+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Thread: Myspace hit with online predator suits

Ecchi Enthusiast Classic Donkey Kong Champion, Balloon Bomber Champion, Fishing Impossible Champion, Festival Of History : Archery Champion, Dare Devil Champion, Little Monkey Does Champion, Dragon Champion, Barty Champion, Cheesy Champion, Chicken Attack Champion, Moo Lander Champion, Hang Stan Champion, Hangaroo Champion, Sentenced Champion, Canadair Champion Miroku4444 may be famous one day Miroku4444 may be famous one day Miroku4444's Avatar
    Thanks

Myspace hit with online predator suits

"NEW YORK - Four families have sued News Corp. and its MySpace social-networking site after their underage daughters were sexually abused by adults they met on the site, lawyers for the families said Thursday.

The law firms, Barry & Loewy LLP of Austin, Texas, and Arnold & Itkin LLP of Houston, said families from New York, Texas, Pennsylvania and South Carolina filed separate suits Wednesday in Los Angeles Superior Court, alleging negligence, recklessness, fraud and negligent misrepresentation by the companies.

"In our view, MySpace waited entirely too long to attempt to institute meaningful security measures that effectively increase the safety of their underage users," said Jason A. Itkin, an Arnold & Itkin lawyer.

The families are seeking monetary damages "in the millions of dollars," Itkin said.

"Hopefully these lawsuits can spur MySpace into action and prevent this from happening to another child somewhere," he said.

MySpace, based in Los Angeles, did not immediately return calls for comment.

Critics including parents, school officials and police have been increasingly warning of online predators at sites like MySpace, where youth-oriented visitors are encouraged to expand their circles of friends using free messaging tools and personal profile pages.

MySpace has responded with added educational efforts and partnerships with law enforcement. The company has also placed restrictions on how adults may contact younger users on MySpace, while developing technologies such as one announced Wednesday to let parents see some aspects of their child's online profile, including the stated age. That tool is expected this summer.

The lawyers who filed the latest lawsuits said the plaintiffs include a 15-year-old girl from Texas who was lured to a meeting, drugged and assaulted in 2006 by an adult MySpace user, who is currently serving a 10-year sentence in Texas after pleading guilty to sexual assault.

The others are a 15-year-old girl from Pennsylvania, a 14-year-old from upstate New York and two South Carolina sisters, ages 14 and 15.

Last June, the mother of a 14-year-old who says she was sexually assaulted by a 19-year-old user sued MySpace and News Corp., seeking $30 million in damages. That lawsuit, pending in a Texas state court, claims the 19-year-old lied about being a senior in high school to gain her trust and phone number."

This is just totally stupid. Everyone of us on here knows how the young girls can be- and if you ask me you can't blame a guy for trying. (not that I in any way condone their activities -. freaking pervs)
    Education and respect for themselves starts in the home- not letting your young daughters be online for hours on end unsupervised. Even I have warned several younger girls of how many freaks there are and I believe I have helped. Giving out your picture and personal info is just not responsible in any way , shape, or form. Giving out your address, a very pretty picture and personal info such as phone numbers is like waving a sign - "here I am , come get me ". I am one of the oldest I know on the net (25) and I have been bothered by pervs , so you young girls just be careful please.
    I am not ranting just concerned.

Well to me its the parents fault for not watching what their kids are doing. Also before i let my kid on, i would be on with them(At an early age), and teach them to be alert for the freaks out there. What to do and not to do. So when the reach these girls age, they will be smart enough not fall prey to these guys.

I am one of the oldest I know on the net (25) and I have been bothered by pervs , so you young girls just be careful please.
    Hahahahah, this guy don't know much huh.

Lost In My Own World Fishing the Sea Champion, LastTank Standing Champion Ky-lyrra may be famous one day Ky-lyrra may be famous one day Ky-lyrra's Avatar
    Thanks

Re: Myspace hit with online predator suits

Wow this is what I was saying in the thread is myspace bad? I also give more then 100% agreement in this. If parent were more worried about what children were doing on sites like myspace or crap like that instead of just go away and do whatever. Then the parents would know what was happening and the children would know about the online predators or who to look out for. All these parents are sueing myspace when they did not have even bother seeing what was going on in their childrens internet time. If the parents are so worried why don't they put something on the computer that limits what the child can do. They have that now adays my frineds mom has on hers that if there is one profane word in anything her children type the computer will log them out. That would save them some money from the lawsuit they are going to have to dish out for the lawyer and court cost.
    ™Mommy To Micah And Shawn!™

Thanks For The Amazing Tag Pyro!

Devoted Otaku Spike'sRose may be famous one day Spike'sRose may be famous one day Spike'sRose's Avatar
    Thanks

MySpace isn't bad...
    It's the people who abuse it, and the people who don't monitor their children.
    I mean, they don't have to stalk their kids, or go through their things. Just make sure they are okay and talk to them.
    That's like taking a gun to trial. The gun didn't actually shoot someone, it was the person who used it. ?_?
    Just my opinion. ^_^

Sophist of Satire Exoparadapsyphobia may be famous one day Exoparadapsyphobia may be famous one day Exoparadapsyphobia's Avatar
    Thanks

I agree, MySpace isn't at fault here, the ones who are at fault are the parents and the one who commited the crime. Parents need to discuss the dangers of sharing personal information to anyone over the internet and monitor their kids activities, that's what my dad did. I think he installed a key logger on to my computer awhile back becuase suddenly he started talking about what I had been doing online. It wasn't anything bad, but he was wondering why I had recently visited a suicide forum lol. Anyways, just make sure your kid isn't a freaking moron and you should be ok. I was watching the news a few days ago and they had a report about how some kid had hung himself becuase he wanted to see what it was like after his dad had told him they were going to hang Sadam Hussein. You can't blame the T.V. and try to sue whoever aired what your kid saw, you can only blame your kid for being an idiot.
    Death is your most loyal companion, for he will never fail you.

Devoted Otaku Spike'sRose may be famous one day Spike'sRose may be famous one day Spike'sRose's Avatar
    Thanks

Too true, Exoparadapsyphobia.
    Parents should really really talk to their kids about the dangers of online predators... Just because you can't see them, and you are in the safety of your own house, doesn't mean that it's not dangerous.
    It's all about communication. And not just about MySpace or the internet... About life in general! I think a lot of parents are unsure about how to talk to their kids... Maybe even afraid. My parents weren't! They taught me a thing or two... And I am very very glad!! ^_^

Legendary Otaku Violent may be famous one day Violent may be famous one day Violent's Avatar
    Thanks

Myspace has always been a bad idea ⌐_⌐... if Myspace doesn't quit with the come and get me attention pages then there will be more and more girls getting abused v_V...

THE RULES!

I'm on my grind in search to find whats on my mind, its one of a kind!

Fish Fingers & Custard Ice Hockey Champion, Smaugs Treasure Champion, Mini Putt 3 Champion, Ant Tracks Champion, Jungle Hunt Champion, Madnetics Champion, Manole Champion, Blokken Champion, Fast Food Fiasco Champion, Shapes Hifters Champion, Mud and Blood: Vietnam Champion HolderOfTheDarkChalice is making a name for themselves HolderOfTheDarkChalice is making a name for themselves HolderOfTheDarkChalice's Avatar
    someplace where the only light is the moon above
    Thanks

if your over 18 and have kids on your my space page your stupid because
    there is no way a kid would have anything to do with an older person unless
    there family, yeah i have a few kids but there my nephew and niece.

if your under 8 and talk to older guys/girls your just as ignorant
    as the person you talk to you can pm me all the hate you want
    but its true , and until people get a brain crap like this will
    keep happening
    I'll be the one to protect you from your enemies and all your demons
    I'll be the one to protect you from a will to survive and a voice of reason
    I'll be the one to protect you from your enemies and your choices son
    They're one in the same, I must isolate you...
    Isolate and save you from yourself

Thanks for the memories princesslady may be famous one day princesslady may be famous one day princesslady's Avatar
    Thanks

myspace is a bad site to me, with all the other chat roomss including this but it's addictive. but it's all on how you use the website which makes it bad. those girls were dumb as hell ad they need to learn

Born to rule, raised to lead, taught to establish: The African Queen

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast