+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Thread: Martial Arts and You

Devoted Otaku Shodokan may be famous one day Shodokan may be famous one day Shodokan's Avatar
    Thanks

Re: Martial Arts and You

Quote Originally Posted by hendo24 View Post
    Ah sorry i thought it would be a little pointless in specifieing exactly where abouts i live, i live in braunstone in leicestershire. i thought about judo but for some reason (which i cant explain properly) it doesnt grab my attention i wanted to learn tai chi but my best friend comes from taiwan and said it wasnt a worthwhile venture, i cant get my mind of taichi when he was discribing it i was drawn to the idea! i mean i have some pretty strange ideas such as auras (if thats spelt correct). im not religeus or anything but i believe everyone gives off an aura, wow i could blab on about this all day lol, in short in nto exactly looking for a martial art to throw people around or directly fight, more to train myself and hopefully gain something else in the proses
    Okay that's fine. Tai Chi would be a good choice. Stay away from Chen style Tai Chi. It's famous for being one of the few Tai Chi styles that focus on fighting.
    Ignore your friend's advice and try it out a Tai Chi class. It doesn't have to be martial arts specifically. Why don't you try Yoga too? Besides stretching it focuses on relaxing, breathing and meditation.

Newbie hendo24 is off to a good start
    Thanks

Thank you i think i might just try it, out of curiosity has anyone ever tried free running? granted its not a martial art but im just curius

Mage of Eternity Joe Mage is making a name for themselves Joe Mage is making a name for themselves Joe Mage's Avatar
    Thanks

I learned a little judo and tae kwon do from my dad, and I know a little gung fu and jeet kune do. I don' use martial arts much, I try ta avoid fightin', but that doesn' mean that I won' use it if I haveta.

Sanity doesn't exist, it's just an excuse cooked up by crazy people to justify their actions. My myspace page: www.myspace.com/joemage

Otaku Master_badger may be famous one day Master_badger may be famous one day
    Thanks

I learned Tae Kwon-do when i was a child. But the school and the work stop my training. Is fine to make some exercise and is fun to practice. Is my favorite marial art but i like the jeet kune-do, is very agresive and spiritual at the same time.
    "Knowledge is power"

Otaku zeine may be famous one day zeine may be famous one day zeine's Avatar
    Thanks

For Judo, I know only the basics (pinning, grappling and throwing). I must say that sparring was such a joy. It gives you such a thrill. And the adrenaline rush! Pressure to think quick on your feet and apply your body pressure to manipulate and take advantage of your opponent's weight is so much fun. Plus, it feels rewarding when you finally see your learnt moves in play.

For Muay Thai, I learned some very practical and elementary defensive techniques. I find this sport to be quite tiring, but its principles are pretty much similar and applicable to many of the other martial arts. The super skimpy short-shorts are kinda hard to get used to though.

I also experienced a bit of Wu Shu. Particularly those which focus its movements on the utilization of fists and swords. It is pretty relaxing, but balance and coordination are key.

Newbie Kenshinzen is off to a good start Kenshinzen's Avatar
    Thanks

Wow, such a great responce so far. Looks like a few people here have tried it, whether they kept going with it or not.
    @ Shodokan: I've sent a message to my instructor (not a sensei yet, he's only 1st Dan) and hopefully I'll be able to tell you.
    @ hendo24: Here's a link to a website that lists most of the clubs in the UK. It has a search function as well, to help you find one. Have fun.
    House Hermit No.1 - Thankyou, may I ahve another?

Otaku nightboyz may be famous one day nightboyz may be famous one day nightboyz's Avatar
    Thanks

Iv been studing sence I was a kid and based on karate, tae-kwon-do, and a litte jujitsu. Laty iv been thinking about geting in to mori-tae.
    Kamen Rider....DECADE!!!

AO Helper Word Slider Champion, Penguin Shot Champion, YetiSports 10 - The End Champion, Yetisports 2 - Orca Slap Champion, Yetisports 3 - Seal Bounce Champion Mega may be famous one day Mega may be famous one day Mega's Avatar
    Thanks

My mother practiced Karate back in the 60's and 70's. She's a blackbelt, but I can never remember what degree. Anyway, that was a long time ago, and she's a 50 year old pushover now. I'm more inclined to study Tae kwon Do, because it focuses on agility, flexabillity, and kicking. I have some natural talent in those areas.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast