+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Laura Mallory vs Harry Potter

Ecchi Enthusiast Classic Donkey Kong Champion, Balloon Bomber Champion, Fishing Impossible Champion, Festival Of History : Archery Champion, Dare Devil Champion, Little Monkey Does Champion, Dragon Champion, Barty Champion, Cheesy Champion, Chicken Attack Champion, Moo Lander Champion, Hang Stan Champion, Hangaroo Champion, Sentenced Champion, Canadair Champion Miroku4444 may be famous one day Miroku4444 may be famous one day Miroku4444's Avatar
    Thanks

Laura Mallory vs Harry Potter

http://www.ksdk.com/news/watercooler...storyid=104833
    ATLANTA (AP) -- A suburban county that sparked a public outcry when its libraries temporarily eliminated funding for Spanish-language fiction is now being asked to ban Harry Potter books from its schools.

Laura Mallory, a mother of four, told a hearing officer for the Gwinnett County Board of Education on Tuesday that the popular fiction series is an "evil" attempt to indoctrinate children in the Wicca religion.

Board of Education attorney Victoria Sweeny said that if schools were to remove all books containing reference to witches, they would have to ban "Macbeth" and "Cinderella."

"There's a mountain of evidence for keeping Harry Potter," she said, adding that the books don't support any particular religion but present instead universal themes of friendship and overcoming adversity.

In June, the county's library board eliminated the $3,000 that had been set aside to buy Spanish-language fiction in the coming fiscal year. One board member said the move came after some residents objected to using taxpayer dollars to entertain readers who might be illegal immigrants.

Days later, the board reversed its decision amid accusations that the move was anti-Hispanic.

(Copyright 2006 by The Associated Press. All Rights Reserved.)
    So what do you think of this? I just can't believe how ppl take the'ye religion so serious, and to such extreme. Such small minded-ness. The Wicca religion is no more evil then islam or christanity. These bible thumpers make me so mad.

"There's a mountain of evidence for keeping Harry Potter," she said, adding that the books don't support any particular religion but present instead universal themes of friendship and overcoming adversity.
    I guess Laura Mallory missed that point. Hahah, i guess if you dress up as harry potter you get no candy at her house. Wait, i bet shes against haloween.

Thanks for the memories princesslady may be famous one day princesslady may be famous one day princesslady's Avatar
    Thanks
    THATS SO STUPID!!!!!!!!!!!!
    why ban harry poter books cuz of witches and mess? then ban all the other goosebumps books and other halloween and scary books if you want. thats dumb in my opinon. thats going to far.

Born to rule, raised to lead, taught to establish: The African Queen

Otaku Chubz may be famous one day Chubz may be famous one day Chubz's Avatar
    Thanks
    Ugh....some people are so close-minded. I can't believe the part about not allowing spanish books because illegal immigrants could read it. Like...who gave them a monopoly over who gets to read and who can't? I don't see that as slowing down illegal immigrants in any way.

As for the part about Harry Potter, I don't think the board should listen to this Laura Mallory..first off, she's just a single person, so her views should in no way trample the ability for other children to read what they want. If she is against Harry Potter, then she has the right to stop her kids from reading it, but she has no right telling the school board to completely drop the books.

You have to wonder about the community though, when the residents sit around and complain about taxpayer money possibly allowing illegal immigrants to read, or complaining about witches in literature. They must think electricity is the work of the devil or something.....

Many Thanks To SasuraiHell For The Sig!

~jUsT sMiLe~ _gwenibe_ may be famous one day _gwenibe_ may be famous one day _gwenibe_'s Avatar
    Thanks
    Couldn't that be classified as forcing a religion onto another? Just because she believe's it's bad for kids for religous reasons doesn't mean everyone does.

Newbie Avenara may be famous one day Avenara may be famous one day
    Thanks
    So what do you think of this? I just can't believe how ppl take the'ye religion so serious, and to such extreme. Such small minded-ness. The Wicca religion is no more evil then islam or christanity. These bible thumpers make me so mad.
    *She chuckles* Well, not all of us are bad. I'm a church going Roman Catholic, but I read the Harry Potter series. So has my Nana, in fact. I don't see how any of it ties into the Wiccan Religion anyway. It's just fantasy style magic from what I can tell...good series too I might add.

Otaku Othello may be famous one day Othello may be famous one day Othello's Avatar
    Between the reaches of ones heart, mind and soul...where only a small light lingers.
    Thanks
    I vote harry potter? i dunno who or what the first one is @_@

Lady Barronmore Arrianna has become well known Arrianna has become well known Arrianna has become well known Arrianna's Avatar
    Thanks
    Readers choose Harry Potter as favorite controversial title

Banned Books Week"Once again, the Harry Potter books feature on this year's list of most-banned books. As this puts me in the company of Harper Lee, Mark Twain, J. D. Salinger, William Golding, John Steinbeck and other writers I revere, I have always taken my annual inclusion on the list as a great honour. "Every burned book enlightens the world." - Ralph Waldo Emerson"
    -JK Rowling

I don't think she minds.

l Stone Hold l Now We're Cooking! l Thanks to Kaos for the awesome sig!

I'm all ears. Hassun has disabled reputation
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Arrianna View Post
    Readers choose Harry Potter as favorite controversial title

Banned Books Week"Once again, the Harry Potter books feature on this year's list of most-banned books. As this puts me in the company of Harper Lee, Mark Twain, J. D. Salinger, William Golding, John Steinbeck and other writers I revere, I have always taken my annual inclusion on the list as a great honour. "Every burned book enlightens the world." - Ralph Waldo Emerson"
    -JK Rowling

I don't think she minds.
    Of course she doesn't she's swimming in the

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast