+ Reply to Thread
Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast

Thread: Learning a language

~ beri-chan ~ hamu-hamu may be famous one day hamu-hamu may be famous one day hamu-hamu's Avatar
    Thanks

Re: Learning a language

No matter how many ways i see it, its surprising to see people who are asians and find chinese hard to learn.
    Some reason, to me japanese seems easier to learn. Is that suppose to be strange?...

Shichibukai JefferyXie may be famous one day JefferyXie may be famous one day JefferyXie's Avatar
    Thanks

Hamu Hamu,i don't think dat finding another language easier 2 learn is strange.i think it applies 2 lots of ppl.

God's Little Girl blue_rebel may be famous one day blue_rebel may be famous one day blue_rebel's Avatar
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by hamu-hamu View Post
    No matter how many ways i see it, its surprising to see people who are asians and find chinese hard to learn.
    Some reason, to me japanese seems easier to learn. Is that suppose to be strange?...
    Different people, different preferences.
    I stopped attending Mandarin classes after a year because I couldn't cope. For some reason nothing went into my head and I remained Mandarin-illiterate. I can *sort of* understand some simple sentences, but I can't speak the language for nuts. Japanese is easier to learn because of anime. Obviously, if you take an interest in a certain language, it becomes easier to learn. But anime is far more popular than Chinese shows.... so yeah. You get my point.

Otaku eleonne has disabled reputation eleonne's Avatar
    Thanks

Learning a new language for me also hard, but I guess it's because I never really tried. I believe that for a person to learn a language easier, one has to expose himself to the language itself, such as live in a place where the language is spoken or watch a lot of shows with the language as the medium. When attending classes, the language taught has to be taught effectively for it to be learned. Take me for example: I have studied in a Chinese school for most of my life, and I have still yet to learn to fully speak and understand the language. All that I have learned are the basics such as "I", "you", "thank you", "sorry", etc. I think I know more Japanese words than Chinese from watching Anime.

This happened because when I entered the school, the Chinese teachers ASSUMED that all the students already understoodd the language, ASSUMING that all students have spoken it already at homes since all students were Chinese (well, almost). I guess they have good reason to assume those since all my classmates did already speak and understand the language, but as for me, we didn't speak it at home, so I understood no Chinese at all. I felt like a total alien in my class...

So, what was left for them to teach to the students? Oh, just enhancing their Chinese skills such as listening activities and that stuff, of which of course, I understood very little or none at all. At first I tried, but when it was to no avail, I just gave up. It is to this reason my fear of Chinese speaking people started. Chinese teachers knew I didn't understand. While some were kind, some weren't exactly considerate to my special case. Whenever my attention is called or when I'm asked to stand up for recitation, as expected, I have no answer, I couldn't even tell if the teacher is scolding at me, angry with me or something.. I just couldn't understand a thing! I just felt so dumb.

Ok, this is to just share my experience with learning a language, Chinese to be exact - I felt I have wasted so much time of my life atending those classes, even going through the feeling of being nervous and afraid. I hate those recitation times, especially. I am simply thankful for those students who are active in class, who keep answering the teachers' questions. Because of them, I don't get noticed. Now, I am glad, relieved, that in College, I don't have to attend Chinese classes anymore. Hooray!!!

Otaku toonfan630 may be famous one day toonfan630 may be famous one day
    Thanks

I have been studying French for about 4 years now. If I go to France I could be able to write stuff down or talk to people but I would be sort of like a 2nd grader Frenchman do to my grammer mistakes. So, about 4 years and you'll be able to get around. As for getting rusty, if you do it will get easier to learn when you start again.
    "We are all in the gutter, but some of us are looking at the stars." Oscar Wilde.

Leave me and my simple sig alone. I like it. ^o^

Newbie Kai_Blackwolf may be famous one day Kai_Blackwolf may be famous one day Kai_Blackwolf's Avatar
    Thanks

im learning italian, and i think its easy, my cousins are italians, though i dont know how because im not. i understand what they say without even thinking back to lessons.
    Blackness covers all I see and all I touch. No feeling of pain, just sorrow. My hand loses grip of the sword I held. And I turn to become a true shadow.

God's Little Girl blue_rebel may be famous one day blue_rebel may be famous one day blue_rebel's Avatar
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Kai_Blackwolf View Post
    im learning italian, and i think its easy, my cousins are italians, though i dont know how because im not. i understand what they say without even thinking back to lessons.
    Yeah, it's easier when there are people around you who constantly speak a certain language. A lot of Chinese kids don't actually take formal lessons in Chinese, but we grow up knowing how to speak Chinese dialects anyway because our family members speak them.

Well, your parents are not their parents, so if one of their parents is Italian they'd be half-Italian, no? Unless you mean that they reside in Italy... which is a different thing. I think 90% of my cousins are mixed-bloods, on both my mum's and my dad's side. There are Aussie-Chinese, Welsh-Chinese, English-Chinese and Chinese-American. I feel kind of... inferior, since my sisters and I are pure Chinese. But it's fun having cousins who look different and speak different. By talking to them, I can *sort of* pick up their slang. At least I'll be more comfortable in the States next fall. ^^;;

Sophist of Satire Exoparadapsyphobia may be famous one day Exoparadapsyphobia may be famous one day Exoparadapsyphobia's Avatar
    Thanks

As of now I'm enrolled in a Spanish basics class and I'm starting to hate it with a passion . I'm finding allot of the rules and words in it to be completely ridiculous.
    Death is your most loyal companion, for he will never fail you.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast