+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 8 1 2 3 4 ... LastLast

Thread: Languages you speak?

is On Point Abu Dhabi is making a name for themselves Abu Dhabi is making a name for themselves Abu Dhabi's Avatar
    Thanks

Languages you speak?

^o^ what is up my doge? today's question is...

What languages can you speak?
    Did you learn them for fun or did you move?
    Has learning a new language given you a new perspective on the people who speak it?

^_^ the only language i can speak/read/write fluently is English. the runner-up would be Spanish, but i only know enough to find my way around and to read restaurant menus. i can speak/read/write an infinitesimal amount of Japanese and i know when people are speaking Tagalog (language of Philippines)...

Spanish... i tried to learn becuz half my family speaks it, so i might as well join in... Japanese was for fun and Tagalog i kinda picked up on becuz that's that language Soshi's family speaks a lot of the time... and, well English kinda came with the territory...

and if i learned any perspective it was probably Japanese. i liked how there were different words for one thing, cuz you could pick the best one to describe what you're feeling. i thought that really showed their care in speaking, especially about spiritual things like love...

so what about you guys?

Devoted Otaku Shodokan may be famous one day Shodokan may be famous one day Shodokan's Avatar
    Thanks

Re: Languages you speak?

I only speak English. Which actually can mean many things in America. You can speak one type of english but understand other types of English. I understand black people's english, country people's english, white people's english, Mexican English, and broken english spoken by Japanese, Koreans, Vietnamese, Chinese etc.

It was pretty hard going to school in 1st grade because I had to learn white people english. Also known as proper english. I had to talk and write how I didn't talk at home or to my friends so it was pretty frustuating. I have no idea how to write in ebonics till this day. For example it would take me a minute or two to translate this sentence in ebonics.

"I'm going to the store, I'll be right back guys."

Since someone might ask me how you would say it in ebonics I'll figure it out right now.

I'm fin ta go to ta store. I'll be back ya'll .

Angelic Lasura may be famous one day Lasura's Avatar
    Thanks

I speak fluently English and Latvian, Latvian is my mother tongue and I've spent enough time learning English to be able to tell it's better than average, though it could be better, I read English, listen to English music, watch English television, chat in English on AO and now I'll be able to talk English and learn in English (since I now live in London)

I can talk in Russian too and I understand every single thing someone says in russian, since I've grown up with russian people around... I could better my Russian knowlege but I don't really wish to.

Also I can understand German (if I'm talked to quite slow) and I can say some stuff if needed, I've learned German for two years in school...

Since my sis will learn Spanish, I could be able to learn some too.
    And I'd wish to learn Japanese, but my only teacher (Ray) has disappeared somewhere. lol

I like learning languages, I enjoy it and I think it's great to know many languages...

My recommended fanfic: "Dreamer" by Scourge

Devoted Otaku Shodokan may be famous one day Shodokan may be famous one day Shodokan's Avatar
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Lasura View Post
    I speak fluently English and Latvian, Latvian is my mother tongue and I've spent enough time learning English to be able to tell it's better than average, though it could be better, I read English, listen to English music, watch English television, chat in English on AO and now I'll be able to talk English and learn in English (since I now live in London)

I can talk in Russian too and I understand every single thing someone says in russian, since I've grown up with russian people around... I could better my Russian knowlege but I don't really wish to.

Also I can understand German (if I'm talked to quite slow) and I can say some stuff if needed, I've learned German for two years in school...

Since my sis will learn Spanish, I could be able to learn some too.
    And I'd wish to learn Japanese, but my only teacher (Ray) has disappeared somewhere. lol

I like learning languages, I enjoy it and I think it's great to know many languages...
    Oh you're from Lativia that's why you know Russian. So you're in London to go to school?

In America most people only know English unless they immigrated from another country. They teach us that English is superior to all other languages so alot of people look down on you if you can't speak English.

Mage of Eternity Joe Mage is making a name for themselves Joe Mage is making a name for themselves Joe Mage's Avatar
    Thanks

English and I used to know Spainish and French, but they've both gotten very rusty on account that I had no one to interact with using those lauguages. So I never got enough practice in to make it really stick. I like Spainish, so that's why I learned it and I was planning on traveling to France on day to c the works of some of the greatest artists to ever live, like Van Gogh or Da Vinci. Then I got cancer and everythin' went to pot.

Sanity doesn't exist, it's just an excuse cooked up by crazy people to justify their actions. My myspace page: www.myspace.com/joemage

Àddïctëd tø |ăüghïñg :) Sonny Sunshine Champion, Volcano Champion, Aquarium Sprengischen Champion, Spiderman Web of Words Champion, Look Alive Champion iluvmyloser is off to a good start iluvmyloser's Avatar
    Thanks

i can speak/write/say fluently a few languages i have been studing for a long time also its helpful in school im studing just for the fun of it.i know the following:english,french,spanish,italian,some german,japenese,russian,portuguese,latvic(a little),latin,and right now im studiying dutch.so yeah!!
    Last edited by iluvmyloser; Jul 09, 2007 at 08:09 AM.
    Yeah, Bye.

Newbie Hitsugaya389 is off to a good start
    Thanks

i speak... Chinese, Japanese, Fench( sometimes) english and spanish... I usually speak english and japanese though

Otaku Warthog Launch Champion Rook may be famous one day Rook may be famous one day Rook's Avatar
    Thanks

My primary language is english, and as for spanish i can only read it and understand it when people speak it, but i cant speak it myself, funny huh? But yea, how are you guys able to learn so many languages?

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 8 1 2 3 4 ... LastLast