+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Thread: No more letters to Santa, (how do you feel)

Otaku Brandon Grave Heat is off to a good start
    Thanks

Question No more letters to Santa, (how do you feel)

U.S. Postal Service Says No More North Pole Letter Deliveries
    Email this| Posted Nov 19th 2009 12:30PM by Sandy Maple

This year, the postal service won't be delivering letters to Santa -- at least, not at the North Pole.

For generations, children have written breathless letters to Santa Claus in the hopes that he will fulfill their deepest desires on Christmas Day. And since 1954, the U.S. Postal Service has employed volunteers to read and respond to the letters that are addressed simply to "Santa Claus, North Pole." But no more. Citing privacy concerns, the U.S. Postal Service will no longer deliver such letters to the volunteers in North Pole, Alaska.

What would move the U.S. Postal Service to put an end to such a popular and seemingly harmless program? The answer is a registered sex offender thousands of miles away.

Last year, a postal worker in Maryland recognized a local Operation Santa Claus volunteer as a registered sex offender. The sex offender was stopped before being allowed to respond to any children's letters, but the damage was done.

As a result, new policies were put in place that prohibit volunteers from having access to the personal information of the children who write the letters. As part of the Operation Santa Claus program, the Postal Service now removes the last name and addresses of the children and replaces that information with codes that match computerized information available only to the post office. Individual post offices are allowed to decide whether or not they wish to go through all this trouble and many of them still do.

But the Alaska town of North Pole is not one of those places. According to a Postal Service spokesperson in Anchorage, the new restrictions are just not feasible in Alaska. Now, letters that are generically address to "Santa Claus, North Pole" will no longer be forwarded to the volunteers in the Alaska town of North Pole. Instead, they will be sent to other sites that are still participating in the Operation Santa program.

Despite the fact that North Pole, Alaska, isn't answering Christmas letters shouldn't stop kids from writing to Santa. Children can still send letters to Santa and receive responses through local Operation Santa programs. But those who are expecting an official "North Pole" post mark on their letters from Santa will be disappointed.

Is this good protection for kids, or just an overzealous, knee-jerk reaction? what you think about this matter

[URL="http://news.holidash.com/2009/11/19/u-s-postal-service-says-no-more-north-pole-letter-deliveries/?icid=main|htmlws-main-n|dl7|link4|http%3A%2F%2Fnews.holidash.com%2F2009% 2F11%2F19%2Fu-s-postal-service-says-no-more-north-pole-letter-deliveries%2F[/URL]

Please share your though on this matter, this 55 year time & harmless tradtion bought to a stop because of some sick people, this is one of the reasons why the world is going to hell..

Zev
    SuperModZilla Zev is making a name for themselves Zev is making a name for themselves Zev's Avatar
    Thanks

Re: No more letters to Santa, (how do you feel)

I think they should just scrap the whole "Lie to your kids about Santa" thing. Its stupid and pointless. You can still celebrate Christmas without living in an imaginary Santa filled world.

Signature is a Gwenibe original.

3. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Zev For This Useful Post:

atomik_sprout (Nov 30, 2009), SamuraiDude128 (Nov 21, 2009)

Messenger of Despair Hive Hero Champion dark angel swordsman may be famous one day dark angel swordsman may be famous one day dark angel swordsman's Avatar
    Thanks

Eh, I always enjoyed it, even after I 'figured' out that the big man wasn't real. I think it kinda brings if anything, a little more enjoyment from a child. I don't know why exactly, but it does I guess. Psychological effect on kids? Hey, if it ain't broke, don't fix it. But oh well. I don't make the rules.
    http://www.animeonline.net/image.php?type=sigpic&userid=7987&dateline=1181515  689
    I won't let this world exist without me! If I die, we all die! / Avatar & Signature by anime_8000.

Otaku Brandon Grave Heat is off to a good start
    Thanks

well both of you kind of have a point on one hand ZEV, your saying why start them on the path of st Nick when it shall led to disapointed ment. and Darkangel Swordman, I can also see your point.. Which is let the belive in st nick if it does no harm.. This is turn out to a nice topic.

Otaku Dune Bashing In Dubai Champion, Yetisports 10 - Icicle Climb Champion, Yeti Bubbles Champion overload is off to a good start overload's Avatar
    Thanks

I still remember the time that I would sit up and write my letter to the jolly man..
    it was a joyous start to the holiday season.

but as time wears on, it is inevitable to tell kids that Santa, St. Nick and all the names used, were merely a way to keep kids in high and happy spirits.

I mean face it.. what would happen if all the kids around the world were told right from the start there is not Santa? the spark of the Holidays would never exist.. it's the kids that bring that spark to the holidays and I say that the Post Office should continue the Tradition. but be more stringent on the background searches they preform on their employees.

Fish Fingers & Custard Ice Hockey Champion, Smaugs Treasure Champion, Mini Putt 3 Champion, Ant Tracks Champion, Jungle Hunt Champion, Madnetics Champion, Manole Champion, Blokken Champion, Fast Food Fiasco Champion, Shapes Hifters Champion, Mud and Blood: Vietnam Champion HolderOfTheDarkChalice is making a name for themselves HolderOfTheDarkChalice is making a name for themselves HolderOfTheDarkChalice's Avatar
    someplace where the only light is the moon above
    Thanks

it was bound to happen with how kids are kidanmed and exploited. im surprised it didnt sooner wityh how easy it is to talk to kids online or off line. like the kid who got sent a picture of a naked guy on his x box 360. i wonder what will be ruined next becuase of those jerks who mess with kids.
    I'll be the one to protect you from your enemies and all your demons
    I'll be the one to protect you from a will to survive and a voice of reason
    I'll be the one to protect you from your enemies and your choices son
    They're one in the same, I must isolate you...
    Isolate and save you from yourself

Angsty Goth Teenager SamuraiDude128 may be famous one day SamuraiDude128 may be famous one day SamuraiDude128's Avatar
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Zev View Post
    I think they should just scrap the whole "Lie to your kids about Santa" thing. Its stupid and pointless. You can still celebrate Christmas without living in an imaginary Santa filled world.
    I agree whole heartedly, Once you learn there is no Santa it doesn't really destroy anything it's like okay so there's no fat man that slides down our chimney (some how) snacks on cookies and milk and leaves presents for children so what? When I learned he wasn't real I didn't care at all. So not delivering letters to Santa shouldn't be a big deal to anyone.

Banned beast may be famous one day beast may be famous one day beast's Avatar
    Thanks

Anyone who sends a letter out without the address and zip code is stupid and the post office has been sending back letters from dumb people and address changes for awhile. By the way I hate to point out common sense to an America that is growing dumber by the decade but the north pole is ice I don't think there is even an actual permanent residence at the North pole. Even in a recession stupidity still grows.

And your right the wold is going to hell fast.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast