+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Next Weekend We Are Smoke Free

~jUsT sMiLe~ _gwenibe_ may be famous one day _gwenibe_ may be famous one day _gwenibe_'s Avatar
    Thanks

Re: Next Weekend We Are Smoke Free

It fantastic isn't it? Where I am, it's been banned in restaurants, pubs & clubs for a while now. It's banned in restaurants, but there has to be a designated area for smokers in pubs & clubs.

Quote Originally Posted by Dark. View Post
    I'm glad they get rid of it in restaurants and other places, but I think when it comes to bars, the owners should get to choose whether it's a smoke-free bar, split sections, or smoke. Bars are supposed to be a place to relax, so at least give the smokers that much. If you go to a bar and get grossly drunk then bitch about how the smoke is bad for you, you're an idiot and can either shut up, bitch at the owner, or find another place to drink.
    The thing is though, if your drinking, at least you have a choice to or not. If some one is smoking near you, you have no choice but to cop the second hand smoke and in some cases you can't just move away because it's every where. And yeah, you could go to another place, but, if it's anything like the place where I grew up...there is only one place to go to xD or pay a $100 cab fee

The first time I got taken out clubbing was 1 week before the new laws came in, was the first time in my life I got asthma when I came home. Not a nice experience.

Strange Times Dark. is making a name for themselves Dark. is making a name for themselves Dark.'s Avatar
    Thanks

you've got a good point, for non-urban areas it's harder if they've only got one bar and its a smoking bar. but like i said, if the non-smokers say something to the owner, and they're a big enough number of customers that if they stopped going the owner would lose money, then trust me, the owner is going to have to do something about it, or lose business. And in a small town, that would put the bar owner out of business quick. I mean the argument could really go either way, that' just how I look at it.

But also look at the other hand here, what if smokers are the majority of a given bar's customers? Perhaps one of the reasons the smokers came to the bar in the first place is because they wanted a place where they could smoke legally. But if there is a law that bans smoking even from bars, suddenly smokers are less inclined to go out and instead stay at home and smoke in front of their kids. That's not only bad and unfair for the owner's business, but now smoker's kids are getting secondhand smoke, which is hardly better than an adult getting it. Which is why I think the owner should have that right to make the choice as to whether they want to keep their bar smoke-free or not.

3. The Following User Says Thank You to Dark. For This Useful Post:

Dragons2801 (Apr 26, 2010)

~jUsT sMiLe~ _gwenibe_ may be famous one day _gwenibe_ may be famous one day _gwenibe_'s Avatar
    Thanks

I see your point and that was one of the arguments when it was first introduced over here, but 4 years later and there aren't any pubs or clubs that have gone out of business or lost customers because of it. Reality is that if people want to go out for a good night they will, they just now have to go outside the club to smoke or into designated areas for smokers. I don't have any facts or anything like that, but I do know of a few people who have started going out more, because, they can now go into a club and be able to breathe properly xD, but I also heard of the one or two people who stopped going out at first because 'they couldn't smoke where they wanted too' I don't think it'd be enough to really start effecting clubs or pubs though.

Otaku Avea Shadows is off to a good start Avea Shadows's Avatar
    Thanks

Agreed. Being a child growing up to second hand smoke is no fun..(I should know) As well as in bars, majority of the people there are smokers(for some) But I also think, they should have a little place, just for the smokers, so they won't bother non-smokers, and harm them in anyway, then everyone will be happy. That though, is up to the owners.

Quote Originally Posted by Dark. View Post
    you've got a good point, for non-urban areas it's harder if they've only got one bar and its a smoking bar. but like i said, if the non-smokers say something to the owner, and they're a big enough number of customers that if they stopped going the owner would lose money, then trust me, the owner is going to have to do something about it, or lose business. And in a small town, that would put the bar owner out of business quick. I mean the argument could really go either way, that' just how I look at it.

But also look at the other hand here, what if smokers are the majority of a given bar's customers? Perhaps one of the reasons the smokers came to the bar in the first place is because they wanted a place where they could smoke legally. But if there is a law that bans smoking even from bars, suddenly smokers are less inclined to go out and instead stay at home and smoke in front of their kids. That's not only bad and unfair for the owner's business, but now smoker's kids are getting secondhand smoke, which is hardly better than an adult getting it. Which is why I think the owner should have that right to make the choice as to whether they want to keep their bar smoke-free or not.

Living life on your own..Isn't always that easy..-Vincent

Banned beast may be famous one day beast may be famous one day beast's Avatar
    Thanks

It gets weird now. There are a few idiots who are suing claiming that people only come to their bar to smoke. Michigan: love it or leave it.

Otaku Dragons2801 is off to a good start Dragons2801's Avatar
    in a place beyond the reaches of time, gripped with sorow, pain driving everything to insanity.
    Thanks

lol how stupid is that, why would they try to sue, they couldnt pass it anyway, but keep me informed beast on the outcome ok.

within the darkened realm of the mind, is endless shadows, wrenching pain, warming love, and burning desires.

Otaku Avea Shadows is off to a good start Avea Shadows's Avatar
    Thanks

Same, I must know how this will end up. So foolish they are! Hopefully they will not win! Keep me posted =)

Quote Originally Posted by Dragons2801 View Post
    lol how stupid is that, why would they try to sue, they couldnt pass it anyway, but keep me informed beast on the outcome ok.

Living life on your own..Isn't always that easy..-Vincent

Strange Times Dark. is making a name for themselves Dark. is making a name for themselves Dark.'s Avatar
    Thanks

as if none of you above me haven't done something rash or foolish when you were passionate or mad about something. Will the law suit get anywhere? Probably not, but the publicity should at least show us that there is another side to this. Smokers are people too, and they feel they're being treated unfairly so they'll seek whatever means they can to find the fairness they're looking for, just as non-smokers have.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast