+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Happy Shrove Tuesday!

Lost in confusion Tetrix 2 v2 Champion Sazzy is making a name for themselves Sazzy is making a name for themselves Sazzy's Avatar
    In my imagination restricted by British Society!
    Thanks

Happy Shrove Tuesday!

Well it is British tradition that on shrove Tuesday (First Tuesday in February) that we all eat PANCAKES!!

Quote Originally Posted by Wikipedia
    Shrove Tuesday is the term used in the United Kingdom [1] and Australia[2] to refer to the day after Shrove Monday (or the more old fashioned Collop Monday) and before Ash Wednesday (the liturgical season of Lent begins on Ash Wednesday). In Ireland, England and amongst Anglicans, Lutherans and possibly other Protestant denominations in Canada including Newfoundland, Nova Scotia, Prince Edward Island and New Brunswick, this day is also known as Pancake Day or Pancake Tuesday, because it is customary to eat pancakes on this day.[3][4][5] In other parts of the world—for example, in historically Catholic and French-speaking parts of the United States and elsewhere—this day is called Mardi Gras. In areas with large Polish-immigrant populations (for example, Chicago) it is known as Tłusty Czwartek and celebrated on the Thursday before Lent. And in areas with large German-immigrant populations (for example, Pennsylvania Dutch Country) it is known as Fasnacht Day (also spelled Fausnacht Day and Fauschnaut Day).
    So Enjoy your pancakes today people!!
    FAVOURITE THREADS EXPLAIN why, or risk an infraction.
    | Sazzy-Bu.co.uk | My Deviant Art | Anime Vector | Otaku Zen | My Twitter | My Tumblr | My last.fm |

Banned Monkey Jump Champion, Karts Champion, Stagedive Dewy Champion, Harry Potter: The Marauder`s Map Champion, Weasley Breakfast Champion, Grand Slam Shredder Champion, Moon Skate Champion, Field Goal FootBall Champion, DodgeBall Champion, Gasbag Smackdown Champion, Makai Hockey Champion, Monkey Nut Champion, The Ordinary Boys Champion, Traffic Control Champion, Roving Reporter Champion, Prawn Of The Dead Champion, Sky Fire Champion, Musical Lantern Champion, Master Qwan,s Mahjongg Champion, Master Mahjongg Champion, Mahjongg: Alchemy Champion, Flash Tiles Champion, Mahjongg 3D Champion, Mahjongg 2 Champion, Mahjongg Fast Champion, Stupid Space Shooting Race Game Champion The GunGrave of Trigun may be famous one day The GunGrave of Trigun may be famous one day
    Thanks

Re: Happy Shrove Tuesday!

I dont really think this is a good holiday because there is alot of holidays that could happen then sunday monday wensday holiday its like okay to call this a holiday.

~jUsT sMiLe~ _gwenibe_ may be famous one day _gwenibe_ may be famous one day _gwenibe_'s Avatar
    Thanks

awesome! ^_^. To think that I'm in Australia and have never heard of this! Must mark on the calender for next year (may even do it tomorrow XD) There is a morning to eat pancakes and crepes coming up this month but, it's for charity. perhaps that's where they got the idea.

@Gungrave - it's not holiday, just a day when it's traditional to eat pancakes

Newbie WhiteWave14 is off to a good start WhiteWave14's Avatar
    Under your BED! OMNOMNOM *eats your toes*
    Thanks

Pancakes? Wow... I guess I should make some right now then!

I think it's a cute tradition! ^^
    Live for Today, Wait for Tomorrow,
    and think about Yesterday.

5.00 M33-6 solking may be famous one day solking may be famous one day solking's Avatar
    Thanks

Well I see people haven't been reading. The French call this Mardi Gras. Mardi Gras is celebrated greatly in Louisiana. In the US it is celebrated at a much later date. Its not an excuse for eating pancakes. It started out as a Christian holiday celebrated before Ash Wednesday. I don't know the details but since it overlaps with the Jewish passover the pancakes might be a symbol for the unleaven bread which was eaten at this time. Unleaven bread is flat bread that doesn't grow in the oven. After a few hundred years the Church must have thought it wasn't necessary since the actual holiday starts with Ash Wednesday but traditions stick so its now just a pancake eating day. Many countries celebrated it on different days because its one of those moving holidays to make it more convenient for the economy especially since February isn't an active month other than Valentine's Day.

Most of this is based on my studies at seminary school and my own logic. Its possible what I said is not completely true. I will be getting more info to confirm all this and straighten out the facts.

anti-semantics Pub Quiz Champion tsurara may be famous one day tsurara may be famous one day tsurara's Avatar
    Thanks

pancakes?

O_o; that's it?

I need to give up **** and all I get before it is pancakes?

This is why I'm not Catholic.

Though even if I was, I'd rather go for the topless boozer dancing beads and candy parade version :P

+ Reply to Thread