+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: More gold then any other country. Ever.

Banned beast may be famous one day beast may be famous one day beast's Avatar
    Thanks

Re: More gold then any other country. Ever.

Quote Originally Posted by aceman67 View Post
    Traditionally, the country with the most gold medals is seen as the leader in the Olympics.
    I did some math myself. In international team competitions when a point value is awarded to the top three, and this is true down to the most junior levels, the point is 5 points for first place (gold), 3 points for second (silver) and 1 point for third (bronze).

This would give the Canadian team a total of 96 points. The breakdown being 70 points for the 14 first places. 21 points for 7 second places. 5 points for each bronze medal.

The United States would have a total of 103 points. 45 points for the 9 first place finishes. Another 45 for the 15 second place finishes. 13 points for all the bronze.

Now to tackle Hassun and aceman67's comments, I remember competing in this system in high school and college and knowing a few athletes who competed in the worlds and international meets it doesn't get any better. It makes the playing field even for a team with consistently good athletes to compete against a team that has maybe one phenomenal athlete.

So let us say that a team gets first place in an event but another team gets second and third. That is a loss of one point which can be made up in other events. Obviously the team with the most first place finishes is at a clear advantage, and most of the time a team that has the most first place finisher ends up winning but you do not simply win a multi event competition just because you have the most first place finishers.

But north america dominated the winter games. That is the real point. Oh yeah.

I'm all ears. Hassun has disabled reputation
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by beast View Post
    I did some math myself. In international team competitions when a point value is awarded to the top three, and this is true down to the most junior levels, the point is 5 points for first place (gold), 3 points for second (silver) and 1 point for third (bronze).

This would give the Canadian team a total of 96 points. The breakdown being 70 points for the 14 first places. 21 points for 7 second places. 5 points for each bronze medal.

The United States would have a total of 103 points. 45 points for the 9 first place finishes. Another 45 for the 15 second place finishes. 13 points for all the bronze.

Now to tackle Hassun and aceman67's comments, I remember competing in this system in high school and college and knowing a few athletes who competed in the worlds and international meets it doesn't get any better. It makes the playing field even for a team with consistently good athletes to compete against a team that has maybe one phenomenal athlete.

So let us say that a team gets first place in an event but another team gets second and third. That is a loss of one point which can be made up in other events. Obviously the team with the most first place finishes is at a clear advantage, and most of the time a team that has the most first place finisher ends up winning but you do not simply win a multi event competition just because you have the most first place finishers.

But north america dominated the winter games. That is the real point. Oh yeah.
    Compare Finland to Australia for example.
    Finland 0G 1S 4B
    Australia 2G 1S 0B

Finland being higher in the rankings than Australia.
    It just depends on how much value you'll give to the different medals.

Zev
    SuperModZilla Zev is making a name for themselves Zev is making a name for themselves Zev's Avatar
    Thanks

Why have a second and third place, if only first place mattered? Thats the real question. So yeah I kind of think that the leader is the country with the most medals. Just my opinion though.

Signature is a Gwenibe original.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2