+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Military or Civilian life??

Otaku Panda Golf Champion Ryoga_TheLost may be famous one day Ryoga_TheLost may be famous one day Ryoga_TheLost's Avatar
    Thanks

Military or Civilian life??

I was just wondering which life you would choose. As for me...I have to make that dicision in about a year. I forgot what's it's like to be a civilian again. Being in the military has it's benefits but I want to know, what you (AO members) find to be a benefit as a civilian. I haven't been a civilian in 7yrs. The military is making me tired so what do you think I should do? Get out and try to find that job out there that everyone is looking for OR stay in and make a career out of this life for 12 more years??

Thanks for all the responses.

Sophist of Satire Exoparadapsyphobia may be famous one day Exoparadapsyphobia may be famous one day Exoparadapsyphobia's Avatar
    Thanks

Re: Military or Civilian life??

Well, this is a very hard question. I'm not a psycholigist and I don't know you personaly so I can't form a very helpful response about what decision is right for you versus someone else that I know physically. Though I will say this; your suitability to re-enter civilian life depends largely on what you have seen, been through and taught in the military as well as your own interpretation of these events and I have no clue as to what that may have been. Therefore you may accept my conclusion that no one but yourself can decide with any kind of accuracy what-so-ever as to what you should do, and anyone who attempts it has no idea what in Allah's name they are talking about as there are very few people here with military experience or a degree in psychology who could give you some credible advice.

But as to my take on civilian life, I myself have spent long hard hours contemplating the comparitive differences between military and civilian life because I have been long set on enlisting in the Army. As to my conclusion; pros and cons of civy versus military life are many and in most cases are not the same for everyone. For me however I believe I would benefit greatly both physically and mentaly from being in the Army over continuing to live a civilian life and I look forward to the day when I finally sing those papers [rest assured I have my doubts about the military, but this is my general feeling about it]. My reasons for enlisting are that I wish to gain a higher degree of mental discipline, physical strength and to be with people in which I can find similar interests and common ground to stand on - a sense of unity, or family if you will. Also, I wish to experience events that will positively change my mentality towards life and why it is important. More specifically to resurrect the primitive survival instinct that I seemed to have lost, which will allow me to live life with a new sense of apprection for my surroundings instead of the solemn, bitter acceptance that I've carried for it practically all my life.

So those are my reasons for picking military over civilian life. But those are only goals, and goals are eventually accomplished and it will not take the rest of my life dedicated to the military to achieve that. You may have had goals before enlisting, and now you may or may not have accomplished them so you wish to leave. What's left after those goals to keep you in the military? Well, the only reasons I can guess as of now is to keep your life constant and on the road you know the best since the shift from military back into civilian life would perhaps cause a great disruption to your own lifestyle or long lasting inconveniences. But like I said only you can ascertain the specific reasons that warrant you to stay or leave the military. I encourage you to make your own decision on the matter.

I hope that helps!
    Last edited by Exoparadapsyphobia; Oct 16, 2007 at 09:41 PM.
    Death is your most loyal companion, for he will never fail you.

Lost In My Own World Fishing the Sea Champion, LastTank Standing Champion Ky-lyrra may be famous one day Ky-lyrra may be famous one day Ky-lyrra's Avatar
    Thanks

As you say there are many benefits for being in the military...such as you know it's a constant job. You don't have to worry about really getting fired. You have the health insurance that would be hard to find if you were to leave the military. The housing if you are married or even if you are not is pretty much for free if you choose to live on base or post. Just having to pay for certain things like you phone, internet, and cable bill.

Although it does have it's disadvantages such as you have to report where you are going and you are only allowed to go so many miles away from base or post without filling out paperwork to travel...which can be a pain in the wazoo. I hate how there are certain parts of the city your not allowed to go in if your at Fort Bragg, NC.

Though if you want my opinion on what I would do...I would stay in and make the military my career...only for the simple fact that when you retire 20 years after being in the military you still get your benefits. After that you can go and find the job career that would make the best for you.
    ™Mommy To Micah And Shawn!™

Thanks For The Amazing Tag Pyro!

Otaku Dune Bashing In Dubai Champion, Yetisports 10 - Icicle Climb Champion, Yeti Bubbles Champion overload is off to a good start overload's Avatar
    Thanks

OK so I have to say that it is quite difficult to say because I don't know any thing about the military, but I will say that it is not our choice in the matter, but your own that counts towards being in the military or becoming a civilian.

That choice can make your life better or even worse, but my thought on the matter is that I would like to join and would have if I was able, but being a civilian has it's rough patches and so does being a military man.

so think about it this way, would you like to gamble all that you have now on the chance of being accepted back into the civilian population, where you are able to hurt someone with your knowledge of military training, or use that training to defend your country?

Otaku Maskot Kombat Champion Titanofdeath is off to a good start Titanofdeath's Avatar
    Thanks

Being a civilian is great cause you dont have to get up and go train for amry satuff for hours or you dont have a place depending on you to save them and you. you dont have to wacth friends die be your side and you really dont have to make life and death desions everyday of your life.

"Be the change that you want to see in the world." "A nation's culture resides in the hearts and in the soul of its people. " "Live as if you were to die tomorrow. Learn as if you were to live forever." Quote Mohandas Gandhi

Legendary Otaku divine_punishment may be famous one day divine_punishment may be famous one day divine_punishment's Avatar
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Ryoga_TheLost View Post
    I was just wondering which life you would choose. As for me...I have to make that dicision in about a year. I forgot what's it's like to be a civilian again. Being in the military has it's benefits but I want to know, what you (AO members) find to be a benefit as a civilian. I haven't been a civilian in 7yrs. The military is making me tired so what do you think I should do? Get out and try to find that job out there that everyone is looking for OR stay in and make a career out of this life for 12 more years??

Thanks for all the responses.
    Well, I happen to think being close to my family is a benefit. Not having to really worry about what the day will bring is nice. If your heart and soul is not into being a military man, you should stop. The change back to civilian would not necessarily be easy, but I think it is worth the attempt.

Banned aceman67 has become well known aceman67 has become well known aceman67 has become well known aceman67's Avatar
    Thanks

My thoughts on thsi can be summed up by the poem I wrote:
    Living in the Family of Thousands

~jUsT sMiLe~ _gwenibe_ may be famous one day _gwenibe_ may be famous one day _gwenibe_'s Avatar
    Thanks

Well, I choose a 'civilian' life for my own personal opinions. benefit of being a civilian is obviously not having to take orders XD. idk lol

But, the question should be - what do you want to do in life? Do you want to be in the army for your career? or are you passionate about something else in your life? Think about where you want to be and what your goals are. Sorry I can't help to make it easier but it does come down to what you want out of life ^_^;

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast