+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Life in the Third Person!

Otaku Luminous is off to a good start
    Thanks

Life in the Third Person!

Hmm..I'm not really sure if this is Cyber Lounge-y or Sensory Pleasures-y, but I'll stick with this for now.

I was reading an article a couple months ago in PC Gamer about an artist who designed a machine to emulate what it would be like to live life in the third person. That is, he sort of made a set-up where a camera was attached behind him, and sort of looking down on him. The video from the camera is then fed into an LCD of sorts, which is attached to your eyes. Basically, all you see is what the camera looking from behind you sees.

Here's a video of the rig in action. Yes, it's just like World of Warcraft, only you are the character!

Anyways, I think the paragraph attached with the video brought up an interesting question for ponderance.

The virtual communities created by online games have provided us with a new medium for social interaction and communication. Avatar Machine is a system which replicates the aesthetics and visuals of third person gaming, allowing the user to view themselves as a virtual character in real space via a head mounted interface. The system potentially allows for a diminished sense of social responsibility, and could lead the user to demonstrate behaviors normally reserved for the gaming environment.
    What I'm interested in is all of your opinions on that last sentance or anything related. If you saw your whole life from a third person view, would you be more outgoing? More rediculous? Less morally accountable?(Since it would feel less like yourself, and more like someone playing a game character). Would you walk funny? The other hitch to this device is that it covers your face, so it preserves the feeling that you are truly anonymous as well. Would you more of a jerk if this were to happen? Would you be the same?

Anyways, I'm curious as to how the forum-goers that be would act or change if you could live life in the third person, or if you lived life in the third person, and nobody could see your face? All answers are correct, so feel free to go nuts!

NalaMidnight Eggs Champion P.R. Princess may be famous one day P.R. Princess may be famous one day P.R. Princess's Avatar
    Thanks

Re: Life in the Third Person!

that sounds pretty cool. but for me i would rather be in the first person. I just feel like if i was in third person i wouldn't feel those same feelings that you normally would. like yea you think its cute to see your self kiss someone but its not the same as actually closing your eyes and feeling it.
    I dont know i think i would rather be in the first person.

~Falling in love one step at a time~
    ~ MYSPACE~AWESOME PLACE TO SAVE~

Ikorose Shinsō Silverskater145 is a hero here Silverskater145 is a hero here Silverskater145 is a hero here Silverskater145 is a hero here Silverskater145 is a hero here Silverskater145 is a hero here Silverskater145 is a hero here Silverskater145 is a hero here Silverskater145 is a hero here Silverskater145 is a hero here Silverskater145 is a hero here Silverskater145's Avatar
    Thanks

You make it seem as if something is supposed to dramatically change. Living in 3rd person is no different, except now you look like some sort of an idiot with a camera behind you. It'd be fun to play with and test for an hour or so, but not livable.

Now give me a video game that acts like .hack, which sends us into some "world," and then we'll talk.

NalaMidnight Eggs Champion P.R. Princess may be famous one day P.R. Princess may be famous one day P.R. Princess's Avatar
    Thanks

mm i can see what you mean. i dont know i just dont think it would really be the same though.

but yea i do agree with .hack. .lol. ^^

~Falling in love one step at a time~
    ~ MYSPACE~AWESOME PLACE TO SAVE~

Legendary Otaku Happy Pill Champion, Monkey Mayhem Champion NeoDeath90 may be famous one day NeoDeath90 may be famous one day NeoDeath90's Avatar
    Thanks

that would be interesting. im a bit intimidated by the physical problems aspect of the device.

but yes, the .hack idea sounds like the best so far, but this is certainly a small step towards that.
    Why hello there!

Newbie soulidiumgirl is off to a good start soulidiumgirl's Avatar
    Thanks

I actually find this to be a bit interesting. Seeing myself in the third person would be odd. I think that as with everything else, it would take some adjustments. If it were me in that position, I believe I would be clumsy at first, but then my brain would adjust. Just as with the experiment with the glasses that put a woman’s world upside down, she had to adjust to the newness of it but within a few days her brain adjusted. What I don’t see is how it would change my mood, or anyone’s mood for that matter. Unless someone were to get highly agitated, by seeing their self in the third person all the time.

-snickers- I think that if I looked like an idiot running around with a camera following me all the time then that alone would be enough for me to not want to try this.

Poultry Projectile Cannon Scourge is making a name for themselves Scourge is making a name for themselves Scourge's Avatar
    Thanks

I don't see it really changing anything as its really you and you are aware of this so I think for the most part people will not change. *ponders for a bit* I wonder if I can get a few of these things and adjust the camera and get all my friends to gather and have a real life Command and Conquer RTS experience with paint ball guns.

Otaku Luminous is off to a good start
    Thanks

I don't see it really changing anything as its really you and you are aware of this so I think for the most part people will not change.
    Ah, well, I believe the theory behind it is that the person in question would feel less morally responsible, since they would feel less of a personal connection to their actions(Since they aren't necesarrily seeing it from their view). it sort of relates to how we act in video games. For example, in a first person shooter you can sometimes feel like you're 'really there', while in third person you don't have as much of a connection to the character. Now, whether that would translate to real life or not, is sort of the debatable question. I suppose it would differ from person to person.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast