avatar
    Thanks

Forum Fakes/Reals?

It's been a while since I've created a thread here so i hope it all goes well.

My question to you is:

How do you personally figure out whether you trust a person you meet here on AO or not?

If you say there are circumstaces, be specific like:

- Things that person says that you look out for
    - How long you would have to talk to the person before you trust them
    - Things that the person do or reveal to you before you trust them ETC.

OR if you don't trust anyone ever, also be as specific as possible to why but try not to name names.*
    ---------------------------------

*trust me, I've seen my share of fakes here. Some are so fake that they actually try to live out certain anime personas with the user names and the avatars and even the way they posts. (some person thought he/she was really shinji ikari)

'Cause you give me something / That makes me scared, alright / This could be nothing / But I'm willing to give it a try / Please give me something
    'Cause someday I might call you from my heart

5.00 M33-6 solking may be famous one day solking may be famous one day solking's Avatar
    Thanks
    Oh I have met a quite a few fakes. Not just here either. I find them everywhere. I usually like to believe that the person I am speaking to is telling the truth. Later on I will find out by catching their mistakes in their lies. People are horrible liars and eventually they slip. But after a few months or years, you realize who is being honest. On forums its a bit harder to tell but on other sites it is a lot easier. Pictures are worth a thousand words.

THUMBSUCKING ADDICTION Mr. K is making a name for themselves Mr. K is making a name for themselves Mr. K's Avatar
    Thanks
    :O I trust like maybe a few AO people, and there the only online people I guess.

XD For one ~ I've Seen them all on Webcam~

For me~ I have put our friend in your hands and mine. So there's a lil Trust there.

I pretty friendly, (-.-) So if I dislike you~ Its not changing~

o.o hmmm~ Was that it~?

Otaku Speed Cards Champion, Foxhole 13 Champion, Commander Keen - Marooned on Mars Champion, Block Down Champion, Cubis 2 : Arcade Champion, Animal Connect Champion, Color Reactor 2 Champion, Crystal Clear Champion, Cubis 2 : Morph-Fun Champion, SputNik Champion, Blast The Enemy Champion, Prison Escape Champion, Shock Defence Champion ConradGuravitch103 may be famous one day ConradGuravitch103 may be famous one day ConradGuravitch103's Avatar
    Thanks
    well i only like truse maybe one or two people here on AO, and i always watch out for stuff like, where do you live or whats you full name crap like that no one has ever asked me much about that stuff, but on the thought of revealing stuff it would take somthing good sized in order for me to trust them.
    I've seen all you here before at the rise and the fall, lets go down and ring the bell at the Levity Ball.

Legendary Otaku Snake Champion, Zelda Champion, Crazy Koala Champion, Minigolf Champion, Concentrate Champion, Guess 5 Champion, Batting Champ Champion, Beach Ball Control Champion, Bookworm Champion, Wacky Word Wiz Champion, Fight Fight 3 Champion, Spinner's Luck Champion, Traffic Jam Champion, Yeti Pengu Throw Champion Legend is making a name for themselves Legend is making a name for themselves Legend is making a name for themselves Legend's Avatar
    Thanks
    Wow you three actually answer the question fully without missing anything. BRAVO!!! 1000 points for you two I

<-------feeling generous today.

'Cause you give me something / That makes me scared, alright / This could be nothing / But I'm willing to give it a try / Please give me something
    'Cause someday I might call you from my heart

God's Little Girl blue_rebel may be famous one day blue_rebel may be famous one day blue_rebel's Avatar
    Thanks
    I like to think that everyone's real from the start. It doesn't take me long to trust someone, but it doesn't take me long to begin DIStrusting them either. I don't specifically LOOK for frauds, but there are some things that make me think a certain someone MIGHT be a fraud... (this is based solely on experience)

1. A tendency to make claims without going into detail (example: "oh yea i've tried that too" or... well, you get the idea)

2. Fake photos, OBVIOUSLY. There are MANY forumers (even in AO, sadly) who have used other people's pictures claiming them as their own. I have ascertained this in several different ways...

(a) I have seen the photos elsewhere and know that the people are not who they claim to be.

(b) The poster makes all kinds of claims like, "I was here" or "I was doing that" but a close analysis of the photo reveals otherwise.

(c) There are superb-quality photos with very good bokeh, indicating that a DSLR camera was used to take the photo. Some photos are OBVIOUSLY from model photoshoots, and the posters pretended to be the models in the pictures (I admit, I was very skeptical so I actually went to search for the names of the models and found several inconsistencies...)

3. This isn't always the case, but there are sometimes two or more posters who always seem to visit the same thread, reply one after another and ALWAYS side each other. Not only that, they tend to speak the same way. There is a 50-50 chance they're actually the same person. I'm a moderator @ forums elsewhere, so I know. Some people just don't know how to check their own IP numbers.

There is a "real" kind of feel about people who are genuinely who they claim to be. I can't explain it. It's just this sort of feeling you get, where you go, "Ah, I can trust this person." The genuine ones would probably go into detail about a certain issue, while the frauds usually just seem to be whining, ranting or boasting nonstop - on the surface, so to speak. It's pretty hard to keep up a lie for a long time, so when you bring certain issues up (for example, the fraud may have mentioned winning a particular competition) he/she is likely to ignore you or remain fairly obscure about the details. It's probably got to do with the fear of being found out later on.
    Last edited by blue_rebel; Oct 09, 2006 at 07:31 AM.

Commander Ham Chiefblackhammer is making a name for themselves Chiefblackhammer is making a name for themselves Chiefblackhammer is making a name for themselves Chiefblackhammer's Avatar
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by pyoro-pyoro View Post

My question to you is:

How do you personally figure out whether you trust a person you meet here on AO or not?
    Well...I am a very trusting person...I trust you until you give me a reason not to trust you...this does not mean I am stupid...I do not give out my personal information unless I find you very trust worthy and you have to ask for such information. I will fully answer below:

OR if you don't trust anyone ever, also be as specific as possible to why but try not to name names.*
    ---------------------------------
    There are a number of things I look for in maintaining my trust in you…as well as gaining my confidence in the areas of my life I would only divulge to the closest of friends…they are as follows:

The first thing I look for is tenure...How long has the person been in the community. If you haven’t been around long sorry you aren’t getting my deepest darkest secrets. I say this because it is hard to live a lie for too long and if you have been around for a while then you are either really delusional (to the point you believe the lie) or being honest about who you are IMO.

Next I look for high post counts and the quality of your posts. You reveal much about yourself in the way you post so if you don’t post how can I learn you? Also it is hard to post quality often and maintain a lie IMO. I also look at the information you give out and see if it is something plausible. For instance if you say you live in Japan are a college student or work full time but are on like 24/7 it is hard for me to grasp that…you got to work sometime right?

The next thing is how well the person is known by other senior members, it is one thing to maintain a lie to one person but lying to a lot of members and members that normally talk with each other is very hard to do.
    As far as how long before I trust you with my personal info? Well that depends on how much we talk on and outside of AO…if we talk often it is easier for me to learn you and potentially catch you in a lie. Also I can ask little things that are personal to you and your willingness to trust me builds trust from me in you. On a last note meeting the person in the flesh is always a confidence solidifier…as far as how safe that is…Hammer…has a gun

*trust me, I've seen my share of fakes here. Some are so fake that they actually try to live out certain anime personas with the user names and the avatars and even the way they posts. (some person thought he/she was really shinji ikari)
    I know what you are really saying…..see Legend I knew you were a fake the whole time!

Otaku NightFox may be famous one day NightFox may be famous one day NightFox's Avatar
    Thanks

My question to you is:

*trust me, I've seen my share of fakes here.
    How do I figure a fake...Well like it was said before pictures tell alot.
    If picture is HIGH-quality and studio picture/model-like picture it gives
    me some tought abotu the person. Althou there can be actual models or
    just people that actually are professional photographers or so. But
    pictures are actually good way to get some advice.

Other is how you speak, althou people can change their way of posting
    depending of their mood. Like me...I have notised that type of my posts
    alternates once every while. But for most of time people attend to write
    in same way. Other is to find some irrational thoughts in those stories they
    write, but some of those can also be judged as pure mistakes and not instantly as a lie.

But generally there are 10 types of fakers, those who do that too easy to
    say that they are fakers and those that doesn't never get gought.

"Liar has to have good memory"
    "1+1=10=2"

Love hurts...trust me I know, I really do...

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 4 ... LastLast