+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast
Results 1 to 8 of 31

Thread: Martial Arts and You

  1. #1
    Newbie Kenshinzen is off to a good start Kenshinzen's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Location
    Shiro no Kakita...also known as England.
    Posts
    78
    Thanks
    0
    Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts

    Martial Arts and You

    I've just picked up doing Aikido, and I'm looking at a few other 'arts' to try and get into. I find it healthy and exciting, but above all else: fun. That, and its also linked to a common item of this forum: Japan and the Far East.
    So, my question is, does anyone else here have an interest in the Martial Arts, and if so which ones do you do?
    House Hermit No.1 - Thankyou, may I ahve another?

  2. #2
    Slam Dunk Da Funk Soshi Kitai is making a name for themselves Soshi Kitai is making a name for themselves Soshi Kitai's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Location
    Inbetween stuff.
    Posts
    1,414
    Thanks
    19
    Thanked 67 Times in 55 Posts

    Re: Martial Arts and You

    ...well, I did do Mantis for a while. (stupid dojo friggin' 2 hours there, and 4 hours back)
    Abu did Aikido because I encouraged her to. (Ueshiba Morihei is an amazing man)
    I was trained a bit on... (shush Naruto fans, go to your corner) Ninjutsu, and a bit of Nin-po.

    I learned some Tai Chi from my bro. I trained myself on some Qui Gong. I studied some Hapkido and Jujutsu.


    An old friend of mine did Tae Kwon Do. ( HAHAHAHAA!!! )




    But I learned my interest and discipline in all those arts weren't as strong as they would be.
    I believe it was because I was RARELY taught any spiritual sense by any teachers... and to me, that's more important.



    ... I created/creating Kitsune for myself.
    To work with the way I fight and how my diet is.


    To me, fighting is the same as all things. All things can say something about you, it can even say something about the other things you do.
    I'm more of a meditator and a philosopher... and just the same as those, my fighting style is rather contemplative rather than aggressive.



    ...but... if I happen to get excited (Abu remembers being on the receiving-end of this) or extremely angry, I tend to... lose control.
    I'm more of an animal when it comes to down-and-dirty fighting. Instinct and irrationality. (FYI: Like an animal, there's no such thing as a "fist" .... all claws and fangs baby! )

  3. #3
    Devoted Otaku Shodokan may be famous one day Shodokan may be famous one day Shodokan's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Location
    Texas
    Posts
    962
    Thanks
    1
    Thanked 1 Time in 1 Post

    Re: Martial Arts and You

    I also do Aikido. Shodokan style to be exact. What style of Aikido do you practice?

    Quote Originally Posted by Soshi Kitai View Post
    ...well, I did do Mantis for a while. (stupid dojo friggin' 2 hours there, and 4 hours back)
    Abu did Aikido because I encouraged her to. (Ueshiba Morihei is an amazing man)
    I was trained a bit on... (shush Naruto fans, go to your corner) Ninjutsu, and a bit of Nin-po.

    I learned some Tai Chi from my bro. I trained myself on some Qui Gong. I studied some Hapkido and Jujutsu.


    An old friend of mine did Tae Kwon Do. ( HAHAHAHAA!!! )




    But I learned my interest and discipline in all those arts weren't as strong as they would be.
    I believe it was because I was RARELY taught any spiritual sense by any teachers... and to me, that's more important.



    ... I created/creating Kitsune for myself.
    To work with the way I fight and how my diet is.


    To me, fighting is the same as all things. All things can say something about you, it can even say something about the other things you do.
    I'm more of a meditator and a philosopher... and just the same as those, my fighting style is rather contemplative rather than aggressive.



    ...but... if I happen to get excited (Abu remembers being on the receiving-end of this) or extremely angry, I tend to... lose control.
    I'm more of an animal when it comes to down-and-dirty fighting. Instinct and irrationality. (FYI: Like an animal, there's no such thing as a "fist" .... all claws and fangs baby! )
    Soshi Kitai I know this is you. But you realize this spirtiuality nonsense you're talking about won't stop me or anyone else from beating you to a pulp. And it also seems that you think going into a blind rage will make up for lack of ability.
    ____________________________________________

  4. #4
    Otaku Meji Imaru may be famous one day Meji Imaru may be famous one day Meji Imaru's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    Why do you want to know this....
    Posts
    342
    Thanks
    0
    Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts

    Re: Martial Arts and You

    I took up karate but, I've given it up for a while since I'm working and got real busy as of late. I recommend Tang Soo Do though. Its pretty fun, I learned how to actually fight ^_^


  5. #5
    Slam Dunk Da Funk Soshi Kitai is making a name for themselves Soshi Kitai is making a name for themselves Soshi Kitai's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Location
    Inbetween stuff.
    Posts
    1,414
    Thanks
    19
    Thanked 67 Times in 55 Posts

    Re: Martial Arts and You

    Quote Originally Posted by Shodokan View Post
    Soshi Kitai I know this is you. But you realize this spirtiuality nonsense you're talking about won't stop me or anyone else from beating you to a pulp. And it also seems that you think going into a blind rage will make up for lack of ability.
    I never said it stops people. I don't get into fights, and I would never aim to.
    I love spiritual studies, a meaning for life and understanding of things is much more important than fighting for me.

    And also, first off, it's not blind rage when it comes to excitement. (It would for anger, though)
    I was trained to aim for vitals, I don't believe in beating to a pulp when it comes to fighting... I don't think fighting is a needed thing at all, even self defense can be avoided all together through other methods than fighting. However, killing is more needed than fighting.
    Because of that, I get carried away. No more sparring at that point, and that's a heavy weakness for me.
    Second, it doesn't make up for lack of ability, I'm just stating I have a "fight" instead of "flight" instinct. ...in fact, it makes my lack of ability worse.


    As far as I've known the only man that has supposedly been recorded to dodge a bullet was Ueshiba Morihei, in that sense, a gun would still be considered fair in a fight. And in that sense, I'd prefer a gun and taser to my bare hands.

    ...geez, sound so macho-macho, Shodokan.

    (In the end, I don't use martial arts as a way to fight... it's the same as an artwork or a past-time for me...
    As for self-defense, I'm sticking to specific self-defense classes and gun-classes)
    Last edited by Soshi Kitai; Aug 24, 2007 at 10:30 PM.

  6. #6
    Newbie hendo24 is off to a good start
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Location
    England
    Posts
    51
    Thanks
    0
    Thanked 1 Time in 1 Post

    Re: Martial Arts and You

    Ok sorry if this doesnt have much bearing on the topic on hand but im from england and as for martial arts thier is a SEVERE lack of it in the area i live! i did the whole karate phase when i was small but it never gripped me and the only other places to train here are kick boxing and boxing! as for the spiritual side of things most english people give me a gone out look when i bring it up if anyone had any suggestions im not looking to train so i can run out and fight people seeing as ive managed to last 18 years without a fight as such! if anyone might have any suggections id be most thankfull

  7. #7
    Devoted Otaku Shodokan may be famous one day Shodokan may be famous one day Shodokan's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Location
    Texas
    Posts
    962
    Thanks
    1
    Thanked 1 Time in 1 Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Soshi Kitai View Post
    I never said it stops people. I don't get into fights, and I would never aim to.
    I love spiritual studies, a meaning for life and understanding of things is much more important than fighting for me.

    And also, first off, it's not blind rage when it comes to excitement. (It would for anger, though)
    I was trained to aim for vitals, I don't believe in beating to a pulp when it comes to fighting... I don't think fighting is a needed thing at all, even self defense can be avoided all together through other methods than fighting. However, killing is more needed than fighting.
    Because of that, I get carried away. No more sparring at that point, and that's a heavy weakness for me.
    Second, it doesn't make up for lack of ability, I'm just stating I have a "fight" instead of "flight" instinct. ...in fact, it makes my lack of ability worse.


    As far as I've known the only man that has supposedly been recorded to dodge a bullet was Ueshiba Morihei, in that sense, a gun would still be considered fair in a fight. And in that sense, I'd prefer a gun and taser to my bare hands.

    ...geez, sound so macho-macho, Shodokan.

    (In the end, I don't use martial arts as a way to fight... it's the same as an artwork or a past-time for me...
    As for self-defense, I'm sticking to specific self-defense classes and gun-classes)
    Fighting dirty also doesn't make up for lack of ability either. Fight dirty against any trained fighter/martial artist and you'll lose just the same.

    Theres nothing wrong with your opinion that fighting isn't really needed but you need to realize killing if part of fighting. In doesn't matter if people fight to kill or to maim or simply to hurt. Fighting is Fighting. At least in this particular conversation.

    Skill is important even in armed combat. Be it a gun, spear, or sword. I'm no soldier but I realize that markmanship is an important part of armed combat in the modern era.

    Martial Arts roughly translate as "war skill"

    mar·tial
    –adjective
    1. inclined or disposed to war; warlike: The ancient Romans were a martial people.

    2. of, suitable for, or associated with war or the armed forces: martial music.

    3. characteristic of or befitting a warrior: a martial stride.


    art
    –noun
    1. the principles or methods governing any craft or branch of learning: the art of baking; the art of selling.

    2. skill in conducting any human activity: a master at the art of conversation.

    3. skilled workmanship, execution, or agency, as distinguished from nature.
    Martial Arts are generally macho macho activity. Women who are good at it are considered "amazons" and unwomanly.

    Quote Originally Posted by hendo24 View Post
    Ok sorry if this doesnt have much bearing on the topic on hand but im from england and as for martial arts thier is a SEVERE lack of it in the area i live! i did the whole karate phase when i was small but it never gripped me and the only other places to train here are kick boxing and boxing! as for the spiritual side of things most english people give me a gone out look when i bring it up if anyone had any suggestions im not looking to train so i can run out and fight people seeing as ive managed to last 18 years without a fight as such! if anyone might have any suggections id be most thankfull
    Kickboxing and boxing are martial arts. If you want something Asian take Judo. Where do you live? England is a big place.
    Last edited by Hassun; Aug 25, 2007 at 12:22 PM. Reason: double post
    ____________________________________________

  8. #8
    Newbie hendo24 is off to a good start
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Location
    England
    Posts
    51
    Thanks
    0
    Thanked 1 Time in 1 Post

    Re: Martial Arts and You

    Quote Originally Posted by Shodokan View Post
    Kickboxing and boxing are martial arts. If you want something Asian take Judo. Where do you live? England is a big place.
    Ah sorry i thought it would be a little pointless in specifieing exactly where abouts i live, i live in braunstone in leicestershire. i thought about judo but for some reason (which i cant explain properly) it doesnt grab my attention i wanted to learn tai chi but my best friend comes from taiwan and said it wasnt a worthwhile venture, i cant get my mind of taichi when he was discribing it i was drawn to the idea! i mean i have some pretty strange ideas such as auras (if thats spelt correct). im not religeus or anything but i believe everyone gives off an aura, wow i could blab on about this all day lol, in short in nto exactly looking for a martial art to throw people around or directly fight, more to train myself and hopefully gain something else in the proses

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Similar Threads

  1. Martial Arts
    By SidtheGreat in forum Japanese Culture
    Replies: 63
    Last Post: Sep 01, 2006, 07:38 AM
  2. Martial Arts Anyone?
    By HeartlessViper in forum The Thread Vault
    Replies: 15
    Last Post: Mar 03, 2006, 08:13 PM
  3. Do you do martial arts?
    By *Mayura* in forum The Thread Vault
    Replies: 87
    Last Post: Jan 29, 2006, 07:02 PM
  4. Martial Arts, anyone.
    By kedar in forum The Thread Vault
    Replies: 74
    Last Post: Oct 27, 2005, 04:37 PM
  5. Martial Arts?
    By Metsuki Anba in forum The Thread Vault
    Replies: 34
    Last Post: Aug 07, 2005, 11:26 PM

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts