+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast

Thread: High school drop outs

~jUsT sMiLe~ _gwenibe_ may be famous one day _gwenibe_ may be famous one day _gwenibe_'s Avatar
    Thanks

Re: High school drop outs

Quote Originally Posted by urlovelyassassin View Post
    i thought i had to explain myself more
    alright well here we go
    unlike other people my body likes to act against me
    i have no problem going to school and doing my work
    if it wasnt for my body always coming down with
    weird unexplained illnesses all the time and only
    during the school year. my doctor said it is because
    of stress but i never really feel stress it's just unconciously until it turns me sick
    today i got an anxiety attack and felt just lost and
    confused sometimes as to where i was
    i dont think if i do stay in school it'll do good because
    im always either 1. missing school cause im sick, or 2. im in school but cant do my work because im sick
    That's what the doctor told me too, and guess what he was right. Being stress dramatically reduces your immune systems normal capabilities. Ever thought of trying to manage the stress? maybe get 'less' stressed and then you wouldn't feel sick all the time. And you don't have to pay anyone to help you with stress ( I didn't XD), Basic things can help you de-stress, time management, eating well, excercise

If you are getting stressed over school, how are you going to manage in the 'real world'. You might as well learn to manage stress now?

and like what every one is saying and from my own personal experiance, though at the time High School is stressful, it's even more so once you start working, having to pay bills, fail a class at uni and have to pay another $600 to do it again etc etc etc. And are you almost finished? Why leave?

I thought 1000's times about quitting high school ( and even more so about uni >_>), but I didn't want to get a message out to the world that I was a quitter, I started something, I intend to finish. Not implying that your a quitter or anything, just saying that if your so close to the end, it's a shame to
    quit now.

Legendary Otaku divine_punishment may be famous one day divine_punishment may be famous one day divine_punishment's Avatar
    Thanks

your opinion?

i am leaning forward to dropping out of high school. My body can't physically take the stress of just waking up in the morning let alone doing the work. So I was planning to drop out and get my GED, then go to school for massage therapy. I'm still a little uneasy about it though. Probably because it's so looked down upon, and if my grandpa finds out he'll be really disappointed and may disown me. So tell me what you think.

~ULA

Oh, sweetie, no. My father did that . . . let's just say, life is a struggle. If you can't take the stress of high school (hahaha), you won't be ready AT ALL for the stress of waking up every day, going to a low-paying job that you need in order to pay the rent, the bills, the EVERYTHING . . . I know high school is hard. I get it. But not having that diploma is even harder.

Lady Barronmore Arrianna has become well known Arrianna has become well known Arrianna has become well known Arrianna's Avatar
    Thanks

i thought i had to explain myself more
    alright well here we go
    unlike other people my body likes to act against me
    i have no problem going to school and doing my work
    if it wasnt for my body always coming down with
    weird unexplained illnesses all the time and only
    during the school year. my doctor said it is because
    of stress but i never really feel stress it's just unconciously until it turns me sick
    today i got an anxiety attack and felt just lost and
    confused sometimes as to where i was
    i dont think if i do stay in school it'll do good because
    im always either 1. missing school cause im sick, or 2. im in school but cant do my work because im sick

last year believe it or not i missed a whole marking period at one time because i came up with a mysterious rash

ill have a whole year and a half to study for my GED and ill hire tutors and stuff if i need them

and i wont be going to college because there are special schools just for massage therapy and i can go to those
    and i know i wont freak out there because im going to have a lot of hands on work and ill be doing something i actually like

also i might take business classes at the community college in case i want to one day self employ myself and atleast then i can pick the hours i wish to go to school for that and it wont be five days a week

i would love to continue through high school
    but im just sick of being sick it gets so tiring
    You have just described myself at your age. Sooo... as the voice of someone who has been through the exact same thing I am going to disagree with everyone else here and say do it.

Fact 1: if you are that sick you will not be able to graduate with the "shiny diploma" anyway.

Fact 2: the people you work with to get your GED will also tally your class credits you have already earned and set you up with GED classes that are worth the last credits you will need for a State authored Adult Education degree. Once you pass the GED and you have those credits all you have to do is send in an application to the state and you will have your diploma.

Fact 3: with that diploma you can mark a high school degree on any application and it will not matter you didn't walk through a 2 hour line at High School.

Fact 4: if you don't have all the credits you need through the GED program you can take the classes at a local college and get the credits that way (the way I did it).

The most important thing for you right now is to get your system, your body back in good health or it will affect your health for the rest of your life. I should know.

Now I have just one more thing to say and I want you to listen really carefully, if you haven't yet get yourself tested for food allergies. We didn't find out till I was nearly 27 that my health issues were caused by an undiagnosed food allergy. The allergy combined with the stress caused an utter breakdown of my immune system. It also did the same thing to my sister and now she has Chronic Fatigue Syndrome. DO NOT take any chances with your health. Find out what you are reacting to and do it as soon as you can.

l Stone Hold l Now We're Cooking! l Thanks to Kaos for the awesome sig!

Commander Ham Chiefblackhammer is making a name for themselves Chiefblackhammer is making a name for themselves Chiefblackhammer is making a name for themselves Chiefblackhammer's Avatar
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Arrianna View Post
    You have just described myself at your age. Sooo... as the voice of someone who has been through the exact same thing I am going to disagree with everyone else here and say do it.

Fact 1: if you are that sick you will not be able to graduate with the "shiny diploma" anyway.

Fact 2: the people you work with to get your GED will also tally your class credits you have already earned and set you up with GED classes that are worth the last credits you will need for a State authored Adult Education degree. Once you pass the GED and you have those credits all you have to do is send in an application to the state and you will have your diploma.

Fact 3: with that diploma you can mark a high school degree on any application and it will not matter you didn't walk through a 2 hour line at High School.

Fact 4: if you don't have all the credits you need through the GED program you can take the classes at a local college and get the credits that way (the way I did it).

The most important thing for you right now is to get your system, your body back in good health or it will affect your health for the rest of your life. I should know.

Now I have just one more thing to say and I want you to listen really carefully, if you haven't yet get yourself tested for food allergies. We didn't find out till I was nearly 27 that my health issues were caused by an undiagnosed food allergy. The allergy combined with the stress caused an utter breakdown of my immune system. It also did the same thing to my sister and now she has Chronic Fatigue Syndrome. DO NOT take any chances with your health. Find out what you are reacting to and do it as soon as you can.
    urlovelyassassin, This is big decision and to be honest getting a high school diploma verses a GED can, and in some cases does, make a huge difference how your life turns out. Now given you said you didn't plan on going to college (as you want to be a massage therapist and they don't have traditional college requirements) you aren't going to face most of the issues GEDers have. So this can actually be a very good option for you.

Having said that, I will agree that what arrianna said above is a good course of action but on 1 condition, YOU ACTUALLY DO IT! Don't go through life without getting your GED if you drop out of High School...and DON'T wait to start on it. Waiting reduces the probability exponentially that you will ever do it. Realize it isn't going to be easy and it will take a lot of effort (maybe more effort then what you are putting in at High School) but it will be well worth it.

ALSO there is another alternative...HOME SCHOOL! Get your parents to apply for a state license (meaning they register with the state as a actual "school") and they can teach you at home, you will have to pay for you books but you can work at your own pace and that may be a wonderful option for you. When you complete the state's requirements you get a full fledged degree no different than that of your local High School.

My local school system was holding me back (I did my homework in class because they bored me) so my parents pulled me out and I was home schooled through high school. I finished in 3 years as apposed to 4. For those who doubt the quality of education home schooled children get… I now have 2 B.S. degrees and will soon start on my M.S./MBA…what about you?

Also GET ANOTHER DOCTOR! Your doctor sucks and the stress argument is total BS he/she is floating your way because he/she is too dumb to really know what is wrong with you. Allergy testing can be expensive but may be a very good idea if you are getting sick for no reason (and getting sick a lot). Rashes are also good evidence you may be allergic to something, severe breakout, hives or reduced ability to breath are also indicators. Allergies can develop at any time and something you use to eat or be around a lot can all of a sudden change and really bother you.

Now I am not saying a reduced amount of stress in your life won’t help your health considerably but it isn’t as big an issue as your doctor is making out. There are other things present which are the real issue; the stress just makes your symptoms worse. I know, I have spent several hundred dollars in doctor’s visits this year alone and ultimately after quite a few visits and some long discussions on what could be causing my medical issues my doctor told me repeatedly that stress only adds to underlying issues.

Whatever you do, good luck with it

I'm all ears. Hassun has disabled reputation
    Thanks

Where I come from not having a high school degree almost equals to not getting any job except garbage man, road cleaner, etc.

Fish Fingers & Custard Ice Hockey Champion, Smaugs Treasure Champion, Mini Putt 3 Champion, Ant Tracks Champion, Jungle Hunt Champion, Madnetics Champion, Manole Champion, Blokken Champion, Fast Food Fiasco Champion, Shapes Hifters Champion, Mud and Blood: Vietnam Champion HolderOfTheDarkChalice is making a name for themselves HolderOfTheDarkChalice is making a name for themselves HolderOfTheDarkChalice's Avatar
    someplace where the only light is the moon above
    Thanks

i had sevral jobs that were decent before i
    went back and got my diploma at collage of course
    they paid less that thwy would if i had the diploma at the time
    thats what got me motivated to get my ged.

its important to not drop out just for the money
    i learned that the hard way
    I'll be the one to protect you from your enemies and all your demons
    I'll be the one to protect you from a will to survive and a voice of reason
    I'll be the one to protect you from your enemies and your choices son
    They're one in the same, I must isolate you...
    Isolate and save you from yourself

Otaku urlovelyassassin is off to a good start
    in the devil's arms and the angel's heart
    Thanks

tsurara- there are a lot of jobs that hire people my age who arent even done school and in walking distance so im good on that i already have one

Kazaf- i basically already answered all that you said on page one ^^

_gwenibe_- answered that

and i have a very good doctor he has been my doctor for years and i love him
    he gave me many tests and i told him about all of my symptoms

also i know it's stress because i dont get sick during the whole summer even once
    im well relaxed and my masoose said i have less knots in my back which is another sign it's stress

and i do not have any money my mortgage is way high and my mom doesnt have a very good job right now

i wish i could be homeschooled but i just cant be do to many things

well ive already decided
    everyone keeps telling me about people who dropped out and are miserable

but ive talked with many people who dropped out and are not miserable at all
    my one friend amy dropped out and became a massage therapist and she said it didnt hurt her at all and she is very satisfied with her life

she makes 80,000 a year

Sometimes I still dream of you, even though you were so cold
    http://profile.myspace.com/index.cfm...endid=27434950

~jUsT sMiLe~ _gwenibe_ may be famous one day _gwenibe_ may be famous one day _gwenibe_'s Avatar
    Thanks

Well, it is your decision. I don't see drop out as miserable ( but then again we have a totally different system in Aust. where I am, no one can drop out unless they have a full-time job and are 16)

But get your stress and health sorted out first, stress ( or whatever it is) follows you into life in general.

If your really sure, I guess go for it, seems like you made up your mind. I know it's different systems from where you are (but I think it's an interesting story) But when I was 15-16 I had a 30 year old guy in my english class. He was told that to be a chef in the Navy he needed at least 6 months of school (I still don't get it either XD). He always threatened us not to drop and and do it right the first time XD. Though, I kinda disagree with it. I know it saves time later on, but you might aswell do what you feel right at the time - and with education, it's never too late to go back, if one ever decides to go back that is.
    Last edited by _gwenibe_; Oct 04, 2007 at 12:55 PM.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast