+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Manga or Comics? The Great Debate.

Newbie D4RK Joker is off to a good start D4RK Joker's Avatar
    Thanks

Manga or Comics? The Great Debate.

I have frends that read manga and some that read comic books. I've found that the ones that read comics hate manga and the ones that read manga stay away from capes. Why is it that these two art forms can't get along? Or is it just my frends?

Banned aceman67 has become well known aceman67 has become well known aceman67 has become well known aceman67's Avatar
    Thanks

Re: Manga or Comics? The Great Debate.

I read both.

Right now I'm following Ultimate Comics Spider-Man, the follow up to Ultimate Spider-Man after the Ultimatum Mini Series, and Ultimate Comics X, a comic following the story of Wolverine's Son after
     click to show spoiler
    during the Ultimatum mini-series.

Before that, I read the entirety of both Ultimate Spider-Man (133 issues), And Ultimate X-Men (100 Issues).

But I also read a lot of manga.

I own the hard copies of the Complete Azumanga Daioh (4 volumes), Ai Yori Aoshi (17 Volumes), all current Neon Genesis Evangelion (11 volumes), I'm missing the last volume of Full Metal Panic (8 volumes out of 9). And after I get back to work, I have every intention of buying the rest of Chobits (I have 3 out of 8 volumes), Love Hina (2 out of 14 volumes), Tsubasa: Reservoir Chronicle (4 out of 23 volumes), and several others I've been collecting for years.

There is no reason why one cannot be a fan of one and not the other. To say that one is better then the other is shear idiocy, as ones opinion on the matter is just that, someone's opinion which only matters to that person alone.

Comics and Manga come from two different cultures, and honestly, that doesn't matter, since they are exactly the same thing: Pictures pieced together to form a cohesive story bound together in a printed book.

And comics here in north america aren't all super heroes with long capes and super powers, let me introduce you to a man named Frank Miller, whose works like Sin City and 300 are anything but. Going back to the super-heroes, let me introduce you to Alan Moore and his cult classic Watchmen which defied and spat in the face of what was seen as the traditional Super Hero.

The argument about which is better is moot, since both appeal different groups of people and cultures, and there is a alot of them who love both, myself included among them.

To me, there is no argument. Both are valid forms of art. Both stand equal.

But that's my opinion.

3. The Following User Says Thank You to aceman67 For This Useful Post:

Jokerman (Sep 02, 2010)

Newbie Nocturne is off to a good start Nocturne's Avatar
    Hidin' in your windows, snatchn' your people up.
    Thanks

I love both comics and manga. It really depends what type of series I'm looking for. If I want to read a psychological horror type ,science fiction, or a realistic down to earth series I prefer manga. Eg: Uzumaki, 20th Century Boys, Monster, Bartender, etc. They always end the series with me feeling good about reading it. Mangas make me feel disturbed when reading a horror series, or end up being thought provoking.

When it comes to characters that have special powers, or fight crime (super heroes or vigilantes a like) I enjoy comics more. There something about reading Batman, V for Vendetta, Watchmen,Captain America, The Runaways, Spider-man and all the other comics that's special to me. I can't feel that awesomeness when reading a lot of manga that are similar.Even if the manga is really well done, it will never compare to how awesome reading Batman comics are in my opinion.

Orochimaru Fangirl ♥ | MMO Junkie

Grouchy Old Anime Otaku LenMiyata has become well known LenMiyata has become well known LenMiyata has become well known LenMiyata's Avatar
    Thanks

Grumble Grumble Grumble

Now I wonder what both sides would think of the Manga/Anime series called 'Heroman', which is written by Stan Lee of Marvel Comics fame...

Heroman - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
    http://disney-studio.jp/heroman/
    FAVOURITE THREADS EXPLAIN why, or risk an infraction.
    Rantings of a Grouchy Old Anime Otaku

Newbie D4RK Joker is off to a good start D4RK Joker's Avatar
    Thanks

There heads whould blow up man. To think the one and only Stan "The Man " Lee made a manga. Thank you I have to tell them about this.

Leave me alone, fanboys! rematche is making a name for themselves rematche is making a name for themselves rematche's Avatar
    Thanks

geez...i consider this "debate" a void since mangas and comics are both the same. it's just the languages are different. it's just those damned fanboys making things chaotic for everyone else.
    YYYEEEEAAAAAAHHHHH!!!

Mathematical!! Bugz Champion, Ant Bully Champion, Chainsaw the childern Champion, 3D Net Blazer Champion, Cricket Challenge Champion, Big Uglies Champion, Body Check Champion, Desktop Fishing Champion, All Star Skate Park Champion, Chuckie Egg Champion, Birdy Champion, Anthrax Jelly Champion, Air Typer Champion, Word Pads Champion, Crash Test Dummy Curling Champion, The Mini Jump Game Champion, Chairlift Challenge Champion, Astroboy vs One Bad Storm Champion, Fight Man Champion, Blot In Hell Champion, Beeku Adventure Champion, Connect2 Champion, Atomica Champion, Cannonball Follies 2 Champion, Bada Boing Champion, BeachDefence Champion, Alkie Kong 2 Champion atomik_sprout has become well known atomik_sprout has become well known atomik_sprout has become well known atomik_sprout's Avatar
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by rematche View Post
    geez...i consider this "debate" a void since mangas and comics are both the same. it's just the languages are different. it's just those damned fanboys making things chaotic for everyone else.
    I agree. I personally love both! I got both manga AND comics during free comic book day a couple/few months back. Nothing like free stuff. ^_^

(I'm wearing a cape and a karate gi while I'm typing this, LOL.)

I grew up reading comics. I always wanted to publish my own. Now, I draw manga, which is a comic book--just with a different drawing style. They're both pretty much equal in my eyes. I haven't had the chance to read much of either lately. Hopefully, that will change though.

9. The Following User Says Thank You to atomik_sprout For This Useful Post:

Jokerman (Sep 02, 2010)

The Joker Reincarnate Curveball Champion Jokerman may be famous one day Jokerman's Avatar
    Thanks

I used to feel that there is an argument, but there isn't. Aceman67 had it right. I like both as well. I ALSO am into more than the Superhero genre (even though I love it and I just finished the 'Seige' storyline of Marvel not too long ago and I miss Norman Osbourne and can't wait for his limited series to come out.) I also enjoy The Walking Dead, and I want to get into Daytripper, Scott Pilgrim vs. The World and The Sword.

I think it's a matter of opinion. Manga offers more fight scenes where Comics sort of lack it and focus more on storyline. But I kind of do lack in my manga collection. I know I want to get into Soul Eater, Neon Genesis Evangelion and get more of the earlier volumes of One Piece
    Last edited by Jokerman; Sep 02, 2010 at 04:47 PM.

I believe…whatever doesn't kill you simply makes you…stranger.
    Jokerman's Twitter Page: www.twitter.com/JokermanUno
    Thanx Shin Ryuga!!!!

11. The Following User Says Thank You to Jokerman For This Useful Post:

atomik_sprout (Sep 03, 2010)

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast