+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: A man was beaten to death in my town.

Otaku Stickicide 2 Champion starfire1036 is making a name for themselves starfire1036 is making a name for themselves starfire1036's Avatar
    Thanks

Re: A man was beaten to death in my town.

Quote Originally Posted by Joe Mage View Post
    Starfire, I hope that an outcome reveals itself 'fore anymore bloodshed could, possibly, happen. I've lived in racist town 'fore myself and I understand ur passion bout this, but if I've learned anythin' bout situations like this is... U can' expect things ta happen overnight. U could very well b correct in ur assement bout nothin' bein' done or it could very well b that they simply don' have enough evidence ta make the arrest. 'Til the outcome reveals itself, it'll remain "up in the air" as ta what'll happen next. However, if u and the victim's family feel that there is a lack of progress in the investigation, the family of the victim can make an appeal ta have an outside, impartial investigation of the murder done. This would put the investigation inta Federal hands and the FBI could b called in ta investigate, but, however, that's up ta the victim's family. I can only hope that a resolution ta this tragedy will find itself soon and that the Perpetrators r brought ta justice.
    BY LESLIE RICHARDSON
    STAFF WRITER
    [email protected]
    Published: Wednesday, July 16, 2008 8:42 AM EDT
    SHENANDOAH — Luis Ramirez’s death was ruled a homicide Tuesday by Montour County Coroner Scott Lynn, who conducted an autopsy earlier that afternoon.

Ramirez, 25, of Shenandoah, died of blunt force head trauma, Lynn said, but officials and members of the Hispanic community are still unsure what prompted a group of juveniles to allegedly attack Ramirez on Saturday.
    Officials were still interviewing suspects Tuesday and no charges had been filed.
    “I don’t believe it was a racial or hate crime,” borough Manager Joseph Palubinsky said Tuesday. “It was unfortunate the individual lost his life and the rest of the individuals’ lives will be affected for the rest of their lives. It is incomprehensible that things like this could happen. This is a small town and things like this aren’t supposed to happen."
    Ramirez, 15 N. Main St., died at 6:30 a.m. Monday at Geisinger Medical Center, Danville, where he was taken for treatment after suffering severe head injuries in the altercation near Vine Street Park on Saturday night, Shenandoah police Lt. William Moyer said. One witness who lives near the scene of the crime said she heard someone yelling, “You tell all your Mexican friends to get out of town.”
    Micky Singh, head of the Diversity Council of Schuylkill County, was unaware of the incident until Tuesday morning.
    “As of now I am just speechless. This is the first time anything like this has happened since I have been involved in the council.”
    After a meeting later Tuesday afternoon, Singh said the Diversity Council decided to watch the situation closely before taking a stance on the matter.
    “All we know so far is speculation and before jumping the gun, we want to know all the facts,” Singh said. “If you jump the gun before knowing the whole story, you could create more division.”
    Flor Gomez said a number of Hispanic families have moved to Shenandoah from larger cities because they feel it is a safe community, one in which they would like to raise their children.
    “Personally, I feel safe. I don’t want to say it was racial. I am hoping it is not racial,” Gomez said. “Things happen everywhere where little kids call each other names. It goes with being a kid. You just hope it doesn’t go any further than that.”
    Gomez said there is diversity in Shenandoah, not only between Hispanics and non-Hispanics but in the Hispanic culture itself.
    “There are different races within the Hispanic culture just like the American culture. There could be people of three or four descents considered Hispanic all living in Shenandoah and not everyone gets along. But that is just people in general. Not everyone gets along.”
    Gomez was not aware of any plans being made by the Hispanic community to address the event.
    “We are all hoping this was just one incident,” she said.
    Ramirez was a father of three who was in the U.S. illegally and had ties to Mexico. Palubinsky said there is no way of knowing how many illegal immigrants reside in the borough, but doesn’t believe the fact that Ramirez was an illegal immigrant made any difference to the people who beat him.
    “We are dealing with rumors and assumptions. We don’t know what actually happened until the police complete the investigation,” Palubinsky said.
    Mayor Joseph O’Neill Jr. also believed the beating was an isolated incident.
    “I don’t believe it was any major thing against Hispanics,” O’Neill said Tuesday. “I don’t believe it was gang activity and I hope it was an accident. I don’t believe any group of young people could do this intentionally.”
    O’Neill also said he believes the police department handled the situation professionally.
    “I believe they are doing the best the can and they have asked for assistance with this which I think is a good thing,” O’Neill said. “They are conducting interviews and will re-interview when those interviews are completed. At this point they are trying to get the correct information.”
    O’Neill said he has lived in the borough 47 years and does not believe it is unsafe.
    “We have the same problems they have in every town,” O’Neill said. “I don’t think the problems are isolated to Shenandoah.”
    O’Neill said there is a greater population of Hispanics in the borough than a few years ago and there may be a greater number than in other towns, but he doesn’t believe there is a great conflict between ethnic groups.
    Moyer, the investigating officer, said in the 11 years he has been on the police force, he has never witnessed what he would consider a hate crime.
    “I have heard people refer to different ethnic groups by name from time to time,” Moyer said. “All ethnic groups, not just Mexicans or other Hispanics. (his son might just well be one of the kids involed)." Moyer said he does not think the incident Saturday is tied to race or that either group would consider retaliation.
    “I think this was an unfortunate incident and I don’t think people have to be afraid or worry it will happen again,” he said.
    MOD EDIT --- Don't do this again.
    Last edited by aceman67; Jul 18, 2008 at 12:51 PM.

Otaku ron119125 is off to a good start ron119125's Avatar
    Thanks

Starfire things like this happen and for the first few days things can seem like they are going no where. Give it time things will come out in the open most people are good at heart and something like this is hard to cover up. Someone involved will come foward to do the right thing or someone that saw something will get up the courage to give information to the police and things will start to come together. Just hang in there things will get better if you need to talk pm me I am hear to listen. Hang in there.

Mage of Eternity Joe Mage is making a name for themselves Joe Mage is making a name for themselves Joe Mage's Avatar
    Thanks

U jus' wound up provin' my point Starfire, they don' know the whole story and most likely don' have enough evidence ta make an arrest. It doesn' matter if they know who the perpetrators r, if they don' have the evidence ta make an arrest... then there is little that they can do. It could b that they r inept, incompetent, or simply bias; but from what I've read of ur article, this is may not b the case. However, I do stand by what I've said 'fore, if the victim's family believes that investigators r not handlin' the case properly, then they can appeal ta have the investigation handled by outside authorities. If they're havin' trouble wit that route, then there r other avenues which they can try, like the national news media. By makin' a national appeal, they could strengthen their stance on havin" an impartial, outside authority investigate this crime.

Sanity doesn't exist, it's just an excuse cooked up by crazy people to justify their actions. My myspace page: www.myspace.com/joemage

Otaku Cruisin with crush Champion, Animal Rescue Champion abby724 is off to a good start abby724's Avatar
    Thanks

Nothing being done about it? As in, the investigators aren't really trying to rack up evidence against those charged?

Well, just be happy you don't live in Los Angeles. AKA, the "City of Angels", "LA", or, "Gang Capital of the World".
    GALERIE : Limited Internet access for certain reasons...

Otaku Stickicide 2 Champion starfire1036 is making a name for themselves starfire1036 is making a name for themselves starfire1036's Avatar
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by abby724 View Post
    Nothing being done about it? As in, the investigators aren't really trying to rack up evidence against those charged?

Well, just be happy you don't live in Los Angeles. AKA, the "City of Angels", "LA", or, "Gang Capital of the World".
    ok here is the thing. They arrested the kids the same night but Moyer (father of one) sent them home... Now they are in Harrisburg. the police arent doing anything and so far the story hasn't been on the news in 3 days. Threats are being made by other football players that if the cancel football season there is going to be a price to pay....

Newbie Dark Wings is off to a good start Dark Wings's Avatar
    Thanks

wow there was also a man in my town that was beaten but he was almost dead, luckely the ambulance came to get him

Thanks

wow there was also a man in my town that was beaten but he was almost dead, luckely the ambulance came to get him
    they called lifelight while he was still alive and canceled it too explain that?

tonights the night of the fireworks in our town and im not allowed to go becauseof this event they think that there is gunna be a big fight hispanics are getting revenge and the town is in an uproar
    they are covering this up and they are getting pissed. obviously if i never log on again then yea something happened.

Mage of Eternity Joe Mage is making a name for themselves Joe Mage is making a name for themselves Joe Mage's Avatar
    Thanks

Well I'll hope and pray for ur safety, hopefully that will not happen. I'd hate ta c more bloodshed happenin' and they may have cancelled the lifelight cause he may have already passed and they were unable ta revive him. It's possible, but if the victim's family suspects foul play; they r far from powerless. There r many things that they can do ta deal wit this situation and make sure that Justice is served w/o havin' ta resort ta violence.

Sanity doesn't exist, it's just an excuse cooked up by crazy people to justify their actions. My myspace page: www.myspace.com/joemage

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast