+ Reply to Thread
Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 5

Thread: (if you lived in the era of swords) What Would You Do

One Man Army Ochi Gate is off to a good start Ochi Gate's Avatar
    Thanks

Re: (if you lived in the era of swords) What Would You Do

Quote Originally Posted by Kairu View Post

Although since this is pure fictional I would love to be a ninja ^_^. I have always been fascinated by ninjas and their secret art. I do not know much about them, except from a few books I have read....but of course there was not anymore info past what you would pick up on TV, and some of that even is not completely trustworthy.

ninjas may be cool and all, but you must also remember this- due to the nature of their profession [assasination, espianoge, ect] the samurai and others hated them as honorless swine. if caught, a ninja was suseptibal to horrible tortures, and so one of the first things ninja learned where many ways of killing themselves. they where even prepared to bite off their own tounge and choke themselves on it, if they had no weapons left on them.

but, since this is a fantasy type thing, i guess you wont have to worry about that ^^

"You will only have eyes for Me!"

anti-semantics Pub Quiz Champion tsurara may be famous one day tsurara may be famous one day tsurara's Avatar
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Ochi Gate View Post
    the samurai and others hated them as honorless swine. if caught, a ninja was suseptibal to horrible tortures, and so one of the first things ninja learned where many ways of killing themselves. they where even prepared to bite off their own tounge and choke themselves on it, if they had no weapons left on them.
    This is also fantasy-hooey. Whether or not "ninjas" the way think of them even existed or not is up for open debate. Certainly espionage was a part of warfare in fuedal Japan, but that a highly trained nationwide "order" of magical roof-trotting, mask-wearing, throwing-star-hurling "ninjas" were employed in this sense is pretty much the stuff of pop culture fantasy. History is mum on the topic (and oddly enough, so is most traditional Japanese literature and artwork). They play no great institutional role in documented history, certainly displayed no evidence of "supernatural powers", had no role in politics and likely weren't widely despised by the samurai class (since they may not have even actually existed).

Real "ninjas" are tied to a school of "non-combative" (ie. stealth) martial arts founded in the late 1300s. Some samurai in the region practiced the art THEMSELVES, which makes it highly unlikely that they despised them enough to make it a policy to hunt them down, throw rocks at them or give them wedgies.

90% of information on "ninjas" in the Western world (including the Wikipedia article "ninja") is 100% garbage written by white kids who watch too much Naruto and a few bs-"martial arts gurus" who can't even speak Japanese, much less have "aquired the secrets of the ninja" from old Japanese mountain men hiding behind reed mats ~_~;

Ninjas are like Santa Claus... yeah... there's a tiny grain of truth to it: but the bullshit pearl it's created has no equal.

Ninjutsu - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
    a wikipedia article WITH actual souces that might dim your enthusiam for faux Japanese history

Golden Crypt Lord James Bunny Champion, Leaf Bouncer Champion, Flying Pengus Champion, Jungle Jumble Champion, Hungry Hippaul Champion LichGRIFFIN may be famous one day LichGRIFFIN's Avatar
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by tsurara View Post
    This is also fantasy-hooey. Whether or not "ninjas" the way think of them even existed or not is up for open debate. Certainly espionage was a part of warfare in fuedal Japan, but that a highly trained nationwide "order" of magical roof-trotting, mask-wearing, throwing-star-hurling "ninjas" were employed in this sense is pretty much the stuff of pop culture fantasy. History is mum on the topic (and oddly enough, so is most traditional Japanese literature and artwork). They play no great institutional role in documented history, certainly displayed no evidence of "supernatural powers", had no role in politics and likely weren't widely despised by the samurai class (since they may not have even actually existed).

Real "ninjas" are tied to a school of "non-combative" (ie. stealth) martial arts founded in the late 1300s. Some samurai in the region practiced the art THEMSELVES, which makes it highly unlikely that they despised them enough to make it a policy to hunt them down, throw rocks at them or give them wedgies.

90% of information on "ninjas" in the Western world (including the Wikipedia article "ninja") is 100% garbage written by white kids who watch too much Naruto and a few bs-"martial arts gurus" who can't even speak Japanese, much less have "aquired the secrets of the ninja" from old Japanese mountain men hiding behind reed mats ~_~;

Ninjas are like Santa Claus... yeah... there's a tiny grain of truth to it: but the bullshit pearl it's created has no equal.

a wikipedia article WITH actual souces that might dim your enthusiam for faux Japanese history
    but as mentioning that Wikipedia has many sides filled with wrong information ... and for the old eras i'd rather not live back in dark times because i don't remember reading about a pleasant brilliant one (well if there was such a thing they wouldn't have ended ,now would they?) and like that ...
    Last edited by LichGRIFFIN; Jan 14, 2008 at 05:28 AM. Reason: fixed! :)
    Life and Death are always one and the same
    EVEN IF A RAINBOW IS BROKEN THERE'S STILL THE SKY

Otaku Kairu is off to a good start Kairu's Avatar
    Thanks

I did not intend on a debate on ninjas XD.
    But for my 2 cents, I do not beleive the stuff I see on the net. Nor do I beleive in the idea of a ninja having supernatural powers or anything of the nature. Nor do I think a ninja to be wearing an orange jumpsuit and duplicate himself 100's of times.

In the 1300's in Japan a ninja would simply be someone that the Lords called upon to carry out simple assassination missions from time to time. They were trained to undergo extreme amounts of torture as well as stealth. Yes, I have heard that they were also trained on silencing themselves in many unpleasant ways. But since the whole thread is more on the basis on "What if" I see no reason to worry on it so much.

The relationship between samurai and ninjas is a pretty tough subject. For one thing you need to keep in mind, someone had to hire the ninja. Ninja's (so I have read and would like to believe) worked for money, they lived as mercenaries. Samurai had did not like the ninja for the reason they had no honor. Which is true to a certain extent anyway.

This is all going on the basis of ninja truly existing. Which is a very debated issue.

One Man Army Ochi Gate is off to a good start Ochi Gate's Avatar
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by tsurara View Post

tsurara, i wont lie. i kinda respected you. but nowhere in my statement did i say that ninjas had "magical powers". and common sense will tell you, any society, civilized or not, will have people that take money to kill others. these are the "ninja" i talk about, not prince-of-persia, fire-breathing, rasengan-ing orange-wearing mystical types who only exist in make-belive.

i have no intention of arguing with anybody, i just dont like being made out as a fool.

"You will only have eyes for Me!"

+ Reply to Thread
Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 5