+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 4 ... LastLast

Thread: How do you deal with fear?

Legendary Otaku divine_punishment may be famous one day divine_punishment may be famous one day divine_punishment's Avatar
    Thanks

How do you deal with fear?

How do you deal with fear? What is your reaction when you are startled? Everyone reacts differently to the same impulse, after all.

For example, my roommate and I were walking home yesterday when one of our friends leapt out and grabbed us in the dark. My roommate screamed like a banshee. I went into a fighting position with the sharpest object within reach (my keys) in hand. Same stimulus, different reactions.

How do you respond?

~always by your side~ Radarix Champion, Virus 2 Champion, Virus 3 Champion fireandice is off to a good start fireandice's Avatar
    Thanks

Re: How do you deal with fear?

I don't startle easy so my reactions aren't anything big. If anything I'll move back abit untill I see what it really is and if it's going to hurt me. But I must say I usually don't do anything or I fight back. Most of the time though I don't do anything just give them a dumb stare or smile at them.

Newbie firstborn is off to a good start firstborn's Avatar
    Thanks

I have a tendancy to be relatively agressive when startled. A common reaction for me would be to lash out before taking a fighting stance (not the best way to do it, but on the up side my friends dont try to scare me anymore)
    See now the game is historically inaccurate, because unlike feudal Japan, modern day France does not have any flying demonic stingrays. . . well, hardly any.

Warrior Monk kedar may be famous one day kedar may be famous one day kedar's Avatar
    Thanks

Moving this to Cyber Lounge, as it suits there appropriately than in the Sensory Pleasures Forum.

+Moving+

Sophist of Satire Exoparadapsyphobia may be famous one day Exoparadapsyphobia may be famous one day Exoparadapsyphobia's Avatar
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by fireandice View Post
    Most of the time though I don't do anything just give them a dumb stare or smile at them.
    You won't mind if I give a little chuckle at this will you? It sounded so truthfull and humurous I couldn't help it.

Anyways, when I'm scared I don't lash out or get physically defensive, I just take a second to see if whatever scared me is a threat first and then react accordingly which would either mean moving away, fighting, or continuing with what I was doing beforehand. I think the fact that I have a naturally slow reaction to those kinds of things helps me to remain calm long enough to evaluate the situation before reacting, but that only includes being started mentally. If I'm startled by a physical reaction, like a sudden pain or push or something, I automatically go into attack mode. Which doesn't necessarily mean a posture that would indicate I was offensive but a spiking of adrenaline, the tensing of muscles and thoughts of what I can do to quickly win whatever fight I'm about to initiate or threat respond to.
    Death is your most loyal companion, for he will never fail you.

Otaku magic soccer Champion, Badger Racing Champion, Penalty Master Champion, Mouse Wars Champion, Poopshoot Champion, RV Cart Dart Champion, Park The Caravan Champion, Radio Rampage Champion, Roman Rumble Champion, Catcho Champion, Planarity Champion, Dead eye puzzle Champion, Jurassic Realm Champion, Schatzgraeber Champion, Quick Brick Champion, Cannonball Follies 3 - Cold Front Champion, Dungeon Hunt Champion Jepray is off to a good start Jepray's Avatar
    Thanks

i dont seem to have a panic button...i know i've been in situation that would scare someone white, but i do take in a situation before i react...i guess its the way i proscess information, i need all the info before i do something...I guess i either push fear aside while i figure it out, cause i know i will end up shaking after something crazy, maybe a reaction to the adrenaline...
    for instance, two times in a car...one coming off a freeway, the 110 in san pedro if anyone lives in my part of the woods...the freeway turns into a street. well the light just turned red, and im comming off freeway speeds, start to hit the brake and my car good Bang! and the brake pedle hits the floor. i try pumping, no help, not enough room to hand brake it, so had ot blow the light honking the whole way. It finaly stopped a few blocks over with the hand brake...i never panicked, i tried all avaliable options and picked one...my driver side brake line decided to snap in half...i limped it back home with 3 cans of brake fluid...
    the second was driving home, dark street, in the shadow of a tree was a huge and very dead dog...but the thing was taller on its side than the space under my car...i just swerved around it, waking up my wife in the process...if i hit it that thing would have at the least ripped my front bumper off...in a gross and messy way...again, i was never afraid of it, i just went off and did it...my wife would have locked up and screamed into it...

as for fights, i wait to see what happens before i react...my wifes brother in-law grab me by the throat. i could have, and been right about it, if i sucker punched his butt, but thank god i decided to not react...it would have caused unknown damage in the family...his wife (sister in-law)pulled him off of me...if i had attacked, i would have looked bad, but he made his mess...he doesnt do anything around me anymore...
    Don't Panic

Legendary Otaku divine_punishment may be famous one day divine_punishment may be famous one day divine_punishment's Avatar
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Jepray View Post
    i dont seem to have a panic button...i know i've been in situation that would scare someone white, but i do take in a situation before i react...i guess its the way i proscess information, i need all the info before i do something...I guess i either push fear aside while i figure it out, cause i know i will end up shaking after something crazy, maybe a reaction to the adrenaline...
    You sound like The Boy Who Knew No Fear (also known as The Story of the Youth Who Went Forth To Learn What Fear Was), collected by the Grimms brothers. The Story of the Youth Who Went Forth to Learn What Fear Was - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Otaku magic soccer Champion, Badger Racing Champion, Penalty Master Champion, Mouse Wars Champion, Poopshoot Champion, RV Cart Dart Champion, Park The Caravan Champion, Radio Rampage Champion, Roman Rumble Champion, Catcho Champion, Planarity Champion, Dead eye puzzle Champion, Jurassic Realm Champion, Schatzgraeber Champion, Quick Brick Champion, Cannonball Follies 3 - Cold Front Champion, Dungeon Hunt Champion Jepray is off to a good start Jepray's Avatar
    Thanks

hmm maybe i do...not much suprises me, and some can even conside me a bit detatched from the here and now...i just chose my time, thats, all and i will not let fear rule me. I will not let the unknown scare me. I chose to be free...
    Don't Panic

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 4 ... LastLast