+ Reply to Thread
Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast

Thread: Quick question about cats.

Otaku Haruko Haruhara is off to a good start Haruko Haruhara's Avatar
    Thanks

Re: Quick question about cats.

Your cat, is it trying to attack the butterfly?
    And the water thing, cats are naturally afraid of water but I also have a cat
    that likes to take a shower because when you turn the water on he doesn't run
    and he loves sleeping in the bath tub, also, he is always wet.

Legendary Otaku Snake Champion, Zelda Champion, Crazy Koala Champion, Minigolf Champion, Concentrate Champion, Guess 5 Champion, Batting Champ Champion, Beach Ball Control Champion, Bookworm Champion, Wacky Word Wiz Champion, Fight Fight 3 Champion, Spinner's Luck Champion, Traffic Jam Champion, Yeti Pengu Throw Champion Legend is making a name for themselves Legend is making a name for themselves Legend is making a name for themselves Legend's Avatar
    Thanks

Actually I'm not going to let this thread die, cuz I got another question.

My co-worker owns two cats that are siblings. Since it's kinda awkward to ask him the question I just thought it's better to ask here. Like do the two cats know they are brothers and sisters or they dont?? And what happens when mating season rolls along??

'Cause you give me something / That makes me scared, alright / This could be nothing / But I'm willing to give it a try / Please give me something
    'Cause someday I might call you from my heart

Devoted Otaku Ghattenpaw is off to a good start Ghattenpaw's Avatar
    Thanks

That's a good question. When they are kittens they know who there siblings are. This can be proven by introducing a new kitten to a litter. The litter will his at the new comer. They Identify each other by smell mostly. So I would say that growing up together then moving with a sibling to a new owner they would know they are siblings because their smell didn't change.

On the mater of mating. That is purely instinct. When the Queen goes into heat she doesn't care if it is her brother or father or a strange tom. It is instinct. Same goes for the Toms. If the scent a queen in heat it doesn't matter if she is a sibling or daughter or strange queen. Hormones say mate they mate.

Anything is Pawsable
    Growing old is Mandatory-Growing up is Optional

Ecchi Enthusiast Classic Donkey Kong Champion, Balloon Bomber Champion, Fishing Impossible Champion, Festival Of History : Archery Champion, Dare Devil Champion, Little Monkey Does Champion, Dragon Champion, Barty Champion, Cheesy Champion, Chicken Attack Champion, Moo Lander Champion, Hang Stan Champion, Hangaroo Champion, Sentenced Champion, Canadair Champion Miroku4444 may be famous one day Miroku4444 may be famous one day Miroku4444's Avatar
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Legend View Post

My co-worker owns two cats that are siblings. Since it's kinda awkward to ask him the question I just thought it's better to ask here. Like do the two cats know they are brothers and sisters or they don't?? And what happens when mating season rolls along??
    No they don't. They don't have the brain power for that. IN the dog world everything revolves around pack mentality. Two dogs from then same litter that grow up together don't know their brother and sister. They just think of each other as being in the same pack. In the cat world id guess it would be a Pride?

Banned aceman67 has become well known aceman67 has become well known aceman67 has become well known aceman67's Avatar
    Thanks

And what happens when mating season rolls along??
    Animals have very strong instincts, and when it comes to procreation, they have a strong aversion to Incest, even humans have it, just not to the extent that animals do.

They may not know that they are "brothers" or "Sisters" as we put it, but they do know they are family, and children produced from them will not be strong ones.

Teddy Bear =^_^= Bean Hunter Champion Frozen Rose may be famous one day Frozen Rose's Avatar
    Thanks

My co-worker owns two cats that are siblings. Since it's kinda awkward to ask him the question I just thought it's better to ask here. Like do the two cats know they are brothers and sisters or they dont?? And what happens when mating season rolls along??
    cats have the sense to know if that cat her/his brother or sister they just know that ... they can know every cat by the smell the smell define if that cat came from the same mother or not ... that is why we can see cats smell each other if a cat go out for a day and return , and when that cat come back to home all the cats in the home start smell it to see if this cat the same brother/sister who leaved the home for one day ... everything come by the smell ... =^_^=
    http://www.animeonline.net/avatars/frozen-rose-62446.gif?type=sigpic&dateline=1230225100
    My Dreams Become Like The Rainbow
    Love Like the Wind You Can't See It But You Can Feel It

Legendary Otaku Snake Champion, Zelda Champion, Crazy Koala Champion, Minigolf Champion, Concentrate Champion, Guess 5 Champion, Batting Champ Champion, Beach Ball Control Champion, Bookworm Champion, Wacky Word Wiz Champion, Fight Fight 3 Champion, Spinner's Luck Champion, Traffic Jam Champion, Yeti Pengu Throw Champion Legend is making a name for themselves Legend is making a name for themselves Legend is making a name for themselves Legend's Avatar
    Thanks

I see, that makes sense. One thing I do know is if you bring a stray home or a new kitty home it will rub itself up against everything in the house just to make the item as his territory. And in this case also to get a sense of familiarity.

'Cause you give me something / That makes me scared, alright / This could be nothing / But I'm willing to give it a try / Please give me something
    'Cause someday I might call you from my heart

Ecchi Enthusiast Classic Donkey Kong Champion, Balloon Bomber Champion, Fishing Impossible Champion, Festival Of History : Archery Champion, Dare Devil Champion, Little Monkey Does Champion, Dragon Champion, Barty Champion, Cheesy Champion, Chicken Attack Champion, Moo Lander Champion, Hang Stan Champion, Hangaroo Champion, Sentenced Champion, Canadair Champion Miroku4444 may be famous one day Miroku4444 may be famous one day Miroku4444's Avatar
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Frozen Rose View Post
    cats have the sense to know if that cat her/his brother or sister they just know that ... they can know every cat by the smell the smell define if that cat came from the same mother or not ... that is why we can see cats smell each other if a cat go out for a day and return , and when that cat come back to home all the cats in the home start smell it to see if this cat the same brother/sister who leaved the home for one day ... everything come by the smell ... =^_^=
    No its just a pack thing, they have no idea its their biological mother. No their smelling to make sure there in there pride. There have been lots of cases where a mother cat will take in and raise stray kittens(the kitten will also think its mommy and start nursing). I even heard of dogs taking in a kitten in the pack and thinking its her puppy.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast