+ Reply to Thread
Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast

Thread: (if you lived in the era of swords) What Would You Do

Otaku Maskot Kombat Champion Titanofdeath is off to a good start Titanofdeath's Avatar
    Thanks

Re: (if you lived in the era of swords) What Would You Do

Rapier generally refers to a relatively long-bladed sword characterized by a complex hilt which is constructed to provide protection for the hand wielding it. While the blade might be broad enough to cut to some degree (but nowhere near that of the thicker, heavier swords in use around the Middle Ages), the strength of the rapier is its ability as a thrusting weapon. The blade might be sharpened along its entire length, sharpened only from the center to the tip (as described by Capoferro), or completely without a cutting edge as called "estoc" by Pallavicini, a rapier master who, in 1670, strongly advocated using a weapon with two cutting edges. A typical example would weigh 1 kg and have a relatively long and slender blade of 2.5 centimetres or less in width, 1 meter or more in length and ending in a sharply pointed tip.

The Greatsword or grete Swerd is referenced today mostly as an extremely large or powerful weapon, like the Zweihänder, in comparison with less sizable weapons like the falchion. In history, the sword had the same relative use as a comparative term between one smaller weapon and another considerably larger. In this case, the comparison was not between longswords and the even longer bihänder as is the modern one, but between the smaller single handed variants of the spatha, the so-called "transition swords"[1], and larger variants thereof, with longer blades and hilts. For comparison, single handed transitional swords of Type XII have a grip about 4.5 inches (11.4 cm) in length,[2] while the larger subtype XIIIa sword has a grip approximately 6.5 to 9 inches (16.5 to 22.8 cm) long.[3] A similarly long grip is found on the XIIa, another early great sword. The XIIa was originally a part of the XIIIa classification, but was decided to "taper too strongly" and to be "too acutely pointed" to fit appropriately.

Katana (刀 or かたな, Katana?) is a type of nihontō, without doubt the most common sub-category. Originally used as a general term for single-edged sword, as opposed to tsurugi (剣 or つるぎ, tsurugi?), which is double-edged sword. Later used specifically for describing nihontō that are around 70~90 cm long with a curved blade and is different from Chokutō (直刀 or ちょくとう, Chokutō?) that is of a straight blade. It is a very dangerous weapon usually known to be utilized by samurai.
    I would like to you any of this weapon i mean these are all good chose no of them are wimpy and i like great swords more but katana are great. Japanese there are alot of legendary swords the Honjo Masamune, Fudo Masamune , Hōchō Masamune, Kotegiri Masamune, and Helmet Breaker.

"Be the change that you want to see in the world." "A nation's culture resides in the hearts and in the soul of its people. " "Live as if you were to die tomorrow. Learn as if you were to live forever." Quote Mohandas Gandhi

Otaku Oroboros Champion nexusolus is off to a good start nexusolus's Avatar
    Thanks

I dont know which era id rather live in. I love the tech we have nowa days but i like the idea of having exiting(even if it is hard times to live in) adventures in the sword era's. I also like the idea of geting good with a sword, even if i do have a low servival chances in those times.

And as for the types of swords. I would ether like a longsword w/sheild. or a katana. As for a rapier i dont think they are very good weapons. Ive never personal held one but what ive seen of fencing matches they dont seem all that durable. And you have to be very acurate to get a good blow in.

See not even wearing protective coverings,it doesnt look that threatening. But i could be wrong.
    FabrisGirataRightFoot.jpg

Made by me.

Otaku Maskot Kombat Champion Titanofdeath is off to a good start Titanofdeath's Avatar
    Thanks

I found somthing that i think that i would love to use in the chinese era. i think that it would be a get thiing to be able to use cause it has a good offense and defense.
    The ji (Chinese: 戟; pinyin: jǐ), the Chinese halberd, was used as a military weapon in one form or another from at least as early as the Shang dynasty until the end of the Qing dynasty. They are still used for training purposes by many Chinese martial arts. The ji resembles a Chinese spear for the most part, with a small crescent blade attached to the head and a red horsehair tassel where the head is fixed to the shaft. It was a relatively common infantry weapon, especially in its common Bronze Age variant known as the dagger-axe, although it was used by cavalry and charioteers as well. There were several types of ji, e.g. with a rectangular, serrated blade instead of the crescent-formed one, or spear tips with two curved blades attached (see the center halberd in illustration).

They have two or three sharp points of attack, the side blade or blades and the tip, plus often a rear counter weight that could be used to strike the opponent. The way the side blades are fixed to the main spear pole differs, but usually there are empty spaces between the pole and the side blade. These "slots" could be used to trap an enemy's weapon and then the wielder of the halberd need only to jerk his weapon to disarm or even break the opponent's weapon. The wielder could strike with the shaft, with the option of then pulling the halberd back to hook with a side blade; or slap his opponent with the flat side of the halberd blade to knock him off his horse.

"Be the change that you want to see in the world." "A nation's culture resides in the hearts and in the soul of its people. " "Live as if you were to die tomorrow. Learn as if you were to live forever." Quote Mohandas Gandhi

Devil's Advocate TaurusDemon23 may be famous one day TaurusDemon23 may be famous one day TaurusDemon23's Avatar
    Thanks

If I was sent back in time to the "days of the sword", I'd be a ronin that sailed the seven seas, making my money through my wit and skill. I'd go out and explore things not yet discovered. I'd take treasure and women for my own. The Pirate's Life for me, yo.
    I can't do that these days. Too much law and order these days. Not much left to explore. Most of the treasure in museums and in government coffers. It is depressing.........

anti-semantics Pub Quiz Champion tsurara may be famous one day tsurara may be famous one day tsurara's Avatar
    Thanks

I sincerely wonder if any of you have any knowledge whatsoever of actual Japanese history, blacksmithing experience or have ever even used a sword?

Because 99.9% of this thread is total imagination-masturbation ^_^;;;

Maybe now is a good time to remind everyone that watching Kill Bill, Pirates of the Carribean and a lot of cartoons doesn't give you a great deal of real insight into actual history or warfare.

One Man Army Ochi Gate is off to a good start Ochi Gate's Avatar
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by tsurara View Post
    I sincerely wonder if any of you have any knowledge whatsoever of actual Japanese history, blacksmithing experience or have ever even used a sword?
    Because 99.9% of this thread is total imagination-masturbation ^_^;;;

Maybe now is a good time to remind everyone that watching Kill Bill, Pirates of the Carribean and a lot of cartoons doesn't give you a great deal of real insight into actual history or warfare.
    no it doesnt. fortunately, i never thought i was an "expert", and i certainly hated the kill bill movies, and every Pirates movie after the first one.

call me a geek or nerdy, but i actually find the history of swordmaking interesting- and not only japanese. and yes, i DO have experience using a real tachi- and not just randomly swinging it around calling myself a samurai

"You will only have eyes for Me!"

Golden Crypt Lord James Bunny Champion, Leaf Bouncer Champion, Flying Pengus Champion, Jungle Jumble Champion, Hungry Hippaul Champion LichGRIFFIN may be famous one day LichGRIFFIN's Avatar
    Thanks

to answer the questions in the title ... I'll live? O_o; or anyway .. i wouldn't love in sword times of our history because it's filled with darker sides bigger than out imagination ... but a little fantasy one would do (since that's how the thread started!)
    Last edited by LichGRIFFIN; Jan 12, 2008 at 04:23 AM. Reason: ... -_-||
    Life and Death are always one and the same
    EVEN IF A RAINBOW IS BROKEN THERE'S STILL THE SKY

Otaku Kairu is off to a good start Kairu's Avatar
    Thanks

Hmmm living in the time period of swords eh. Well I would love to do that, but only if I did not know what I was giving up here. As in all the technology we have, I would miss it too much lol.
    Like most people would probably say here, I would try and be a samurai. I cannot imagine I would be any good at it, being that I am more brains than brawn. So to become someone like a Lord's strategist, that would be more along my lines I think. Of course always carrying a sword to look cool lol.

Although since this is pure fictional I would love to be a ninja ^_^. I have always been fascinated by ninjas and their secret art. I do not know much about them, except from a few books I have read....but of course there was not anymore info past what you would pick up on TV, and some of that even is not completely trustworthy.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast