+ Reply to Thread

Thread: meeting people online

Newbie hapa may be famous one day hapa may be famous one day hapa's Avatar
    Thanks

meeting people online

I saw a couple contests on hivepals where you share funny horror stories about meeting people offline that you met online. I have a few good ones to share – like the time I went to meet a guy – just as a friend cuz I was new in the area - and he showed up driving his tractor and dressed like an elf. I tried to make polite conversation and talk about anime and he kept showing me his holy talismans and trying to recruit me for some sort of elven war. Clearly out of balance. Maybe at least I can win something for my trouble...

Got any good ones yourself?
    Last edited by Hassun; Jun 18, 2009 at 02:24 PM. Reason: please don't advertise

Zev
    SuperModZilla Zev is making a name for themselves Zev is making a name for themselves Zev's Avatar
    Thanks

Re: meeting people online

I met 2 guys off myspace. They were both pretty bad, so I have learned my lesson. I went to go see a movie with them, they looked so much hotter in their pictures. Anyway the first guy, he starred at me through the whole entire movie instead of watching the movie, it was totally creepy. Lets just say I havn't seen him since. And the other guy talked through the entire movie, he was pretty geeky and nervous.

Signature is a Gwenibe original.

Newbie hapa may be famous one day hapa may be famous one day hapa's Avatar
    Thanks

Heh, aww, poor guys, they must have been really nervous. Oddly, all of the dating I've done online has worked out fine.  It's finding platonic friends just to hang out with that I haven't had much luck with.  I think it might be because guys try to take advantage of women looking for platonic friends because they think we'll be more off guard? I might actually use HivePals because it's designed for finding platonic friends/interest partners and they have a feedback system (like ebay) on their profiles, at least that's some security that the person is genuine.  Also they allow you to tie your profile in to your PayPal billing information, so that's a good measure as well.

Of course, I've also had friends I met offline - in the real world, that later turned out to be crazy. One of my friends was a compulsive liar and made up her whole life. She pretended to be a teacher and one day she disappeared. Her family and boyfriend and friends (including me) mounted a search party, and we unraveled all her lies (like, we called the school everyone thought she worked at, and they were like "No, we've never had a teacher by that name, we don't even teach that subject here.")... she showed up three days later locked in the trunk of her own car (alive, but dehydrated). I had thought she was a sane, sweet, teacher....

THUMBSUCKING ADDICTION Mr. K is making a name for themselves Mr. K is making a name for themselves Mr. K's Avatar
    Thanks

hm! Never went out of my way to meet anyone. I live in Alaska so those chances are rear, but one time I thought I met a new person and it ended up being someone I had already known. It was so funny. We were both so nervous, untill we saw eachother there, and we were like "Eh..?" Classic in some forms yes.

But most of the time I send my big brother to go meet them. If he appoves, then the odds of me lossing my life are slim. So I like to believe.
    ≥°≤ [?] █▓▒░░▒▓█ [?] ≥°≤
    You know how you drown a blonde, Rosalie? Glue a mirror to the bottom of a pool.
    Jacob Black, Breaking Dawn, Chapter 14, p.271
    Lamie Hynamen "I reject your reality and substitute my own."

Newbie Xanosuke2 is off to a good start Xanosuke2's Avatar
    Thanks

Typically, with my experiences, meeting people is pretty scary, and yeah dangerous. But it normally runs as far as you know them. If you had just met them online and setup a date to meet then yeah, staying away from that would be the best bet. The more time you spend talking to that person, and the more effort put into building a foundation of trust and time into the ordeal, the less likely it's going to end up with you in a trunk cut into tiny pieces :P I've met all 3 girls I've been out with recently online, and spent a good amount of time talking online, and offline(phone) before I would meet them. Relationship wise, it tends to work out fine if both parties are willing to work, friendship wise it tends to go the other way. Normally if you meet someone online the friendship is better online than it is offline. I haven't really went out to meet any friends I've met online yet because we have more in common online that we would offline so it just doesn't seem neccessary putting ourselves through the trouble and anxiety of meeting each other offline. Though distance, a place to stay and way to get there tends to be the biggest issue of them all. ^^;

Erasing my past one bad memory at a time.

+ Reply to Thread