+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Online forums of all kind

Legendary Otaku Snake Champion, Zelda Champion, Crazy Koala Champion, Minigolf Champion, Concentrate Champion, Guess 5 Champion, Batting Champ Champion, Beach Ball Control Champion, Bookworm Champion, Wacky Word Wiz Champion, Fight Fight 3 Champion, Spinner's Luck Champion, Traffic Jam Champion, Yeti Pengu Throw Champion Legend is making a name for themselves Legend is making a name for themselves Legend is making a name for themselves Legend's Avatar
    Thanks

Online forums of all kind

In this topic, let's discuss the topic of online forums. It is not only referring to anime forums, but forums in general. My question to you is:

Have online forums simply lost its luster?

Has it become another obsolete activity of the internet, just like large chat rooms?

What do you believe is the cause of the lost of interests?

And, if you do not agree, do provide examples of sites and why you think they are not suffering from "The Great Depression" of Forums.

'Cause you give me something / That makes me scared, alright / This could be nothing / But I'm willing to give it a try / Please give me something
    'Cause someday I might call you from my heart

Lost In My Own World Fishing the Sea Champion, LastTank Standing Champion Ky-lyrra may be famous one day Ky-lyrra may be famous one day Ky-lyrra's Avatar
    Thanks

Re: Online forums of all kind

I believe that some online forums have lost the luster as you say.

Let's take gaiaonline.com for example if you go on there now all you find are horny 15 year olds that mainly it. Well they are not the only ones on there but mainly the 15-18 age group are the worst. It's like your having a normal conversation and then out of the blue they try to start something. (Keepin it clean) About 2 years ago it wasn't this bad I mean yes there were people but then all of the sudden they were bum barged by the horniness. To start out with the site was just somewhere to have fun and chat with people on there. I would like someone to just go on there as a guest or something and see all the topics it's sick. What happened to the family forums you know get to know someone and become friends?

Now we take Anime Online the only thing I see that it has lost members because they did not want to cope with the changes. Yes there are some people that are like scared to put in topics because they don't know if people will even reply. Due to the fact they think they are the only one with interests in the topic or they don't know how to start the topic off. This forum is coming out of a Great Depression state but it's still a place that people come to talk about common interests. They see this as a family site and want it family friendly.

I hope this is what you were looking for or something of the nature.
    ™Mommy To Micah And Shawn!™

Thanks For The Amazing Tag Pyro!

Otaku Youth-anime-fan is off to a good start
    Thanks

Also in line with the growing number of trashy conversation you find on forums, one sees why AO is preferred by some. It has mods/admins who are always up to date on the happenings of their forums. If someone gets out of line, they put a stop to it without using vulgar cusses or profanity that the other sick individuals might use.

Basically, the forums might also be loosing appeal to other forms because it hasn't innovated like other things. I believe it is a good thing to have forums with an IRC chat channel to compliment the community, but moreso, a time and place kind of system, where people might sign up for time slots when they will be there. (why most people don't use chat often is they don't know when someone is going to ever be there to talk with)

Furthermore, the console gaming industry is agian growing in size. 5 years ago, I could see 3 and a half racks filled with computer games. Computer games were popular and just as good or better than the then current console games. Now, as the next-gen consoles take over on grafics and HD, computer games are now infferior unless your willing to spend 5k on a desktop. (exagerated?) Now one is lucky to have a store with one rack of computer games.

This puts people off from going on the computer and using it. Then, as people don't innitially go onto it, they don't cruz the intronet and spend some time at a local forums.

Another popular idea is that the next generation who is turning 15-16 is becoming a horrible, perverted, and sick generation. They have a bad attitude which defys the previous generation, and they are dilinquints.
    Of course YOU COULD SAY THIS WITH EVERY GENERATION. Since we are the headers of the online world, those who come in front of us are redefining it. Just like when rock and roll from the 50's to the 60's. Elvis was very disturbing, and then he wasn't so..

In the end, it also might just be a changing fad. Poeple are too lazy to write things on the internet anymore because nobody will probably ever read it more than once. Is it turning into blogging, where you give an article type format where people can come across it and you can feel like a newspaper? maybe.

Otaku bugsbunnyz may be famous one day bugsbunnyz may be famous one day
    Thanks

Hey I'm still in my teens and I don't think I'm horrible, perverse or sick!

But I think I can see what you mean, I havn't really been around forums long enough to say wether the 'veterans' are leaving because of lack of interest, or they're just moving on, same goes with changes to forum kind for good or for bad.

But I can say is since I joined AO, I have noticed it tends to keep a firm root unlike some *cough*Gaia*cough* which is a good thing in my opinion, but then again, that might be the reason for the lack of intrest, I'm not really to say on the matter. Overall though, I'm pretty sure AO will survive regardless cus'... just cus'.

Otaku Just Pitching Champion, Mile High Club Champion, Penguin Dive Champion, Gold Strike Champion Darkened_Star may be famous one day Darkened_Star may be famous one day Darkened_Star's Avatar
    Thanks

I'm a teenager... I, personally, had gotten bored of most forums. Things often bore me when there is nothing new to talk about, nothing new to play, and nothing new to view. Plus if there isn't anything for me to achieve or want to achieve, I don't see a point. But there still are a few (like this one) I still enjoy going to. My friend actually recommended me to this site earlier this month because she thought I might like it more then the ones I was always complaining about.

Come dance in the rain with me, no one is watching.

Otaku Youth-anime-fan is off to a good start
    Thanks

Hey I'm still in my teens and I don't think I'm horrible, perverse or sick!

Yea, I was kinda over-exaggerating on my part. I thought I sounded stupid enough that people would think I wasn't being serious. (which I wasn't)

But the bottom generational thing is true. If the next generation is more into something else, we wont have as many dedicated members in forums.

Decapitation?DontBePicky! Raimann may be famous one day Raimann may be famous one day Raimann's Avatar
    Thanks

well i agree that many forums on the internet are being abused because many people do not stick on topic and the serious readers cannot stand these idiotic remarks. anime online has this problem, because i have seen poor one line posts that i dont wanna read, and sometimes that ruins the posts under cuz allot of the time i am interested in the topic. we have to realise that today, advertising is fundamental and people would use any space possible to advertise, and forums has just got on the list. for example, myspace has forums, and some hackers buy 500 bux software to hack files and post spam and ads for it, and sometimes its just annoying. i think the only way to fix this is to make sure that the things being typed fit into the specific forum, and to ban hackers and spamers swiftly.

Want Credits Fast? Love The Thrill Of Gambling? Then Come On Down And See For Yourself!
    http://www.animeonline.net/f5/nfl-football-31440/

Legendary Otaku Snake Champion, Zelda Champion, Crazy Koala Champion, Minigolf Champion, Concentrate Champion, Guess 5 Champion, Batting Champ Champion, Beach Ball Control Champion, Bookworm Champion, Wacky Word Wiz Champion, Fight Fight 3 Champion, Spinner's Luck Champion, Traffic Jam Champion, Yeti Pengu Throw Champion Legend is making a name for themselves Legend is making a name for themselves Legend is making a name for themselves Legend's Avatar
    Thanks

Funny I am replying to my own topic, but I wanted to throw something else in for you guys to think about. Perhaps maybe it is not the fact that forums are no longer "fun", but rather that the forum community is spread too thin.

Consider this fact. Any Joe Schmo can start his/her own forum for free.

'Cause you give me something / That makes me scared, alright / This could be nothing / But I'm willing to give it a try / Please give me something
    'Cause someday I might call you from my heart

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast